1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo THX or Celestion C package?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Messiah, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I am in the market for a cracking set of speakers to go in my new HC room (with new CRT pj). In looking around at second hand I have come across a Jamo THX package (version One) and also a Celestion C package. Both are available at the same asking price £1000.

Anyone any views on these? Which are better soundwise and value?

Many thanks.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Messiah

I've not heard the Jamos but I love my Celestions'. I bought 4 C3's (the big ones) and a C4C centre just before Christmas, but after the 1st price drop, new from a local dealer for £1350. Down frrom an original Pric of nearlt £2.5K. It had taken me nearly 2 years to upgrade from previous mismatched but reasonably "big black boxes". I am very pleased I did, (and pleased I waited for the price drop).

Do you know that hyperhifi have them on offer at the moment. very cheap, 1/3ish original price. Might have to add another Pair of C3's for the surround back:cool:

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks John. I really like the look of the Celestion C's so am hopping over to Hyperfi.co.uk right away.

Thanks again. Looks like they may be the bargain of the month at the moment. And are they made by the same company as Kef's?

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I also have the Celestion C's, the C2's the C4 and the C5 bipoles in my case. You will want to match them with a fairly meaty amp. A £500 receiver isn't going to cut it I think.

Jeff

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I've just remembered I have a pair of Jamo Silhouette floorstanders in the spare room (under the bed of all places). Anyone know if these are any good and if so what would be good to match with them as centre, rears and sub.

Thanks.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well currently I am driving them with a Sony 940 which copes okay up to med to high levels but that said I know that the speakers have potential to do so much more. A power amp is certainly on my list of upcoming purchases.

Yeah, sort of, Kef and Celestion are from the same factory in Maidstone.

I have to agree, they are certainly a nice looking set in sleek silver alluminium, almost a "lifestyle" set for the people that want larger speakers, (me included) and at the current (I beleive end of line pricing) a bargain.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yeah, but where can I get them at this eol bargain pricing. Looking at the Hyperfi ad not sure if prices are per speaker or per pair.

C3 (Black or Silver ) £299.99
    C4C (Black or Silver) £99.99

Does this mean 4 x C3s and a C4C will cost me £700 or £1300?

Thanks.

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I beleive £700 as it said on the add in WHF that it was a 1/3 original price. I think the RRP was £1000 for the C3's and £350 for the C4c. This has got to be a massive bargain. :D