1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japan PSP (sharp screen) or US PSP (samsung screen)?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Tetlee, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,466
    Hi all,

Doe's anyone know which screen is better out of the Samsung or Sharp screen? I see some ebay sellers claiming that the Sharp screen is superior to the US Samsung, is this true?
    Trying to decide which to order, guess apart from the screens doesn't make much difference apart from UMD region coding :)

2. KezzaBezza25

KezzaBezza25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can't speak for the US version but i've got the Jap version and the screen is excellent. However, if you read up on Samsung their not happy chaps at present because their product is as good as Sony's but their brand is crap and that's why people ask the questions you've just asked.

I would say that the samsung screen will be quality (they wouldn't ship a heap of crap to the states) so choose what you want. I think the Sharp vs Samsung argument is pretty fickle

3. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Ive got a usa psp and the picture seems very good quality to me to be honest :thumbsup:
    Is there anywhere apart from places that sell psp's that claim the jap sharp screens are better quality than a usa samsung ? ...I just wondered if it was said to get people buy the Jap psp as the usa would be more favourable as it got spiderman 2 umd free on first batch and has all english manuals etc: :rolleyes:

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    There was a side by side comparison on the net some time ago.

Whilst I imagine the Samsung screen is ok in it's own right. When compared side by side against the Sharp it certainly appeared far inferior.

Not sure about the response time comparison. The Sharp is prone to ghosting so the Samsung maybe better in that. But for picture quality Samsung wasn't even close to the Sharp :eek:

5. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    It was decided that the comparison picture was a fake. The difference was just too much .

6. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We used Samsug laptops and tft screens at work and the picture quality is brilliant. NO dead pixels either. A rumour has been going around that Samsung is promiseing a no dead pixel policy and that may well sort out the dead pixel problem by the time Sony relase the PSP in Europe

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    If you look at some of the Samsung mobile phones, they are generally regarded as one of, if not, the best screens out there. Not only that, but Sony have apparently "recruited" them in helping them with their LCD TV screens - so I would imagine they aren't exactly going to be duff.

8. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yep I agree, I dont think we have anything to worry about the quality of Samsung products. They are now number two behind Nokia in the mobile phone market

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Whilst they maybe ok. I wouldn't like to comment until I've seen them for myself beside a Sharp one. When it comes to TFT screens the Samsung's are generally not close to the Sharps which are regarded as one of the very best of the premium brand manufacturers of screens. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Samsung was inferior. Nor have I read that article on comparison was ever discredited, if I recall correctly it was released by Sony themselves ?

10. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well at the end of the day, anyone now importing a PSP or waiting for a UK spec one will have a Samsung screen rather than a Sharp so I guess it is immaterial

11. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the picture that was posted was a picture of 2 tft monitors as i recall, a sharp one and a samsung one. Somone included it in the post and now everyone thinks sharp psp screen is better. (i do have the Jap one :)
    Its amazing how roumors spread through the net.
    Until we see a direct comparison posted by someone of both Jap and US PSPs side by side with hi-quality pics and their own honest opinion, we will never know.

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The picture was two PSP's side by side, not TFT monitors.

13. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I still think this is a load of peanut juice....... to quote Craig David.

Spoony.

14. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    The picture was of two psp's but it was decided on one forum that the picture was edited or the picture put on the psp was different. IMO i would like the sharp screens to be better than samsung (because thats what ive got and i like to be better than my friends who willl have samsung screens) but in reality the quality difference is likely to be unnoticeable.

15. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both in front of me right this second.
    I would say that the Japanese one is very slightly better, alittle brighter and alittle crisper.

16. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could u post some piccies pls?

17. rp2000

rp2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to clarify. If you have a made in Japan unit. How do you tell which screen you ahve?

As I understand it 1 or 2 shipments ahd teh original Sharp screen in japan. All future shipments (Japan, USA, europe). So how do you know you have a new japanese or old one?

If you ask me this is all hype and supposition. For all you know (Jap owners) you could have eitehr screen.

Unless you can compare 2 side by side, and somehow validate they are differnt LCD panels (apart form visually) you will never know the difference.

Despite everyone claiming otehrwise I have seen no conclusive screenshots. The orioginal one on the net looked like a PSP but could easily have been a fake as many have presumed. Even to this day it has worked, prices for teh JAP units have been kept artificially high because some people have believed these rumours. Even now,. 1 week after the USA release I have not found a single image comparison. Seems strange considering teh difference is supposed to be obvious!!

rp2000

18. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
  19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is rubbish. No way would Sony open themselves up to this. Samsung are one the biggest LCD panel manufacturers in the world and their reputation in this regard is excellent.

They were turning out large LCD panels in massive volumes years ago before the Jap manufacturers even realised the demand for them.

I have a cheap AOC 19" TFT monitor on my desktop that cost £200 over 12 months ago. Its fantastic not one dead pixel. A friend spent over £1500 on a sharp sharp aquos TV, its got 5 dead pixels and they wouldnt exchange it because its "Within spec"

Until I actually see a sharp panel PSP and Samsung one together next to each other I would take this as rubbish. Also reports on the defect / dea d pixel rates comming in from the US when compared to the Jap launch show that the reliability and defect rates in both regards have fallen.

This is only to be expected as they iron out flaws and problems in the manufacture process. So you could actually say the US units are superior thus far in terms of quality and reliability.

20. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep mrtbag that was the image.
    Now someone prove me wrong but that was NOT a psp image of side by side comparison... I havent seen any other images whatsoever.

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    That was NOT the image of the PSP side by side that I am talking about.

I think Craig has made it clear that side by side the Jap (Sharp) is a slighlty better screen.

Personally I would still like to see for my own eyes in front of me but I can certainly believe it. Samsung do not make brilliant screens though for the purposes of a PSP it maybe neither here or there.

22. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,378
    I have had a JPN PSP since just after xmas and today got a US PSP and even though I have only used it to watch a few mins of Spiderman 2 I can honestly say I dont notice a difference in quality. It is still nice and crisp with great detail, will be trying out some games once its finished charging so maybe I will notice something then regarding the quality but I doubt it.

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Indiana Jones. This is what we need. Someone to honestly compare the two units side by side. I am not at all suprised you have found this. Hopefully this is another myth we can put to bed.

24. dav115

dav115

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, correct me if i'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Sony ditched Sharp because of a dispute over price - They went for the Samsung screens because they were cheaper, not because they benefited the consumer in any way.

25. dav115

dav115

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, just found another place where it says this http://forum.lik-sang.com/showthread.php?t=2450

Also,

'difference between samsung and sharp screen:
    sharp has her own patent-ASV screen, which IS amazing, it's the same technology on AQUOS (LCD TVs), and an improvement over the already amazing CG silicon, interms of color reproduction, viewing angle (160degrees),contrast (doubled) and refresh rate

samsung should be using their own TFT technology, which would be acceptable, im sure, but may be marginally inferior to sgarp's ASV for the time being.'

26. MattCupra

MattCupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A mate at work has just got a PSP from Japan and I was playing NFL Street on it at lunch time, I could see no difference between it and my US PSP. Both screens were bright with a crisp image. :smashin:

By the way, I assume Sony make all PSP's in the same factory be it one for the Japaneese , US or European market so why put different screens in them, why not use screens from the same source :lease:

27. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    There is no such thing as a samsung screen, they are all made by sharp, has anyone opened one and ever seen one?, don't think so, it's just something made up, the Japanese PSP's look better because they have an extra brightness Level that's all...why not opeen your UK PSP and check for yourself....well that's what I heard, but seriously who has proof that a samsung screen exists?...

28. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    Your absolutely right as far as I know, only the first batches had the sharp screen and it was changed for the reason of cost not long after.

I think it has been mentioned by Sony so there definately two screens used originally

I have had both and with the same games. in the same conditions can see NO difference at all. :thumbsup:

29. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    This is a myth started by re-sellers in a bid to charge more for their PSP's. The same thing happened with the GBA and that was a load of tosh too.

If its real, how come people who are pedantic about quality (all of us ;) ) havent done a REAL side-by-side comparison by now? Theres d-pad mods, homebrew scene is going crazy and downloads galore on the bittorrent scene yet no one is checking to see the best screen to view it all with? Doesnt add up, sorry!

30. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Is that true? Dont all psps have 3 brightness levels and an extra 1 when plugged into the mains? I didnt know that...

Oh, ps. I have a 1st batch jap psp and have compared with a friends uk psp and could see no difference. His did look a bit duller but i put that down to his stupid screen protector thingy..