January 2008 MacBook Pros with Penryn Processors?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by starman0147, Sep 20, 2007.

1. starman0147

starman0147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just saw this at Macrumours, not really what I wanted to see, seems not only will the MBP get a new processor but it could be getting a new design.

I decided to wait for Leopard to get my MBP which has been a long wait so there is no way I am going to wait till January! :suicide:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/19/next_gen_macbook_pro_penryn_chips_revealed.html

2. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Unless you have lots of money, it just seems impossible to me to keep up with all the updates. I bought my MacBook Pro earlier this year about 2-3 weeks before they were refreshed - luckily Apple swapped it for me for a newer model one. There's clearly no way that I can see myself chopping it in again for another new one in January!

If I were you, I'd simply wait until next month when Leopard comes out, and get one then as you have been planning. If you can hold out, and if the rumours are true, then you could save yourself some upgradeitis in the New Year if you wait even longer I suppose. It depends on how big a redesign it's likely to be. I've gradullay begun to have more faith in the rumour sites, and it is due for redesigned body.....however, the redesign of the iMac was not radical; I can't see that the form of the MBP is likely to change that much.

Tricky

3. starman0147

starman0147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wish! I will be getting it through my student discount, though it's still going to be a large chuck of my bank account.
    I still plan to get the MBP when Leopard comes out as I read somewhere which made a lot of sense that even though there might be a update in January it could mean late January earlier February, plus the fact that shipping times with apple is pretty bad when new products are introduced could mean waiting till March or even longer so that's around a 5 months wait which I could not stomach and even by then another announcement for the next best thing would only be round the corner which would make me go insane! :suicide:
    So I will defiantly be sticking to my original plan, plus getting it before 30th October entitles me to a free ipod nano.

Interestingly enough a new Macbook is also rumoured, if this comes out around Leopard it would be great, a dedicated graphic card, SD slot would be perfect.
    However I have more doubt then belief, but 100% hope!:)

4. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    If you can stretch to a MBP rather than MacBook I would, it's a great piece of kit - I find myself using my MBP more and more; in fact I hardly ever use my iMac anymore simply becuase it's upstairs, and everything I do on it I can do just as quickly and efficiently on my MBP.

My only gripe is the battery. It sometimes seems to randomly think that it's empty and the machine goes to sleep, even though just before it goes off the gauge was showing a good hours worth of juice. I've tried calibrating it again (full charge, then full discharge etc), but still the same. Not sure if this is a widespread problem, or just mine.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
  6. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Interesting; does look good, and also very much like a MBP.

Damn them - it's so difficult to resist these new offerings when they appear !

7. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Just saw the same storey on 9to5mac, the guy's who posted the first REAL pics of the new Nanos and subsequently ordered to remove them:

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543

I think their new Macbook's, look damn nice but not for me as mine is a desktop replacement so need 15.4" screen and decent graphics card. But perhaps they'll refresh both laptop's next week? Although I think they'll wait until next Feb or March to update the Macbook Pro's with them new Intel chips.

If anything need's updating it's the MacPro, it could be such a killer system if it had better and newer graphics offeringslet alone the new quad core chips.

In fact after just checking this news is all over the web about new Macbook's, the rumours range from 10" to 13" screens, most confirm flash ram drives and a fair few say no optical drives either, so definetly not for me, shame. Still I plan on getting my mum a Apple laptop for Chritsmas so if they DO have optical drives and are the same price as Macbooks it may do for her.