Jap PS3 in UK - Another display issue ? Please help :(

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by trip, Dec 27, 2006.

1. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hello
    For those of you who read my other post I had the dreaded issue of the the disk drive just not functioning from new. I'm in the process of getting a replacment, but can try it all out (that which doesnt include CDs!) whilst that arrives.

Turns out I might have an even greater problem..

So..no CDs working at all, I thought I should try downloading the demos from the PS Store, which I did just fine. Choosing play on even MotoStorm or Lemmings, it goes to the Playstation 3 little cut screen thing (that must appear before all PS3 games I suppose) and nothing happens from there! I think the TV switches signal maybe, it tried. Then its just a black screen. No sound of the game or anything. I've waited and waited on this screen so theres a problem. Before attempting to play the game, I do get the wallpaper/background for the demo.

Whilst on the black screen holding down the PS button I hear some sounds, and moving the D Pad I hear the sounds of moving the menu buttons I guess. Like on the PS3 before you start it. I've a standard widescreen TV. I use SCART/ AV Multi thing. It displays in colour. On the PS3 start up menus, browser, store etc I see it fine, but i'm not seeing the games? but more strange I can't even hear the game menus for instance nor see them, so it's not getting on to the demos.

Scart / AV Multi - RGB (the other is in green) - NTSC

Is this another major problem, or common again? I'm really not having a good first experience wit hthe machine. I see how good it can be, but then these problems keep happening. Now if I get a replacment PS3 I've no idea if the screen will just stay black on games! This problem has happened on 2/2 PS3 Demos I downloaded

When this happens, and I'm at a black screen, I've no way of getting back from it. I need to turn off the console.

Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated
    Thanks

2. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    You see when using SD (non HD signals) the unit will output NTSC, but if you use Hd signals 720p. 1080i/p etc these are neither NTSC or PAL so most wil not have these issues

Im wondering if NTSC have a 50hz and 60hz picture and your tv support one of them, not sure though..

If problems persist i would try pluging the thing into an HDTV (if possible) and see if the issues go away..

3. fishfash

fishfash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    OK I think what is happening when you play the demo and you get a black screen, there is some software or hardware corruption. Try a format and restore OS.

When you press the PS button and you press the d pad up and down, you are in the menu which gives you the option to turn the PS3 off and disconnect the controller. It's probably you can't see that at the time because the demo has crashed.

What you need to try is play an mp3 or mp4 file from the hdd and see what happens.

4. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi
    Thanks for the help. I actually put 2 MP3s on a USB Pen/Stick - went to the Music section - and it says No tracks. Maybe it doesn't support the USB pen properly, it actually comes up as two USB devices for some reason, but still I know there was MP3 on there, but it says no tracks. Problem after problem , or i'm doing something wrong.

Regarding the demos I don't get any sort of error message. Just the black screen after the Playstation 3 screen. As for the drive, its buggered, completely.

5. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    put your cursor over the usb device and press triangle you can then select display all, press triangle over say a music file or folder to copy its contents to the ps3 HDD:)