JasJar still the daddy?

Monty Burns

Hey Guys

as pda/smartphone/doeverything phones go, is the JasJar still the daddy? My MDA 3 is about to fall to pieces and need a replacement.

Can you recommend anything else that will do everything the MDA range will do that beats the JasJar?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Uridium

Depends how big your pockets are (not how much cash you've got :smashin: ) as the JasJar is a bit of a beast to cart around.

I'd take a look at the K-Jam (MDA Vario) or the TyTn (to be released imminently as MDA Vario II) both will do everything the JasJar can do but in a much more portable package (although the K-Jam isn't 3g)

Monty Burns

Hey 'rid,

hope lifes treating you well mate!

Actually, looking at your post above, does the JasJar have HSDPA? If not, what about an alternative?

My pockets, yeah they are big enough ... never had any issues with the mda :)

Thanks for the response!

cedmondson

uridium said:
Depends how big your pockets are (not how much cash you've got :smashin: ) as the JasJar is a bit of a beast to cart around.

I'd take a look at the K-Jam (MDA Vario) or the TyTn (to be released imminently as MDA Vario II) both will do everything the JasJar can do but in a much more portable package (although the K-Jam isn't 3g)
Vario II is already released. I have one right here.

38H21543

Novice Member
I think it depends what you want to use it for most of the time. I've just been demo'd both in an Orange shop. The M3100 is a great looking device, much more compact, and does most things well. But its 320 x 240 screen is not for web browsing and the keyboard didn't seem as positive as the the M5000. Maybe takes some time to get used to it.

To web browse, the M5000 is better at 640 x 480.

I asked to look at the orange web site on the M3100, and it was a mess!

It would be interesting to hear from someone who web browses regularly with these things. I am moving towards the idea you need a tablet such as Nokia 770 or Samsung Q1 type of device. Then you can have your M3100 or smaller device for what it does best.

Monty Burns

thanks for that 38 :thumbsup: Thats the sort of input i am looking for.

Size doesn't matter and I do like the large screen of the MDA3 for showing episodes of "stuff" whilst on the train n stuff.

Uridium

Monty Burns said:
Hey 'rid,

hope lifes treating you well mate!

Actually, looking at your post above, does the JasJar have HSDPA? If not, what about an alternative?

My pockets, yeah they are big enough ... never had any issues with the mda :)

Thanks for the response!
Hi mate, How's the arm? on the mend i hope; Got the VTR back in shape yet?

See my new wheels in the Bike thread? http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302843&page=9
Finally found a successor to the TL!

Anyways Think the new Tytn/VarioII/Hermes/Trion/1605 is the only one with HSDPA support. I had an Blue Angel before my K-Jam and have to say the K-Jam is HUGELY better and I'd imagine the Tytn will be significantly better again with the extra memory on board.

As far as screen size goes I've found the smaller screens on these devices not to be an issue at all.

Monty Burns

uridium said:
Hi mate, How's the arm? on the mend i hope; Got the VTR back in shape yet?
Yeah its almost back to full, can't turn it at some angles any more but the hand has used some squash ball treatment and I can now squeeze the clutch again!:clap: Yeh the sp1 is back in shape but now with added braided hoses and some fairing scrapes down the left hand side. Other than cosmetics, she's all good (in fact, even better)!

uridium said:
See my new wheels in the Bike thread? http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302843&page=9
Finally found a successor to the TL!
Very nice you traitor! :D Seriously, they are very sexy bits of kit (can we say that about in-animate objects?) But, did you not say you would never leave the twin camp?;)

uridium said:
Anyways Think the new Tytn/VarioII/Hermes/Trion/1605 is the only one with HSDPA support. I had an Blue Angel before my K-Jam and have to say the K-Jam is HUGELY better and I'd imagine the Tytn will be significantly better again with the extra memory on board.

As far as screen size goes I've found the smaller screens on these devices not to be an issue at all.
Ahh yes after some reviews here are some lines i found interesting:

"Available in black and silver, the TyTN looks like T-Mobile MDA Vario, but features the specs of the operators MDA Pro handset"

"HTC tell us it is also HSPDA and Edge ready"

"The new model also includes two digital cameras, one for for video calling, the other a two megapixel job with macro mode"

Finaly I can video call my bird who's been able to do this for about 18 months despite having a cheap commercial phone!

I also read that it seems to have 54g wifi :thumbsup: Real bonus at home (i like to fix my wifi speed to 54g) :) I have to admit, this does look like a winner and the screen size, well I will have to demo it first just to make sure im 100% with it.

Thanks for the input guys! :clap:

P.s It will be a pain in the rear that I can't use my current SD card but ... hohum :rolleyes:

edit: lines quoted are from Pocketlint and The Register websites.

Monty Burns

How do Blackberry's compare to Smartphones in general?

Do they have all the same 3g stuff? HSDPA? Video calling? Available software (such as Tom Tom etc)?

I have a mate thats quite high up in RIM's technology development but I can never get an unbiased answer from him :D

well iv got a qtek 9000 (simfree jasjar/xda exec/spv m5000/ mda pro)
just got the charging usb port repaired theyre known to be quite weak, however only cost £15 to repair and toughen up.

had mine a while now, had xda exec version 1st but sold it on and got qtek version.

im still loving this phone to bits.

battery life could be better when its being heavily used (wifi, gaming messing around) but mines also overclocked to 620mhz.

if u have car cradle however its also being charged on way to and from work so that helps battery.

im never without mine, got tomtom on there loads of emuilators for classic gaming, and it just generally a great gadget.
i like the flip up/rotate/ screen, looks nice when fully closed and protects the screen.

they keyboard is a true gem and not a gimmick.
i had spv m2000 before with the small slide out screen and hardly used it, however this keyboard is a joy to use.

plenty of software available to tailor it to your needs.
the vga screen is great quality and you really notice the difference compared to other pda's

if mine broke id defo buy another one!

Monty Burns

Thanks to all for your input (where has the thankyou button gone?).

Now got myself a HTC TyTN and loving it :thumbsup:

Also signed up to webnwalk and have it collecting my email every half an hour, telling me the weather and doing all sorts of other flashy things (once my memory card gets here!)

So much more pocket friendly than my Blueangel although I do miss the large screen tbh:rolleyes:

Again, thanks guys! :thumbsup:

g00n3r

Novice Member
Yup I think it's just about perfect, for now anyway.

Good size, keyboard, screen, battery, wifi, I'm very pleased with it.

I have 2x M5000's for sale if anybody is interested, one unlocked and one not.

g00n3r said:
Yup I think it's just about perfect, for now anyway.

Good size, keyboard, screen, battery, wifi, I'm very pleased with it.

I have 2x M5000's for sale if anybody is interested, one unlocked and one not.
have a peek over at xda developers im sure theyv made a free unlock software for spv m5000/jasjar/exec etc now, just run on the machine itself job done ;) should help with the sale

dej23

Mate make sure you change the dns and proxy setting as found on modaco.com this will make the internet a lot faster

Monty Burns said:
Thanks to all for your input (where has the thankyou button gone?).

Now got myself a HTC TyTN and loving it :thumbsup:

Also signed up to webnwalk and have it collecting my email every half an hour, telling me the weather and doing all sorts of other flashy things (once my memory card gets here!)

So much more pocket friendly than my Blueangel although I do miss the large screen tbh:rolleyes:

Again, thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Monty Burns

eh???

/me rushes to modaco.com

Never heard of this but will check it out now!:thumbsup:

edit: Thats a BIG website, never seen it before so thanks for the awesome link! Can you give me a pointer in the page I should be looking for please?

Monty Burns

Thanks loads for that :thumbsup:

Settings pumped in .... nice to leave this concrete n steel cage and try it after work :D

Uridium

Daddy k said:
have a peek over at xda developers im sure theyv made a free unlock software for spv m5000/jasjar/exec etc now, just run on the machine itself job done ;) should help with the sale
I see that TomTom6 is doing the rounds on the XDA Developers site, anyone tried it yet?

nope but i may do a back up tonight and give it a whirl lol

infact its not a really worthwhile upgrade unless the maps have been really well updated.

the other features really offer nothing.
however the multi platform is a good idea, should mean u can put one on the mrs series 60 nokia aka early learning centre edition pda and the other on the big boys toy knows as a pocket pc ;)

apolloa

The JasJar is still the king in size, it's HUGE. But I guess it's the knig in features for it's time, but the TyTn beats it now I'm sure that it'll be replaced though with something better and more advanced and just as big.

Monty Burns

apolloa said:
The JasJar is still the king in size, it's HUGE. But I guess it's the knig in features for it's time, but the TyTn beats it now I'm sure that it'll be replaced though with something better and more advanced and just as big.

Thanks for the advice if a little late :)

I did indeed plump for the Tytn and its working ace :thumbsup: I also have to agree with you, im sure the JasJar will soon be replaced as its the flagship model but appears to of been outdated by the Tytn.

until a significantly more powerful pda with good sized qwerty keyboard comes out im sticking with my jasjar.

Mines running at 624mhz, and is great
until theres one with say 750mhz standard and more program memory (which may be a windows mobile 5 addressing prob to be honest) my black beauty is fine ;)

apolloa

Sorry for the late reply Monty but you seemed to of made your mind up fairly quickly and got the phone I would of brought out of your choices.

Trending threads

Latest threads

Top Bottom