January 2018 Winner - Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC)

snerkler

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
OK, so the weather has let me down so I'll just go with this one. In ideal world I'd add a vignette to give more drama (see INV thread) but here's the SOOC version. I'll add my other shots I took in the INV thread, as you'll see light/weather wasn't my friend ;)

Anyway, image in next post.

Last edited:
Shot with the Olympus EM1 and 12-40mm. 640 ISO, f2.8 0.4s handheld (gotta love Olympus IBIS).

P1254899
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice, only looking on my phone but why 2.8? Would like to of seen more depth and with f16 say, you could of got some starburst effect from the lights. Just an opinion, like I say nice shot though.

Lovely use of monochrome and contrast selection.

Nice, only looking on my phone but why 2.8? Would like to of seen more depth and with f16 say, you could of got some starburst effect from the lights. Just an opinion, like I say nice shot though.
Thanks. F2.8 because it was hand held and dark, even at f2.8 it was 0.4s. Tbh imo it has full DOF, one of the benefits of using m4/3 as you can get away with a wide aperture and still get good DOF with wide lenses.

The lights are long strip lights and I don’t think would lend themselves to starburst but I might go up with a tripod one day and try. Thanks for the suggestion :smashin:

Thanks. F2.8 because it was hand held and dark, even at f2.8 it was 0.4s. Tbh imo it has full DOF, one of the benefits of using m4/3 as you can get away with a wide aperture and still get good DOF with wide lenses.

The lights are long strip lights and I don’t think would lend themselves to starburst but I might go up with a tripod one day and try. Thanks for the suggestion :smashin:
very good for handheld, I couldn't of done it without a tripod!

very good for handheld, I couldn't of done it without a tripod!
Thanks. Looking at it on here, it does appear that that distant part of the tunnel looks a bit soft as though there's not enough DOF, but on the original and the edit on Flickr it's fine. Not sure why it appears like that on here :rolleyes: TBH the whole thing looks softer on here, maybe it's because it's a direct upload rather than linked from Flickr?

@Zone can I try linking my image from Flickr rather than the direct upload to see if it that that's causing the image to appear soft or is that not allowed? I know you can't post more than one image but it would be the same one to replace that one above but just linked differently? The version on the INV thread with the added vignette appears much sharper to me and that's linked from Flickr,

Try in the INV thread and then replace in post here if it is better - shouldn't be a problem IMO...

Nice shot - works well without the vignette IMO

Last edited:
Try in the INV thread and then replace in post here if it is better - shouldn't be a problem IMO...

Nice shot - works well without the vignette IMO
Thanks, reposted it from Flickr rather than direct upload, looks better/sharper to me now.

Still looks "slightly" soft to me on AVF but can't click through to compare as it's marked as Private...

Still looks "slightly" soft to me on AVF but can't click through to compare as it's marked as Private...
Thanks, it's private as it's not on my photo stream. What does the edited one look like in the INV thread, same shot just with a vignette?

Thanks, it's private as it's not on my photo stream. What does the edited one look like in the INV thread, same shot just with a vignette?

very similar - hard to compare due to the processing differences in contrast TBH

very similar - hard to compare due to the processing differences in contrast TBH
Oh well, it is what it is, maybe I need to add more sharpening to my jpeg settings. Anyway, linked from Flickr it certainly looks better even if you think it's still a bit soft ;) Weird thing is it doesn't look noticeably soft on my Mac :confused:

Last edited:
Another one to make this month a tough one to decide.

@Zone can I try linking my image from Flickr rather than the direct upload to see if it that that's causing the image to appear soft or is that not allowed?

yup but it's coming up as private so needs to be public so we can see the exif

Ta muchly Toby :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom