Japanese Horror - Good and Bad News!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 17, 2003.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Folks,

Okay, first the bad news:

Sadly, Kinji Fukusaku, acclaimed director of "Battle Royale" (amongst many others), died a few days ago, on January 12th, 2003. He had been taken to hospital following complications of prostate cancer some weeks earlier, during the filming of "Battle Royale II".

My condolences to his family and friends, on this tragic loss to Japanese cinema. A director of over 60 films, not to mention his acting, writing and production roles. :(

The good (well, good-ish) news:

"Junk" has been passed uncut by the BBFC, and is due for release in the middle of Feb 2003. It will be subtitled, uncut, with a Japanese soundtrack, removeable English subititles, and a 16:9 anamorphic print. Extras have yet to be announced.

"Evil Dead Trap" has been passed, almost uncut, by the BBFC. Similar to "Junk" in it's format (e.g. Subtitled, 16:9 print, etc), it will be out on Jan 27th. It is missing 8 seconds, but these were compulsory. (Close-ups of a knife cutting into human flesh, in a heavily sexualised content.)

My question, is this: which version on DVD, of the above two films, would any of you recommend?

Cheers, in advance,

Pooch

2. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    but while someone continue on making BR2?

Please say yes.

3. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    YES his son who co-directed it will finish the film.
    HTH

4. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    PoochJD
    Junk or Evil dead trap - depend on your taste of movies - if you like Zombie flicks you should like Junk - Evil dead trap is a strange mix of Argento/Fulci style deaths and wacky japanese style (The ending) - I love it :D there plenty of gore - I'm guessing the scenes cut by the bbfc is the rather nasty Snuff sequence near the begining.
    Just a bit of a warning these films are being released by Artsmagic
    who sadly have yet to release a good quality dvd - there releases of the Lone wolf and cub series are just LD ports and suffer bad picture and sound.
    I've got the R1 release of Evil dead trap by Synapse the picture and sound aare very good (not anamorphic sadly) with a very funny Audio com by the director, which sounds like they just sat down with a tape recorder and watched the movie and did the Audio com.
    Junk is coming out as a R1 release by Unearthed films who have just released some very good quality dvds of the Guinea pig series

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    The R1 of EDT is the one you want Pooch. I don't like the film myself, but the R1's got more to offer than the upcoming R2. It starts off well but degenerates into nonsense quite rapidly. Nice sliced eyeball though. It's got the obligatory Jap movie rape scene too.

Junk's an attrocious movie. I can't think of a single good thing to say about it other than the original Jap/pigeon English soundtrack is hysterical. Which is no recommendation. Throw money at it at your peril.

6. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thats terrible news, arguably one of the greatest directors of all time.

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Rambo John J
    Junk isnt that bad :D i've seen alot worse (redneck zombies,oasis of the living dead,children of the living dead,resident evil etc)
    Wild zero is much more fun though and is due from Synapse sometime soonish - They are also doing Stacy any idea if this is any good??

Awful news on Kinji Fukusaku - Battle royale was the only film i have seen of his but after seeing that i will be on the lookout for the other ones he made. I hope his son manages to keep up the great standards his father was doing.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I will bear that all in mind.

Pooch