1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japanese HDTV "D" Connector?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Big Adam, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone come across this before?

I've been researching graphics cards with "HDTV Output" and they all appear to be via what they describe as a "D Connector".

The D Connector appears about the same size as a HDMI socket but with a slightly different configuration. A little searching has revealed that this connector is of a format adopted by the Japanese.

A piccy of the D connector is shown below (this is on a HD Camcorder) and apparantly it operates in 4 modes:
    D1 Standard 480i DV video
    D2 480p - 640x480 progressive at 60fps
    D3 1080i HDTV
    D4 720p HDTV

I've now bought a graphics card which happens to have one of these connectors. Not got a cable or anything to plug it into! :laugh:

I'll be sticking with the DVI and Component outputs for the time being but just wondered if anyone had seen a plasma or TV which had a D connector socket. Would be interesting to view the output.

Attached Files:

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Think the Japanese D connector is an analogue component or analogue RGB connection standard.

AIUI it is the Japanese version of SCART, or 3xPhono component, interconnects, capable of carrying HD and SD video. I think they created their own standard because they went analogue HD before anyone else? Presumably it dates back to the days of MUSE-HD analogue transmission - they'd have needed a connector to connect their W-VHS (analogue HD) machines to their TVs and Receivers, and I believe it is present on HD satellite receivers, TVs and BluRay recorders on sale in Japan? AFAIK it isn't digital - like DVI or HDMI - but analogue like SCART or Component analogue Y PrPb Phonos.

3. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After fishing around it would appear that you are quite correct. It's an alternative analogue component connection standard.

Think I'll stick with my nice fat chunky component cables for the time being :smoke:

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Looks like an Amphenol connector (as used on parallel printer cables - at the printer rather than PC end) - but roughly the same size as a 9 pin sub-mini D-type or 15 pin HD-mini D-type (as used for serial ports or VGA connectors)

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I livei n Japan and this conection is a standard here. Its pronounced "D Tanshi" or D conection. I think the D is supposed to stand for Digital but it blatantly isnt. Its basically the same quality as a component conection and you can even get cables that are D Tanshi to Component. They are both interconective.

The only real digital conections are in fact DVI and HDMI.

6. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    AML,
    Just out of interest, is a 'D Tanshi' cable significantly thinner than a traditional 3-core component cable and if so, is the quality similar?

Of absolutely no use to me whatsoever, but just curious. :rolleyes:

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The quality of D Tanshi is inferior to component as component splits the three colors (RGB) into sepparate lines. D Tanshi just puts them all into one cable. You can get high grade Component cables too but High grade D Tanshi cables are harded to find outside of japan.

Stick with component untill HDMI and DVI become the next standard.

By the way.
    I use D Tanshi to conect my Digital Tuner to my Plasma.
    I can get High Vision (HDTV) and the resolution is 1125i (1080i) through the cable.

Its not digital but you can still get the picture through this cable. Much like the XBox can get games in 720p and 1080i through its component cable.

The only reason I use D Tanshi here is because in some cases I have to. Not because I want to. Its a crappy conection for retards that think compnent is "too hard to conect". It is also cheaper as a conection which is why it became the standard here. Im just glad its on its way out and to be replaced by HDMI and DVI.