Jap PS3 UK - NTSC J Problems? - Not displaying correctly? HELP

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by trip, Dec 25, 2006.

1. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi there
    Ok i'm officially worried!
    I got a PS3 imported from Japan for Christmas. Only could open it on Christmas day.

I assumed (hopefully not wrongly!) that my TV or TVs would support the NTSC signal. Well they do support NTSC..it does 60hz NTSC on the likes of Pro Ev Soccer, displays NTSC correctly on DVDs etc etc. So I don't know whats going on.

Basically I'm using the SCART / AV cables (the 3 coloured plugs)..even tried the "game/dvd super scart" for PS2. The colour is like..black and white on the startup..definitely not correct. I've seen videos of this in colour. The only colour is something like the playstation store logo, the images for the display connection types and a few other things like in the web browser. So as you can see this is not how it should be.

I have two modern, not very old, but not very new widescreen TVs. One is Sony and a pretty decent TV. Was I wrong to think the scart/ av type connections won't support NTSC, only LCD TVs, HD TVs? Whats the score? Are my TVs just not up to it? They are not so old. I thought NTSC is an old mode. Would a US PS3 be the same?

I don't want what to do. *panic*

As you can probably guess I'm a worried man about this

Any help is much appreciated
    Thanks,
    Danny

2. Paddy328

Paddy328
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it black and white apart from the stoe logo and the network one?

3. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, little things like this are in colour strangely enough. :( I don't understand. I guess I can't do NTSC J. But I know my TVscan support NTSC format DVDs, 60hz NTSC on games. Maybe not just the Japanese version of NTSC? I'm too new to it all to know.

4. Paddy328

Paddy328
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is there colour when you play a game? If so, its just because of the time of day. It starts off in colour and then turns to black n white as the day goes on.

5. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It was black and white this morning. It's black and white this evening. Theres no nice blue background like I've seen on videos. I haven't even got on to a game

6. Paddy328

Paddy328
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    put a game in and you will find out if anything is wrong or not

7. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The thing is - I also have that dreaded problem where it does not accept any CDs!! Just throws them back out.

So i'm in the process of getting a replacement. But, perhaps more worrying, is that it seemingly isn't displaying properly. I can't put in a game to try it. It's embarassing I left it to open and try until today and I got that problem. It's also embarassing to say I have all these problems with a console that cost about £400 !

Anyway, the majority is black and white and I don't have a HD TV for use of the other cables. Is NTSC J not widely supported here?

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Japanese NTSC is no different then US NTSC. It's got nothing to do with the fact itt's a Japanese console rather then a US one. NTSC is NTSC no matter where.

9. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK right.
    So any ideas why its not functioning? Could it be yet another defect in this particular PS3 console?

I know these TVs support NTSC. Is it affected by what cable you use, scart, av. :suicide:

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,730
    Sounds to me like your TV cant handle NTSC through composite.

I had the exact same problem with my old 4:3 TV whenever I tried to play PS2 games in 60hz but I fixed the problem by switching to a proper RGB Scart Cable so I suggest you get one asap, it should fix the colour problem plus it will improve the picture quality.

11. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What do you mean by Proper RGB scart cable?
    I have these cables:
    http://www.game.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=10314&mid=321914

(displays a sharp image on PS2 when on the "GAME" setting. But, on my PS3 it just displays a green colour image which was strange)

Bear in mind I don't know the cable names but additionally...

- I have a cable which is from PS3 to side of TV in the 3 colour sockets. That you get with the PS3. This displayed it in mostly black and white.
    - I have a cable of 3 colour going into a scart. like an adaptor? This displayed it in mostly black and white.

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,730
    When I first connected my PS3 using RGB Scart it came up in green, you just need to go to the display settings and change it to Scart, this will get rid of the problem and give you a colour picture.

13. quarryfied

quarryfied
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sounds like a cable/cable adaptor problem or even your tv settings for that particular input. I think you should invest in a HD TV with hdmi input, the sales are coming up!! It's a HD console after all, blu-ray and all that.

But seeing as (from what you mentioned) your PS3 won't even accept cd's i think you've got a duffer. Send it back and stop panicking/being embarrassed, it's not the end of the milky way.

14. fishfash

fishfash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It's just the display set up as mentioned above. The biggest concern is where it is not accepting the Discs. if you can send it back and get a replacement do it now. Don't wait around.

15. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Right, I'm receiving a replacement shortly (I hope). The seller in Japan even rang me so it's looking OK. I'll keep on him. Says he sold 7 Japanese PS3 consoles without problems, only mine with. I'm never lucky. He said he could probably replace it with a new US PS3 instead. Heres hoping to this one accepts CDs.

About the display setup - No worries now. I changed the settings with the PS3 when it displayed as green, its now functioning. Yeah, a HD TV investment is next on the cards.

16. fishfash

fishfash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Do you not have to send your one back first ?

17. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Might demand he sends a replacment first. Was already delayed, nearly didn't make it for Christmas when I bought it long ago, now this major fault. He's pretty understanding so he might just accept.

18. fishfash

fishfash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Nice one, a very understanding seller.

19. ince

ince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the colour problem is nothing. the ps3 background changes from black and white at night to various colours over the day.

if some of the icons are in colour it is working fine. i thought i had this issue when i tried the console first but it was working fine just that teh tv i was using wasnt great/small.

20. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Turns out I might have an even greater problem..

If you've read this thread then you know the disk drive on my PS3 isn't functioning at all, and hasn't since opened as new. So i'm in the process of getting a replacement. So I thought I should try downloading the demos from the PS Store, which I did just fine. Choosing play on even MotoStorm or Lemmings, it goes to the Playstation 3 little cut screen thing (that must appear before all PS3 games I suppose) and nothing happens from there! I think the TV switches signal maybe, it tried. Then its just a black screen. No sound of the game or anything. I've waited and waited on this screen so theres a problem.

Whilst on the black screen holding down the PS button I hear some sounds, and moving the D Pad I hear the sounds of moving the menu buttons I guess. Like on the PS3 before you start it. I've a standard widescreen TV. I use SCART/ AV Multi thing. It displays in colour. On the PS3 start up menus, browser, store etc I see it fine, but i'm not seeing the games? but more strange I can't even hear the game menus for instance nor see them, so it's not getting on to the demos.

Scart / AV Multi - RGB (the other is in green) - NTSC

Is this another major problem, or common again? I'm really not having a good first experience wit hthe machine. I see how good it can be, but then these problems keep happening. Now if I get a replacment PS3 I've no idea if the screen will just stay black on games! This problem has happened on 2/3 PS3 Demos I downloaded

Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated
    Thanks

21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,730
    To be honest it sounds like your PS3 is totally knacked, never had a single problem with mine apart from the green screen when I first powered it up but that was fixed within a minute.