1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jap animation (manga) ect

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by steve tyler, Jan 16, 2001.

1. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    does anyone out there know where i could get hold of any manga films or the like on dvd.
    thanks in advance steve.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Steve,

The following titles are out on Region 2:

Perfect Blue
    Starblazers: Volume 1
    Rei-Rei / The Gigolo (2 on 1 DVD)
    Black Magic M-66 / Appleseed (2 on 1 DVD)
    Urotsukidoji 3 (Complete story, all 4 parts, but is a heavily censored version!)
    Sol Bianca 1+2
    Ninja Scroll

On Region 1, however, you can pretty much get any title you want! Go to the following website, and you will be overwhelmed!
    www.animeondvd.com/

or
    www.dc-dvd.co.uk/ and then select "Anime" on the "Select Genre" tab on their home page!

Hope this is of help!

Pooch

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Princess Monokoke is absolutely fabulous.

I have never seen a better Jap Cartoon in my life. I rate it higher than Akira and Fist of the North Star.

I dunno how well it's been publicised in the UK, but you really are missing out if you ain't seen it.

[This message has been edited by Ono (edited 18-01-2001).]

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Please, I know I'm being very trainspotter-like when I ask this, but please don't call Anime "cartoons". That's an insult to these wonderful pieces of art!

As for Princess Mononoke, it had loads of publicity in film and animation magazines, as well as the more popular Japanese anime and manga titles, but because Disney being idiots, they were only interested in getting the movie, hacking the violence and gore out, and then dubbing it, to make it into a Japanese "Disney" movie. I don't think they realised that whilst Miyazaki makes kids movies that have no violence, sex or gore in them, this movie wasn't deliberately aimed at children. It was only after constant pressure from anime fans in the US and UK, that we got a subtitled widescreen version on the Region 1 DVD. Originally, it was to be a fullscreen, dubbed version only!

Disney and Buena Vista just simply didn't do the proper research, and nearly screwed us all out of one of the most popular animated movies ever made!

I would love to see more of Miyazaki's works on Region 1 or 2 DVD, especially "My Neighbour Tototro", "Kiki's Delivery Service", "Nausicaa: Valley Of The Winds" and "Laputa: Castle In The Sky". His works are barely seen in the US and UK, except at festivals or via fan-copied pirate tapes, which is such a shame.

The problem is that Disney/Buena Vista now own the english-language rights to most of his works. Thus, the House Of Mouse, will monopolise his works, and only put out DVD's of the films once in a blue-moon, on extras-free discs, and probably without subtitles as well. A real dissappointment to anime fans everywhere!

Pooch