1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo vs Pioneer NS-DV99

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kiwidave73, Nov 5, 2003.

1. kiwidave73

kiwidave73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've been reading What Home Cinema mag and have decided that i like the look of the Jamo and Pioneer NS-DV99 all-in-one systems.
    Have read heaps of comments about the Jamo (very favourable)but nothing on the forum about the Pioneer.
    Does anyone have any views on the Pioneer and which would be the better buy?
    Cheers
    Kiwidave

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,452
    I'm getting the Jamo purely because it has progressive scan over the Pioneer. You can work around it's other limitations, and i dont intend to do serious music listening, but you cant work around a fundamental feature if it isnt there to start with.

I ordered from Unbeatable.co.uk (£430) but since it's been 3 days and my order still says "awaiting stock from supplier" i'm starting to wonder if i shouldnt have paid more and gotten it quicker...?

Anway, being an opinionated sort ;) i'll post up my findings once its setup and working.

Oh, and nice to see another NZer on the forums! :hiya:

3. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not to start making judgement but our's are £430 when we are out of stock as well, but seeing as we have stock ours are £495

4. kiwidave73

kiwidave73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that.

I'm after a system that i can use as a hi-fi as well. I haven't heard the jamo in action but from what i have read it seems to be able to the job pretty well.

My only reservation (though small) about the pioneer is the speakers and that they aren't too sturdy.

Go the All Blacks.

5. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Regarding Unbeatable, the DVR50 is a special order, it says so on the page. I emailed them and you're looking at 10-14 working days for delivery.

That's possibly part of the reason that they're so cheap, as they don't hold them in stock, just ordering when necessary. Not a great situation but I'm preprared to wait for that price !

Hope you enjoy them when you get them ! Looking forward to mine !

6. filfil

filfil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are the two systems I am looking at, does anyone have any technical thoughts?

For me the lack of picture conttrol with the Jamo is a let down, ie no slow motion or frame advance. But it sounds very good. I haven't heard much about the Pioneer.

What Home Cinema awarded 97 to 95 in the Jamo's favour?

Anyone know more about the Pioneer?

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well I'm not a retailer and will never sell Jamo systems obviously so my price is a very reasonable £9.99 :D

8. filfil

filfil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried 'em both side by side. The Pioneer had the better features but on sound quality the Jamo won hands down. I had earlier tried the Pioneer DV990 (big flat floor speakers) and found it better than the dv99 by a significant margin.

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    What Hifi if anything seem to prefer the Pioneer DV99 but then that might be because of DVD Audio and SACD which they probably rate very highly being a hifi mag. Personally I tend to think of the Jamo as more feature packed as I believe it has more aux inputs, more video output options including progressive scan and of course supports a lot more video formats including divx and xvid. Mind you I'm not interested in DVD Audio or SACD so that puts a different bias on it.

10. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I listened to both ayt John Lewis, using the samd DVD - some Sony Wega demo disc !

The environment was not the best but the Jamo definitely sounded clearer and more detailed.

11. mobione

mobione

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want hifi I'd go with the DV 99. It has been recommended by What Hifi and lets face it, its hifi where the clarity and quality are most important. I'm sure SACD or DVDa will take over from standard CD in the next few years so you want something that is future proof.
    Also Richer Sounds are selling it for £369 I think. whic is a major bargin. I am going to buy one as soon as I have the dosh to hand.

12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,452
    Jamo up and running, and it's all good!

I havent listened to an entire music CD on it, but tested audio CDs, MP3's and MPEGs, and while "ok/good", seemed nothing special. The sound for ones movie experience is however quite awesome, It's better than the Ritzy in Brixton, or cinemas in Cambridge (the last few places i've seen "proper" cinema movies). The speakers have only been stressed twice, once while playing a console game (really loud explosions, of a certain pitch, other explosions fine) and during LoTR: The Two Towers EE, i think when Gandlaf confronts the Balrog, and does his staff thing the centre speaker crakled a bit there too. All other movie sounds played way above expectations, from the quiet to the raucous.

Havent heard the DV99, so cant offer much else sorry...

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The latest Kiss firmware 2.8.0.0 I think it is has a slight but noticable improvement in picture quality. When this firmware is modified for the Jamo I think Jamo owners will be pleased with the sudden increase in picture quality.

The way I see it the Pioneer is the choice for those who want a system for both hifi and home cinema use but for pure home cinema the Jamo is the better choice. Lets face it DVD Audio and SACD are great audio formats and if your into music in a big way and want to play these then the Jamo would be the wrong choice. The Jamo isn't great as an audio cd playback system either and mp3s aren't really hifi. Pioneer have a great track record in having good quality audio cd playback on their dvd players and home cinema systems.