1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo SW 505e Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by EDAT, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDAT

EDAT
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was wondering what you guys think of the Jamo SW 505e Subwoofer, and what is a reasonable price for one?

I've just got one from eBay for £60 (not £51 like it says!)

Jamo SW 505e Subwoofer

Do you think I got a good deal?

Thanks for any help :D

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you were to buy a REL subwoofer it would cost you £100 extra for the wooden finish so to buy a complete sub in a cherry veneer for £60 makes financial sense.

I have never come across this model before but from reading the specs it seems to have been a good £60 investment

3. EDAT

EDAT
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got the sub, and it sounds fantastic, loads of bass. BUT this thing is absolutely massive, and it produces so much low frequency sound even when it is turned down. The sub is upstairs and so when you are in the room below and you touch the ceiling it feels like it is going to cave in.

So I don't know weather I should trade it in for something smaller and less loud, or keep it. What do you think I should do?

:confused:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Putting it onto a heavy granite slab will cut down some of the noise being transmitted through the floor.

The production of loads of good low frequency bass adds to the enjoyment of action films so think very carefully before selling it and buying a weedywoofer as it won't be the same.

5. EDAT

EDAT
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are house is quite old, and the sub is upstairs, so I am worried about structural damage. When I was downstairs and touched the furthest away door you could feel it vibrating quite strongly. And I don't want cracks appearing everywhere! And that is when the sound level is balanced with the fronts, but the volume is not as loud as I would like for a movie. I do like the 'feel it in you chest' type bass which this gives you, but I don't want to damage my house!

If I get a smaller one instead it will look discrete as there is limited space, and still produce some lower frequency sounds but not as loud and forceful as the Jamo.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a sub that is small and doesn't produce thumping bass!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.