1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japanese DVD Releases

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Grimley, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading the Japanese DVD reviews on here has led me to think (yes, you can hear the cogs grinding in protest!:devil: :p )
    what have we done here in the UK to deserve lesser versions of the same films here? :confused: I for one would like copies of Blade & Terminator with DTS soundtracks, but i'm certainly not prepared to pay the sort of prices stated to import those sort of titles from Japan!:mad:

This subject may have been discussed B4 regarding R1 titles being better but they're region 2 discs ferchrissake! Is it gonna increase the cost of manufacturing the discs here to convert the TV signal fron Japanese to UK specs, not by much i'll bet.....

Does anyone else here share my opinion on this issue?

Answers on a postcard (aren't they a dying format) please.

2. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think dvd is so widley available in this country ,the ordinery joe just wants a dvd to watch on tv, whats the point of transfering blade for example into dts and releasing it now?its an old movie and probably every dvd player owner probably has it, the same goes for terminator. also the casual movie collectors life doesn,t revolve around dts this and dolby digital that

3. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    out of curiosty what are the prices for blade dts and terminator dts, and who is selling?the terminator dvd sold out quickly and it has been stated its impossible to find and has already been deleted!!!!!!!!!!

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I get all my R2 Jpn from cdjapan,hmv,amazon.

Cdjapan lists quite a few titles OOP.. but I reckon that usually means they have sold there allocation and cannot get any more.

Example here is that they had listed Tomb Raider DTS OOP for ages but I was still able to order it from HMV Jpn a few weeks back.

Terminator is still available from amazon and hmv (i have it one the way from amazon)

Usually the price of discs average £20-25 inc postage (unless u get caught by customs.

Hmv only offer one postage which is fedex so its real quick.
    cdjapan offer EMS and airmail.
    amazon offer 3 I think from courier to airmail.. I currently am trying the cheapest amazon mail to see how long it takes.

At the moment I am only really buying interesting DTS Jpn discs..and am waiting for :

Ronin Ultimate
    X-men Ultimate
    Spy kids Box set
    Terminator Ultimate
    The Transporter
    Arnie Triple Box (6th Day, Total Recall, T2)

I think they are worth the money as they really make an effort with the quality of the discs, and even the packaging.. you do feel like you are buying something special.. and though they are expensive.. you can usually recover the cost when u sell them on as they are not as easily available (unless a later R1 DTS version removes the need for the jpn one!)

Cheers

Matt

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    I dont think it will be long before the UK starts to get discs which match those available in Japan.
    In fact Universal, Buena Vista (disney) and Columbia Tristar release many editions here in the UK with dts sound that are not available in other countries such as Red Dragon, Trainspotting, Recent disney titles and Superbit.

The appeal with the Japanese titles is tha fact they have great packaging and the audio visual quality is first rate with many 1506kbps dts track available.
    The cost of importing is not huge either, £20-25 per disc plus between £4 and £13 customs depending on how many you import.

6. Fusionator

Fusionator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could not resist anymore so I went ahead and ordered Ronin : Ultimate Edition as well as Jurassic Park and The Lost World Superbit dvd's.
    I am looking forward in seeing these discs and when they arrive and have seen them I will post some findings here.

THX 1138,

You are right by saying that many titles in region 2 have been blessed where as the Americans do not have these dts tracks but many Asian titles have dts where they will never be released over here in Europe like The Sum Of All Fears or Austin Powers.
    I own many Asian titles and I've always enjoyed watching them.
    Let's hope that in the future we will see more of these titles over here.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pardon my being stupid, but would it not be cheaper if there was a single print making each region identical? That surely must be cheaper than there being a dozen different ones!!!!

Ad

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ohhh.. I really want to hear what u think of the JP superbits.. they are on my shopping list :)

Matti

9. xenon

xenon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cd japan have Terminator 2 and StarGate listed, both look to be the Pioneer issues with full bitrate DTS, they are a bit on the expensive side. Anyone have these? And does anyone know if The Transporter is full bitrate DTS?

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm expecting my DTS edition of Cutthroat Island at the end of next week, hope customs don't hit me but i guess they will, anyways i'm not sure what the final cost is but i bought from CDJapan which seems kinda expensive, whats the current japanese to uk exchange rate ?

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Matt, Hoping to have the JP Superbits for Review soon.

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    :)

13. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    OK, Just ordered our review copies of the following;
    Black Hawk Down (2 Disc DTS)
    Jurassic Park (Superbit)
    The Transporter (DTS)

FM, let me know if Cutthroat Island is anamorphic and we will review next month.

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,402
    It's not a case of what print is used, but how the print is trasnferred to DVD. What data rate and what soundtrack is used etc.
    And this CAN'T be the same for France, Germany, Japan, the UK etc for very obvious language reasons.
    And once lots of subtitles have been added, and an English and, say, German 5.1 DD soundtrack, there simply isn't room for a DTS soundtrack.

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Pretty sure cutthroat is anamorphic.. I have Hard Rain from the same release period.. and it was :)

Also just received my cdjapan order...the packaging for Ronin and X-Men is excellent.. and the DTS soundtrack on Spy kids superb.. (not looked at the sequel yet)

Cheers

Matt

16. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I don't understand about certain Japanese DVD releases is why the DTS soundtrack is in English? :confused: If its intended for sale in Japan, wouldn't they dub the soundtrack into Japanese? I'm certain not all Japanese people speak or understand English.....:p :rolleyes:

17. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah right..... i can understand that Stuart! I hadnt even considered the space issue.

Is it really worth going for these imports? Is it worth spending twice the amount? Is the image and picture quality much improved? (and no...... 'it's dts so it must be better' stuff! :p)

Ad

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    The production values are excellent on most releases and of course they are ntsc so no speed up issues etc.

19. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    More often that not the Japanese releases are the definitive versions. Just look at Total Recall, Ronin and The Terminator for example, they feature most of the extras found on the US and/or UK releases, they have both the DD and DTS soundtarcks and are packaged with genuine care. I have all three and they are fantastic.

20. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    :rolleyes: thats not you boasting again Tee:hiya:

What Tee says is almost right, they are usually the definitive version, until the next definitive version gets released:rolleyes:

21. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I couldn't help it - I just couldn't let this thread go without replying now could I?! :smoke: :D

I know what you mean about the definitive, super, director's editions though........ it is very annoying to anyone who is a collector of DVDs. Hopefully the DVDs I mentioned will be the definitive versions!

22. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i'll take your word and think i will order one once my credit card clears...... then i can see for myself! :D

Ad

23. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
  24. xenon

xenon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, I'll look forward to that Transporter review!

Sorry to ask again about Terminator 2 and Stargate, but does anyone have these and think they are worth the extra cost over the half bit-rate versions that are available? I've been wanting to get Terminator 2 and it would be nice to buy a really good version. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

25. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Probably not. I do have T2 Spec edition coming in a arnie boxset from cdjapan.. I'll have a listen once it arrives and compare it to my region 1 ultimate edition.

Cheers

Matt

26. xenon

xenon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks man :smashin: How about Armageddon DTS? It's a bit difficult (expensive!) to get hold of. I saw it once on a DTS demo disc, but to hear the whole thing in full bitrate :eek: Anyone here ever tracked down a copy?

27. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Oh its very nice (I have one) but its non - anamorphic.. though still a great picture...

Matt

28. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Cuthroat Island has arrived i have to pick it up from post office.
    £30 for the disc but the customs and post office have slapped on another £20 its daylight robbery, i just hope the disc is anamorphic as advertised on the site and is a fullbitrate DTS edition will post later and let everyone know if the quality of the disc is any good.

29. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Why £20 from the PO.. sounds real steep. It seems customs are getting their act together :( All 3 of my last shipments have been caught :

Tomb Raider / Harts War (HMV Japan Fedex) £18
    Spy Kids 1/2, ronin, x-men (cdjapan airmail) £16
    Arnie collection - T2, Sixth Day, Total Recall £10

Gotta find another etailer to provide Japan R2 Discs.. if they stock them I will use yesasia.com as they ship from within the UK and there prices are pretty good :)

Cheers

Matt

30. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Initial impressions of my japanese version of Cutthroat Island are very good, the film automatically defaults to DTS when u first put the disc in and the picture is extremely smooth and crisp, occasional slight shimmering in places but this was also on the non-anamorphic american edition, the DTS sound seems to add more clarity to the surrounds and of course more low end bass.

Will watch the whole film tomorrow, it has an english trailer in widescreen and the fabulous demo quality DTS disc trailer before the film begins, anyways if only i could find a supplier that was cheaper id buy more films from japan the quality is top knotch but at £50 a disc i'm not going to buy many more.