1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jasper's living room home cinema

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by jasper_mccrea, Aug 3, 2005.

1. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Here are some pictures of my living room setup. Living in a fairly small one-bedroomed flat, as we do, there wasn't the option of a dedicated room.

We moved in here in June, and this is the first time we've had the option of drilling a lot of holes anywhere. It also had to be pretty wife friendly, so no wires trailing down walls. Actually, apart from that specification, I was given quite free reign.

The tv is a 32" tosh that was carried over from the last flat. I wall mounted it, channeled in the power lead down from the RHS, the aerial and the component video lead down from the LHS. I'm not much for DIY, but this wasn't such a bad job if I do say so myself :)

In the cabinet is a Yamaha RXV-1700, which I use for all the video routing, a Yamaha DVD-550, Toppy, and a PS3. This is all controlled by a Harmony remote, with a Keene IR extender keeping everything looking neat (when the doors are shut - and as long as you don't look under the cabinet!).

Speakers are Tannoy Eyrises (I seem to be a Tannoy man, through and through), 2s at the front, a centre, and three Rs across the back, nearly at ceiling height. Arena subwoofer (more WAF) sits in the corner, soon to be on an auralex gramma that is arriving in the post. The rears have the cabling in the plasterboard wall, and in plastic ducting around the bottom of the skirting board. The ducting replaces the beading that covers the gap between the skirting and the laminate floor, so I don't introduce much more clutter. Cables are cheap - gale stuff to the rears, home made cat-5 with IXOS bananas for the front three.

Video is either to the LCD telly, or the Panasonic AX100 at the back. Screen is a Beamax 215cm 16:9 jobbie. I bought it as a second, and it has some rippling, so I think that is the next thing to upgrade.

The PJ cable is a cheapy 12m component cable, and I just use a Y splitter on the single monitor out from the amp (TV and PJ), which seems to work very well. I don't notice any problems. But an amp that upconverts to component and HDMI would be ideal, so that I could use the HDMI lead for one display and the component out for the other. The PJ cable runs around the ducting with the rear speaker cable, and up inside the partition wall. Looking to upgrade this to an HDMI lead. Wondering if I can run component to the TV and simultaneously HDMI to the projector.. Have to look into what the PS3 can do wrt dual video output, too...

I don't think there's much else to say. I'm happy with how it's turned out so far (with the curtains soon to be in place, I should be able to watch a movie without the shadow of the tree outside being noticeable on the screen :)), and I don't think she indoors is as upset as I might have made her.

For anyone who's interested, the colour is Dulux Dusted Macaroon #4. It's sort of an in between. Light enough so that the living room isn't depressing, yet dark enough that the room isn't distracting when watching a movie.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Looks good, hope you happy with my old PJ *sniff* how much did you get the bulb for in the end mate?

Why not mount the PJ on a shelf that can be pulled down BTW?

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had a 200 with a good bulb, crispy, and swapped them over. The 200's on eBay right now /sheepish. Hopefully the upgrade will only have cost me £50 in the end.

I thought of using a shelf that folded flat, but thought the 'fixed' solution would be better. Although the cardboard contraption may have to be replaced by something more permanent.

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    surely a shelf would look a million times better than the little mirror type thing

5. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    well, I hope to replace it with a less blue peter thing soon. Hopefully with less tape. I don't think it looks all that bad at the moment, though :|

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  7. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    :D I like you style, I too have a preferance for Tannoy :thumbsup: .

Im really pleased to see someone try the mirror idea. Try and look for a laser mirror, as used in the night clubs - these have a mounting that allows full rotation and tilting, dont know if first reflection, might be! they fit loads round the walls to bounce the beam off.........

(H mutters to himself.......its a LAMP, Bulbs grow in the ground.........)

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Unfortunately I have since bought a shelf to put all my star wars figures in, and the PJ is back to a more conventional positioning.

The mirror thing worked really well, though, until it came to trying to shift the image around. If I'd known about the laser mirror mount, I might have stuck with it. (Then again, that 'new' LG that mounts that way is now cheap.)

It is a bulb :) A lamp is something you stick a bulb in. :D

9. John 1987

John 1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I love your room, the TV and front speakers blend seemlessly. :smashin:

10. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I think the mirror/vertical mounted pj is clever but I think it sticks out more than a horizontal mounted one.
    I went the extra mile with my mount because off the shelf mounts were well over the top.