Japanese Armageddon DTS. Why does it cut off either side?

nero0410

Distinguished Member
I have been lucky enough to source the Japanese DTS version Armageddon, and have had it for a while.

I know it states that it is in a letterbox ratio (which I thought just meant that I have black bars at the top and bottom), but I have never understood why it cuts off eitherside?
(see pic, my appologies as I just took a very quick shot so a bit blurred)

I know it is 2.35.1 non anamorphic widescreen, though not really sure if that has anything to do with it?

Does anyone know how I can get around this?

Thanks

tris

EDIT:

Thought I'd better add that I use windvd 9 plus, and/or zoom player with seesaw ffdshow combo

Last edited:

SyStemDeMoN

thats pretty strange, the only thing i can think of is perhaps the movie is encoded slightyly different. it looks like the DVD player is outputting in 4:3, but also with the bars at the top. try setting your DVD player to output at 4:3 instead of 16:9 and just see if this fixes the problem.

neuty

Distinguished Member
It looks like your player is outputting the film at a lower resolution to your screen.I get this with my Xbox 360 playing back avi's.
You will need to use the zoom feature on your LCD to fill the screen.
Only my own assumption from what i've experienced.

neuty

Shaun666

The answer is in the original post surely ? The disc is not anamorphic so you need to use the zoom functions on your tv so that it fills the width of your screen.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
This is a strange one as it is the only movie it does this with:confused:

thats pretty strange, the only thing i can think of is perhaps the movie is encoded slightyly different. it looks like the DVD player is outputting in 4:3, but also with the bars at the top. try setting your DVD player to output at 4:3 instead of 16:9 and just see if this fixes the problem.
The zoom function doesnt work in pc mode, I'm using my HTPC not a dvd player and tried it with windvd and zoom player.

It looks like your player is outputting the film at a lower resolution to your screen.I get this with my Xbox 360 playing back avi's.
You will need to use the zoom feature on your LCD to fill the screen.
Only my own assumption from what i've experienced.

neuty
As above I use my HTPC with windvd 9 plus or zoom player and the zoom function of the lcd doesn't work on PC mode.

I set the resolution to 1024x768 and it then had giant black bars across the top and bottom of the screen, but not at the sides but seemed stretched.EDIT: I mean squashed.

MY normal resolution that I never have a problem with, with any of my other films is 1280x768, which brings that black bars at either side again:(

The answer is in the original post surely ? The disc is not anamorphic so you need to use the zoom functions on your tv so that it fills the width of your screen.
I'm not aware of the differences between anamorphic and non animorphic

I'm not able to use the zoom in pc mode :(

Are there any other solutions that I could try?

I have both r2 uk and r2 japanese versions of the film and the uk version is fine, it's just the japanese version.

Don't suppose it is possible to conjoin the DTS of my japanese version with the anamorphic of my uk version? If this can be answered without talking about ripping as it is not allowed here

tris

Last edited:

J1mbo

Novice Member
This is a strange one as it is the only movie it does this with:confused:

The zoom function doesnt work in pc mode, I'm using my HTPC not a dvd player and tried it with windvd and zoom player.

As above I use my HTPC with windvd 9 plus or zoom player and the zoom function of the lcd doesn't work on PC mode.

I set the resolution to 1024x768 and it then had giant black bars across the top and bottom of the screen, but not at the sides but seemed stretched.EDIT: I mean squashed.

MY normal resolution that I never have a problem with, with any of my other films is 1280x768, which brings that black bars at either side again:(

I'm not aware of the differences between anamorphic and non animorphic

I'm not able to use the zoom in pc mode :(

Are there any other solutions that I could try?

I have both r2 uk and r2 japanese versions of the film and the uk version is fine, it's just the japanese version.

Don't suppose it is possible to conjoin the DTS of my japanese version with the anamorphic of my uk version? If this can be answered without talking about ripping as it is not allowed here

tris
This DVD was designed to be watched in widescreen on a 4:3 TV, not being anamorphic results in problems when played back on a widescreen telly. Those of us with the otherwise excellent DVD of 'The Abyss' will have come across this problem before...:mad:

Zoom is the obvious fix for this problem, though I find I still lose small amounts of the sides of the image and obviously the picture grain worsens through the zoom function.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
This DVD was designed to be watched in widescreen on a 4:3 TV, not being anamorphic results in problems when played back on a widescreen telly. Those of us with the otherwise excellent DVD of 'The Abyss' will have come across this problem before...:mad:

Zoom is the obvious fix for this problem, though I find I still lose small amounts of the sides of the image and obviously the picture grain worsens through the zoom function.
You know, you have upset me now.

The last time I watched my Abyss was on my old projector when I used to run my resolution at 1024x768, so I had not noticed that before :(

Just checked it out and definately the same problem :(

They run fine through my dvd player, which outputs via progressive component @ 480p/576p, and when changing my res to 1024x768, but the image quality loss is horrible.

Now I understand how it works I really do not like non anamorphic, it's disgusting:mad:

Oh well nothing can be done from my end as I cant keep my trusty 1280x768 resolution and zoom it in as the option for the zoom is greyed out via thed pc input.

Thanks for the explanation :)

tris