1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japanese Anime Question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Pioneer, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can get (or if available) a version of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and Appleseed with English subtitles?

Cheers

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Pioneer,

"Appleseed" (2004 version) will be out on Region 1 (US DVD) from May 10th 2005.

"Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence" is already out on Region 1, but the English subtitles that have been used on the film, are Hard Of Hearing Subtitles. This means, that you get the names of the characters speaking, sound effects, and other information come-up on screen, as well as what is actually being said. Thus, instead of standard subtitles, you'll see things like [Trees creak] [Heavy gunfire] [Batou: He's in the basement level. I'll cut 'em off at the interchange.] and that kind of thing.

If you don't mind that, then by all means get the US DVD, but most of us are seeing if the eventual Region 2 UK release might be an improvement.

Both films mentioned above, might already be out on Region 2 Japanese DVD, but I can't confirm if they do/don't have English subtitles. Sorry. :)

Pooch

3. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Good news on the Ghost in the shell movie 2 - Dreamworks have now redone the english subtitles so they are proper ones - Most online stores should have this new version in stock now - It has a V. 4 sticker on the back on the cover.

4. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll wait and see what the reviews are on GITS 2 US version before buying. The US seem to be inept when it comes to putting together a good quality foreign package with subtitles.

This means I am not too hopeful about a good relase of Appleseed which is a shame. I have trawled around the usual Asian DVD websites looking for an Asian release with subtitles but no joy. Any idea when the R2 versions might appear?

Cheers

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Pioneer,

"Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence" will be out in the UK, around June/July 2005 approx. No details as to what extras/soundtrack formats will be included though, at this time.

"Appleseed" will hopefully be with R2 viewers by the end of the year. However, "Appleseed" is being fough over by several firms who want the movie and home viewing rights. As such, until this gets sorted out, it could be a long wait.

Pooch

6. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Pooch, its a bit surprising that there has not been a Japanese SE with subs yet as they are pretty good for that, so looks like I'll just have to wait or learn Japanese!!!

Not sure if you already know, but the new Korean "Sky Blue" looks pretty good, here you can watch the first 8 minutes... http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2658922?htv=12

7. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

One thing you must know about Japanese anime DVDs is that you will almost never have any subtitles except japanese ones. It's extremely rare to have subtitles, and the R2 JP Ghibli releases are the few exceptions. I've been to Tokyo again last month, and I confirm that despite thorough searching, all I found was japanese only... quite annoying given the fact that you have more and more absolutely beautiful special boxed sets coming out there, which are miles away from what we get here...

8. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah what a blow, having got into anime through Spirited Away and Ghost in the Shell I was somewhat dissapointed to learn that these are a minority for English subs.
    It's almost a crying shame to see those great Japanese DVD boxsets go to waste when they could sell so many more if they made a bit more effort :(

9. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I dont recommend getting the Japanese DVD's of any of these films.
    First of all they hardly ever include subtitles and GITS 2 is no exception.

2nd. Jp DVD's, especially manga, cost a fortune.
    (ie. Dragon Ball Z box set= 500 quid. And there are 2!)

Stick with R1 or R2 UK.
    The only good thing about Jp DVDs is the original and usually really nicely done packaging.

11. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would generally agree, accept that R1 versions of anime in general are not very good as the usually cock up the subs and overall quality of the film.

That said I bought the Jap R2 version of Spirited Away which has English subs and the PQ is fantastic, so if you can be certain of English subs then I think the Japanese versions are worth the investment.

12. Appleseed

Appleseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, do not expect to see me around again, as this is a one-time post

Mod Edit: Too right, it's a one time post. Any future posts promoting piracy will be deleted along with your membership.