Jazz... especially Blues...

pointon

I want to listen to more of it. Unfortunately I have no idea where to start. Anyone know where the best place for a curious newbie like me, would be to begin? Any essential albums? Compilations? Websites? Magazines?

Any help much appreciated. Ta. ;)

G

Gambit

The bluesquest SACD is a good compilation one, if you've got SACD that's a bonus.

R

rob_w

Originally posted by pointon
I want to listen to more of it. Unfortunately I have no idea where to start. Anyone know where the best place for a curious newbie like me, would be to begin? Any essential albums? Compilations? Websites? Magazines?

Any help much appreciated. Ta. ;)

Jazz or blues?

My fav blues people:

John lee Hooker (anything and everything)
BB King same
Look out for compilations with the above + Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, Buddy Guy, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters...

My fav jazz people:

Art Blakey and the Jazz messengers,
Miles Davis (kind of blue is the one .......apparently;) )
Thelonius Monk

Trouble with "jazz" is its split into plenty of sub-genres....I like mostly be-bop/hard bop....

hth

Rob

btw Bill Wyman did a pukka book on blues "Bill Wymans Blues Odessey" - (Dorling Kindersley - isbn 0 7513 3442 1 )

For Jazz try "Jazz" by John Fordham (DK isbn 0 7513 0050 0 )

I've got these, and the Bill Wyman one is great, the Jazz one is good for a grounding....

pointon

Thank you muchly people above... once I have a decent amount of time I'll go on a hunt with those names.

Ta!

Rachael Bitchlist

Originally posted by Gambit
The bluesquest SACD is a good compilation one, if you've got SACD that's a bonus.

I have this disc. It's a hybrid and plays in CD players too.

Some of my recomendations for blues:

Junior Wells
Keb' 'Mo
B.B. King
Albert King
Koko Taylor
Albert Collins
Professor Longhair
Robert Cray
Fenton Robinson
Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers
James Cotton
Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials
Johnny Winter
The Paladins
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
Pinetop Perkins
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Big Joe Turner
Brownie McGhee
Mighty Sam McClain
Robert Lockwood Jr.
The Kinsey Report

and my personal fav...Otis Spann

pointon

Haven't had time to do anything recently. But managed to stop off in HMV during a journey from one busy place to another, and took a look at HMV's own Jazz offerings. Picked up a few compilations for £6 each. Sounding good so far.

Thanks for the help. Hope I get enough time soon to use it.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom