Japanese speakers on North American receivers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lacrimosa, Aug 16, 2013.

1. lacrimosa

lacrimosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.) Is it possible for me to use the speakers from an all-in-one dvd home theater set from japan on a receiver from North America?
    2.) Are power levels from a receiver too high for these speakers?
    3.) The speakers have plugs to connect with the player. Do I have to cut it off to connect it from a receiver?
    4.) How would blu-ray quality audio sound on a dvd home theater speaker?
    5.) Would region differences make it not work?

The system in question is a sony DAV-DZ210:lease:

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,163
    1.) Japanese Speakers vs American Amp - Where did you find an American Amp? Virtually everything today is made in China. Anything is possible, but what is possible is not always wise.

Several factors come into play. Most prominently is the impedance of the speakers, and the Load capability of the amp. Not knowing either it is hard to say, but generally speaking, there shouldn't be a problem.

2.) Power ratings - Again, not having the specifics, it is hard to say. It depends on which speakers and which amp, but overall, at normal levels, the average power is relatively low, so as long as you stay reasonably restrained, it will probably work.

3.) Speaker Plugs - Again, I can't know what I can't see. Do the speaker wires have plugs on both ends, or just the end that would normally connect to the amp?

Is the Sony DAV-DZ210 the new amp or the one you are getting rid of?

4.) BluRay speakers vs DVD Speakers - no such thing, speakers are speakers and they are as good as they are.

5.) Region different - it depends on what you are referring to. Region differences are about DVD/CD/BluRay from one part of the world not working in another part of the world. Unless you have content from a geographic area different than your own, this is not a problem.

Given what you are asking, it would seem you are on an extremely limited budget, we've all been there, but without the exact specs on all your equipment, it is next to impossible to say whether there will be any conflicts in this system.

Short of specs, if we had the exact brand and model of each piece of equipment, we could then look the specs up.

Steve/bluewizard

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    What is the impedance of the speakers? Most all in one speakers are low impedance and anything under 4ohms should not be used with an AV receiver. Hence you probably will not be able to use them.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    Country of origin - makes no difference.

American Receiver - where are you intending to use it? If you are in the UK you need to ensure it works on 240v.

All-in-One speakers - the usual problem (and this applies to the Sony you list) is that the Subwoofer is passive (so requires amplification) whereas a conventional Sub is 'active' and is not relying on the AVR for power.

Blu-ray - if you have the complete Sony DAV system and it all works simply plug an Optical Output of the BD Player into the Sony and the Video of the BD (assuming your TV has HDMI) direct to the TV.

If you list the Receiver you have and dimensions of your room folk can advise on a suitable speaker system to partner it if you want to replace the Sony system.

Joe

5. lacrimosa

lacrimosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an amp/receiver, so it's just that I want to to know what type i need to get. The dvd player amp is useless here in Canada because of regions....However, I'm plannin on hooking up the speakers to a ps3.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lacrimosa

lacrimosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I think I want to do is to plug our ps3, which is our blu ray player, through a receiver that uses the speakers from the japanese system, which is useless here in Canada because of regions stuff. Any ideas?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    A Stereo 2RCA cable between the PS3 and the Sony Amp is all you require.

Joe

8. lacrimosa

lacrimosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would that be able to carry the 5.1 surround audio mix from blu rays, or just 2 channel audio?

9. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    2 stereo only, the only way to get 5.1 is with optical or coaxial or hdmi or 5.1/7.1 inputs
    which the sony job doesn't have, and if you want a new av receiver then you will more than likely need all new speakers, as I expect the sonts are lower than 4ohms.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    From what I can see the speakers are 3 ohms so can not be used with an AV receiver and the sub also appears to be passive so again can not be used with an AVR. Hence you can not use your current speakers with an AVR.
    Joes suggestion of using the RCA connections is the only way you will get the speakers to work but this will not give you proper 5.1 since only a stereo signal can be sent via RCA.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    As Scotthehat and PSM1 say two channel only - though the Sony will 'matrix' it to give you a surround sound effect and in all honesty it'll not make much difference via the DAV system vs a 'true' 5.1 signal.

If you are unhappy with the results a new AVR + 5.1 Sat/Sub system is required - plus the $$$ to pay for them!

Joe