Janglish - great examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was reading the spec for the Denon PMA-50 amp and found this on their UK website.

Advanced AL32 Processing

Advanced AL32 Processing, the new generation of the Alpha processor. It is capable of digital signals to expand not only in the resolution to 32 bits, but also leads an upsampling of the digital signals by up to 192 kHz.

The Alpha processor suppresses quantization and disturbing are the finest musical nuances, even in extremely quiet passages of music, again, of course. Thus, for example as well as conventional 16-bit CDs in 32-bit quality of service and with an extended frequency range kHz up to 80. The downstream high-quality 32-bit, 192 kHz-D/A-Wandler the latest generation ensure the faithful conversion of the signals in the analog world.

Advanced AL32 Processing The variation in multi-channel multi-channel devices to work simultaneously for all channels and smoother in operation for multi-fidelity sound reproduction.

Well that makes perfect sense, I've always thought I needed a Wandler somewhere in my system so I wasn't disturbed.

There are plenty of DACs out there that Up-Sample I think I've seen some that up-sample to 32b/348k. But, they are guessing at what came between the bits and between the samples, or interpolating.

In fact, you can take a basic MP3 file load it into a file converter, and save it as a 24b/192k FLAC file. But that doesn't mean it will sound better than the original.

So, in the simplest terms, they are taking 16b/44.1k music and up-sampling it to 32b/192k, but the processor is guessing at what comes between the lower bit samples. Some people think that sounds good, others ... not so much.

As an example, let's say I'm taking samples at 2 per second, the first sample has a value of 2 and the second sample is 5. If we want to expand that to 4 samples per second, we can make the reasonable assumption that between, 2 and 5 are 3 and 4. So, what started out as a low sample 2 and 5, that now becomes a higher sample of 2, 3, 4, 5. They are filling in the unknown gaps with a best guess.

For the most part, while at its core it is true, it is just marketing spin.

Steve/bluewizard

I think you have missed the point Steve.

He certainly appears to have understood the lingo.

May be Steve's just got used to Google translations of tech Japanese or may be even actually fluent so can think the same way.

We may smirk, but let's face it, their grasp of English is probably way ahead of our grasp of Japanese!

Many years ago (when I was a student) I bought a Dual turntable, and the instruction manual was written in similar pidgin English. I wrote to them suggesting I re-write it, for a fee of course. I now realise I should have written to them in German. Ho hum!

Sayonara!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom