Jason Bourne Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I agree, largely a 'by the numbers' typical checklist ticking affair. I'd probably go with 6/10 as it was a missed opportunity to take things into new territory, but they played it safe instead.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, as I had the impression it would take something 'special' to bring them back to the franchise.

As expected they have left the door open for another instalment, but without a change in tack I don't see the point.

I am looking forward to this one, We really have been spoiled over recent years with Damon, Craig & Cruise giving us some excellent action/Spy movies!

I honestly think they have set the bar so high that we expect the impossible from them at times?

It's going to have to wait until I can get the Bluray but sounds like it will be worth it! (Even if it's just for Alicia Vikander :love: )

Thanks Cas :smashin:

Scene 1: Bourne looks pensive/ struggling with demons/ pretending is happy

Scene 2: Bourne meets key contact, evades agents by walking away at above average pace, glanced over shoulder at precise time someone thinks they might have spotted him

Scene 3: Bourne escapes using a non-traditional vehicle, involving steps, down if in a car, up if using a bike, both if feeling dangerous!

Scene 4: As per scene 1 but while in transit to another city

Scene 5: As per scene 2, but this time Bourne catches someone for answers

Scene 6: Use public computer for 23 seconds to unravel conspiracy and determine next location

Scene 7: as per scene 1 and 4...and so on

Enjoyable enough, but felt like a 'greatest hits' album rather than new material.

even a mediocre Bourne movie batters any Bond offerings.

Interesting if not unexpected. I am glad this is the route the creators have taken.
It's so hard to stick out in superiority these days and an action/spy movie like this maybe needed the safe approach, so as not to let the millions of fans it obviously has, down.
As long as it's enjoyably similar; I am happy with that with this particular franchise...
Greengrass and Damon = :thumbsup:
Even though I thought Legacy was 'decent' this one need to be taken back to the roots imo.
It's amazing how many of these actors come 'full circle' along with their respective characters...
Great stuff Cas- Thank You.

To be honest, I think all the Bourne films are poor. The original book is one of my favourites and the Bourne films are so loosely based on the books that they shouldn't be called Bourne!

When I am able to put that aside, I see the films for what they are. A mediocre set of disjointed try hard action thrillers that manage to confuse and lose the story...

To be honest, I think all the Bourne films are poor. The original book is one of my favourites and the Bourne films are so loosely based on the books that they shouldn't be called Bourne!

When I am able to put that aside, I see the films for what they are. A mediocre set of disjointed try hard action thrillers that manage to confuse and lose the story...

I haven't read the books but.....#harsh! :eek:

Saw last night. Very average , nothing new
Next film...Bourne in a Zimmer frame

I haven't read the books but.....#harsh! :eek:
But not inaccurate. Let's be honest, if it wasn't for Damon, these films wouldn't have got past Identity.

Saw last night. Very average , nothing new
Next film...Bourne in a Zimmer frame

I concur, was played very safe, the action scenes went on for EVER and felt they were there only to pad out the non existent story.
On Simon Mayo/Kermodes podcast, i am sure Damon & Greengrass are on the record saying they wouldn't make a fourth.
And for me that was the problem, the entire story was put to bed at the end of the third film, this did not need to be made, that $cheque must have just got to tempting in the end up.
3/10.

I also wasn't a fan of this Bourne flic. I felt like i could predict the ending in the first minute or so. I loved the intrigue of the original (when he gets off the boat near the start and then pieces together who he is) also I remember it showing some lovely parts of Europe and the chase scenes, when they happened were thrilling. This movie was all chase and shaky camera and just Bourne with God-Mode on. I also thought Tommy-Lee's character was a bland pushover.

I never thought I would be sitting in a Bourne movie thinking

oh for Godsake just get to the end

Bourne by numbers
1. Obligatory motorcycle chase
2. meet someone in crowded place and get away from various crack teams
3.horrendously long totally unfeasible car chase, often on the wrong side of the road
4. up close punch up with an ASSET involving strangulation, who by utter coincidence in this case killed his dad!
5. manages to find out what top secret people are doing by bugging or magically getting into their offices
6. wears baseball cap and walks with head down to escape detection
7. Amazingly although they use face recognition to track him makes NO attempt whatsoever to change his appearance other than said cap even at Immigration!
8. Barely speaks
9. Walks away from fight having been shot and half strangled and then looks perfectly fine about a day or so later when he meets new younger , prettier CIA woman and finds out her plan to bring him in or kill him using the cheapo bugging tech he lifted at the convention which they may have just hung a sign on saying PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL BE USED LATER IN THE FILM!

I never thought I would be sitting in a Bourne movie thinking

oh for Godsake just get to the end

Bourne by numbers
1. Obligatory motorcycle chase
2. meet someone in crowded place and get away from various crack teams
3.horrendously long totally unfeasible car chase, often on the wrong side of the road
4. up close punch up with an ASSET involving strangulation, who by utter coincidence in this case killed his dad!
5. manages to find out what top secret people are doing by bugging or magically getting into their offices
6. wears baseball cap and walks with head down to escape detection
7. Amazingly although they use face recognition to track him makes NO attempt whatsoever to change his appearance other than said cap even at Immigration!
8. Barely speaks
9. Walks away from fight having been shot and half strangled and then looks perfectly fine about a day or so later when he meets new younger , prettier CIA woman and finds out her plan to bring him in or kill him using the cheapo bugging tech he lifted at the convention which they may have just hung a sign on saying PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL BE USED LATER IN THE FILM!
10. The CIA's use of that hollywood-gem 'enhance' on a paused video to somehow instantly up the resolution.

Imo, a lot of the complaints here are factors what have previously been the core features of the Bourne films.

Agreed it wasn't up to the standard of the previous 3, and their were certainly some aspects with a question mark over them- but each of the previous 3 films, at their heart featured the same kind of carry on..and if folks were expecting something completely different to the first 3, then quite frankly it wouldnt have been a Bourne film. That's imho.

Last edited:
I cant believe that they are still using that ' COMPUTER' sound in movies which I have never heard a real computer make

I think some of the computer stuff is done as a joke, a usb pen with encrypted engraved on it and some of the commands they give made me laugh. Great use of objects in the fighting as normal.

I saw this last night, and thought it was the best one yet. Great opening first act very tense and the last section was great but i did wonder why his airbag didn't work.

The sound was great for once, the thuds really kicked in a few places once when someone smashes a car window. I really wish that cineworld had shown this on the D box seats as would have got whiplash during the final act.

Only thing i didn't like was the slight change to extreme ways at the end, like the original few single beats.

A girl in her 20's
running a CIA department and by the end offering herself as a director?

Usual Hollywood stuff.

Silencers that reduce the sound of a pistol to a "phut".

Take a blurred image, say, "enhance" and it's razor sharp.

CIA able to hack mobile phones, delete files, hack into other countries CCTV, why bother with agents when you can do it all without leaving the office?
[\spoiler]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom