1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JAPAN....Prepare yourself!!!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by PLASTICTAFF, Jan 28, 2005.

1. PLASTICTAFF

PLASTICTAFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I couldn't decide which section to put this in so, General Gaming chat it is!
    This post is two fold really.
    Firstly, just a plain nasty blatent gloat on my behalf and secondly i need some pearls of wisdom to set me in the right direction.
    Firstly, we'll get the batent gloat out of the way!!!!!
    MY MRS HAS GIVEN ME A PASS TO GO TO JAPAN.................WITHOUT HER AND THE KIDS WOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For all the those of you who maybe turning a slight shade of green................UNLUCKY!!!!!!!
    Mind you it did cost me a weekend in NewYork for her this coming november......shopping..I hate to think!!
    Anyway gloat over!

Part 2.
    Has anyone here been or live there or know anything about where i should go to buy all my gaming goodies.
    I'll be flying in to Osaka,no idea where i'm staying...dont care really as long as i can lock the door so no-one nicks me gear!!
    Theres an article in this months GamesTM regarding retro buying in Osaka at a place called Tiger????
    Anyhoots any advice would be much appreciated,where to shop,where to go and what to buy.
    There's a good thread starter...if you were to go to Japan what 10 things would you buy to increase your gaming collection.
    No i dont mean the stuff you'll make a killin on the Bay from(but it always helps :) ), but the stuff you'd really want in your collection.
    I've already had orders for Manga and Chase HQ for the Saturn,Star Ocean,Final Fantasy stuff,and DS/PSP the list goes on off me mates, no doubt the list will increase as my departure date gets nearer.
    I'll be checkin in on here while im out there, might give you a daily update, a digital diary if you like for those blessed souls who may one day follow in my footsteps to the land of the rising sun!
    And if im in a really good mood if i find stuff thats on peoples top 10 we might be able to come to some.....arragement for me to get it for ya.
    Thats my war and peace finished.
    Any advice/help would be mucho appreciatedo
    PT

2. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    AML lives across in Japan and if he finds your thread might offer some advice or you could PM him.
    Have a great time and don't spend too much ;)

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    HAHAH yes here I am!

If you are staying in Osaka go to a place called "Den Den Town".

Its a place where you will find all electronics shops. Big and small. They will probably have everything.

Im not too familiar with Osaka as I live in Tokyo. I know Tokyo shops quite will so if you want to know about them, just ask!

I have been to Osaka though and there are lots of sites to see there too like Osaka castle.
    Near Osaka there Kyoto, and Hiroshima.
    Worth a visit if you have time.

If you are only there for shoping then go to den den town and be prepared to spend lots of money!

4. PLASTICTAFF

PLASTICTAFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers AML,
    I'm going to cram as much into my 10 days as i can.Sights during the day and shopping at night(i assume the shops dont close at 5pm)
    My mate has just got a job in Korea teaching English, but he needs to go to Japan to get his Visa??? So when he's there im flying out to meet him as he speaks the lingo(Korean & Japanese).He's not a gamer so theres no point in me asking him anything about games/leccy shops!
    I've got me map of Japan printed up on my wall in my office so i'm gonna try and plan to see as much as i can.No doubt 10 days isn't long enough so i'll probably start planning my next trip soon as i get back. For £400 return fare i know it'll be worth every penny. Tokyo is only a way up the east coast from Osaka so i might pop in for some tea!!!!
    What i'm definitely going to do is have another tattoo while im out there!!
    Still interested in peoples top 10 purchases????

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If you go by Shinkansen (bullet train) it will take about 2 to 3 hours to Tokyo from Osaka. Akihabara is well worth the visit!
    From Tokyo Station take the Yamanote line to Akihabara station. Stay somewhere close to Akiba.

Theres really not much else to see in Tokyo as its jus a hughe metropolitan city with nothing but buildings.

If you want a nice free view of the city from altitude, go to the Tokyo Government building (tocho) and take the lift to the observation floor. Its worth the visit there as its all very modern. And free!

To get to that building go to Shnjuku station from Akihabara by either Yamanote line or Chuo line.

While your there get yourself a map of all the train lines as everyone travels by train to get to places. It confusing otherwise. :rolleyes:

Besides, every thing is centred around main stations like Tokyo Station and Shinjuku Station. Same with Akihabara. All the shops are near the station.
    Think of each station like a mini city surrounded by all the stuff you want to see.

Top 10 things to get while you are there?

I would have to say:

1:A car, if you can afford it. They are much cheaper here than in EU. As long as you want a Japanese car that is.

I recomed a Nissan Z car, Toyota Prius, Nissan Skyline,
    Mitsubushi Lancer Evo VIII. And so on.

3 million yen or so. Depending on the model. Thats about
    15 thousand quid. Not too bad compared to the same cars in the UK!

Anyway.

2: A decent DVD player. I bought my Denon 3910 here for 500 quid. Almost half price of the UK cost for the same model. Plus the Jp model comes in Gold. Something you cant get in UK.

3: A plasma or LCD TV. Again much cheaper than similar models in the UK.

4: Portable music players? Not too sure if they are much cheaper. but probably see newer models not out in UK yet.

5: Same with digital cameras. Video and still.

6: If you are a gamer then a local console like the PSP and DS not yet out in UK.

If you want you can get a cheap PS2 or Gamecube. but it means buying all japanese games.

If you want older hard to find stuff then go to some 2nd hand shops where you can still get Neo Geos and such!

Hobby/Model shops. They still have Transformers here if you are into them. 2nd hand and new. Older models we could never get in the UK like Swoop and the Constructicons.

It all depends on what you want!

Ask me if you want to know about particulars.