1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jaws 25th Anniversary Edition - DD or DTS version better?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by kev_gordon, Jan 22, 2004.

1. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I bought a brand new region 1 copy of Jaws 25th Anniversary Collectors edition off eBay a couple of weeks ago for the measly sum of £8.60. It's one of my all time favourite films, and as they have discontinued it now, and I see the reg. 2 version selling for £25 on eBay now, I'm well chuffed.

I ordered a DTS version, but they accidentally sent me the DD 5.1 version instead.

My question is whether or not you think I should send it back to get the DTS version? They have said it's no problem, they will send me the correct version and refund my postage etc, so I'm a happy chappy!

I don't yet have a surround system, that is coming soon when funds allow, but being my favourite film, do you think it's worth the hassle of sending it back just to get it with DTS? I'm not gonna spend mega money on the surround kit, I'll just get a decent low range system. If you think it's not worth sending back, then perhaps I will just keep it.

Some advice would be appreciated.

(I really want to rip the cellophane off the DVD and watch it in boring old stereo, but am resisting for the moment in case I do send it back!)

2. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blimey I've just found a big thread where they were discussing the differences between DTS and DD. A bit of a mine-field I think!

Still if anyone has any experience with the Jaws DTS DVD versus the DD one, I would be interested!

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kev,

I can't believe in a film 25 yrs old, the remix would be that good?!?!?! Although a great film, Dolby Digital or DTS is probably irrelevant. I have it DD and its fine (good enough for an old film).

You mention a low range system. Don't let that affect the DVD's you buy! Give it a while and that 'low-budget' system will re-mortgage your house!!! (You might be after help, but everyone will agree these forums will cost you money :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Buy the best quality DVD disc you feel comfortable with. Assuming you get the bug, you don't wan't to have to replace your DVD's aswell as your hardware. It's not cost effective and for the most part (with the odd occassion) it doesn't make that much of a difference. Theres always something else that lets ya system down!! :thumbsdow :laugh: :suicide: :suicide: :rotfl:

Best of Luck (GO ON rip the cover off)
    Stace :D

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi kev_gordon :)

Have a look at the TotalDVD website for a review/comparison.

I've owned both versions - I have the DTS one at the mo and from memory I think the DTS version just edges it in my opinion (but I haven't compared them rigorously) ;)

Sigs

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DTS version and i remember reviews from many different sites which said the DTS version blew the Dolby version outta the water, but i also remember people saying the remixed version is too aggressive but then i like overcooked home cinema and like what they have done with the remix of Jaws.

6. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much all! After sleeping on it, I think I'll just keep what I've got. After all, I'm not going to know what I'm missing without a comparison, and I guess it's better to keep it now I've got it, than possibly lose it in the post and run into all sorts of other trouble!

Oh goody, I get to watch it tonight!

Cheers!

7. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I have the dts version as well and the bass is out of this world though if you are going for a low budget system you might as well stick with what you have got.

8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DTS version is far superior to both the R1 DD5.1 and R2 DD5.1 versions. You can see a comparison review at my site. URL below.

Neil.

9. maguire

maguire
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listen to all my music and movies using the Helmut 'Haas' effect of fooling your brain to hearing 5 ears, so DTS isn't needed. Last Disturbing the Peace fine of $125 was in 1994 when I married 2 devices to provide a full field of reverberation and depth to 'haas' effect. I use Denon AH D-750 full size PQ Headphones for 7 devices. How lazy of me to just switch the phones cord to whatever your listing to. I have so many DVD I would have to look it up, if it is the DTS we can trade. You can have the benefit of hearing Digital Theater Sound. It's a R1 are you region free and does your R-free have DTS capability? You''ll have to look that one up, for if your still region locked, or don't have DTS capability your screwed. :D