Jason Manford on Trolls & Gary Barlow

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rich Marshall, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
  2. simon ess

simon ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Brilliant, brilliant and, well, just brilliant.

Thanks.

3. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,733
    well said, Jason.

4. Toko Black

Toko Black
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    It should shock me, but it doesn't, because there are plenty of thoughless morons out there and always have been. It's just now with the rise of the internet, face book and twitter, the morons are much more visable. Some obscure bloke or woman you might work with or have met on holiday many years ago and though was okay spouts out some insane venemous drivel which, had it not been on the net, virtually no one would have heard.

The internet is providing a double edged sword. On the one hand it means you end up hearing more of these types of cretinous upsetting comments, but on the other, it acts as a fantastic filtering system to identify those obnoxious twerps you now realise you don't want your kids to ever talk to every again.

Well done Mr Manford for highlighting the vileness and the huge difference between someone who says something in jest but doesn't actually mean it .... and the truely cruel and vileness of a nasty comment that is believed and meant.

5. simon ess

simon ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    TB. One response to his blog wondered about comments from people on the autistic spectrum.

I must admit, that made me stop and think.

What are your thoughts on that?

6. Toko Black

Toko Black
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    As far as I am aware, especially from reading the reprinted comments, that it is unlikely to me to be from someone with high functioning autism.
    Aspergers which is subtley different in that sufferers tend to be more social but lack the social skills like reading others emotional queues. Something I too suffer from regularly but without the lack of empathy.

The comments I read just don't strike me as those of say of someone with Aspergers. A lot of the comments are just thick and ill thought out rather than blunt and lacking social filters. Many of the comments show empathy directed to one party but not another.

There have been headline grabbing cases where an internet troll has been found to be autistic.
    However, I believe that being an internet troll and having autistic spectrum disorders don't corelate significantly enough in that most internet trolls are not autistic and most people with autism* (those that are high functioning enough to make use of such social tools) are not internet trolls.

If they're are individual comments from someone with a mental dysfunction then understandably one needs to make some allowances. It is still socially unnacceptable and needs to be addressed, but any derision needs to be reserved for those who are just plain ignorant and cruel.
    Too many people without conditions that would impare their social functioning just seem to think they can say things on social networking sites because they are to some extent annonymous and detached from reality. They are switching off their own social filters in a mistaken belief that it doesn't really matter or they can 'get away with it'. That is ignorance and cruelity and deserves as much scorn as we can place upon it.

I an open to be educated and informed on the subject though, because I don't have a great deal of experience or information on aspergers in relation to social networking sites. Most of the people I know with Aspergers don't particularly use those types of tools, but that is purely annexdotal and my experience is limited to those people I know.

* a disproportionate amount of computer techies are sufferers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012