• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Jamo S606 HCS3 5.0 or Wharfedale Crystal 5.1 set?

ToTTenTranz

Standard Member
Greetings,

Me and my girlfriend are setting up a new Home Cinema + Music Listening + Gaming set in a mid-small sized room.

First and foremost, we've pretty much decided on the Pioneer VSX-921 (the one with the EISA award) because of the price/performance and features/performance ratio (both of us have Android smartphones to control the receiver, for example).

While looking at our locally available options and our budget, we've come down to two choices:

- The Jamo S606 HCS3 5.0 set (two full-range towers but no active subwoofer)

- A Wharfedale Crystal CR30 setup (CR30 Centre + 2*CR30.2 + 2*CR30.4) + a System Fidelity SW250 active subwoofer.

We both prefer the Jamo's looks, so we're more inclined to the Jamo set, but I'd like to know if the lack of an active, dedicated subwoofer will make a large difference. We're not going to set the sound levels very high, as we probably won't ever pass ~50% of the output from the receiver.

If we get the Jamo set, we also don't put away the idea of getting a dedicated sub later (in half a year or so), but our current budget doesn't take more than this.

Also, in both cases the bookshelf speakers will be in the front, next to the TV (where we have a bookshelf..) and the tower speakers will stay in the rear, behind the couch. Is this "horribly bad" by any way?

I'd also like to know if the MCACC will automatically set the low frequencies to come out from the Jamo's tower speakers when a 5.1 source is applied through the HDMI/Optical (for example, a set-top box), or if I'll have to somehow set it manually.

Thanks for the advices.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
I'm not too up on the Jamo speakers but looking at the Floor Standers it looks like they include an 8" side firing Woofer on them so I wouldn't say you'd really need a sub straight away with them.

The 2 8" drivers would be more than upto the job for the low end providing Jamo have been kind enough to use a good quality crossover for them.

If it was my money I'd definitely have a listen to the Jamo's & see how you feel but I think they'd be perfect for the interim & then if you feel the need for a sub add one later.

Neil

DD3134

Standard Member
Ok, thanks to your post, I'm also interested in the Jamo S 606 HCS3 set now... Have you already listened to it in a demo? I want to use it for games, movies and music too. Planning on getting a sub afterwards.. Found this speakerset for around 400 euros.. If I do my best, that would just fit my budget!

If anyone has heard these speakers, feel free to share your thoughts!

JonathanAV

Established Member
These speakers are great all-round value for money & performance. The Gloss white edition speakers are lovely

If any of use live in Ireland I could demo them :D

Jonathan

DD3134

Standard Member
These speakers are great all-round value for money & performance. The Gloss white edition speakers are lovely

If any of use live in Ireland I could demo them :D

Jonathan

Hmm, Belgium is a bit too fat from Ireland :p

But about the speakers: how would you describe the sound? Is it a "warm" sound? Or a cool, accurate sound?

And about the black edition: are these glossy too? (on pictures, the front of the speakers looks glossy, but I prefer matte black)

JonathanAV

Established Member
More of an Accurate sound but it would also depend on what Amp you had partnered with them. They are good sounding for the price range.

I think Black is the only colour I havnt seen yet! (Seen the high gloss white & Dark apple) you could be right, a high gloss front & then sides/back black Ash, will have to double check

DD3134

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply!

More of an Accurate sound but it would also depend on what Amp you had partnered with them. They are good sounding for the price range.
I've got an Onkyo TX-NR609. Would that match with the Jamo set?

I think Black is the only colour I havnt seen yet! (Seen the high gloss white & Dark apple) you could be right, a high gloss front & then sides/back black Ash, will have to double check
Hehe, don't mind! I'll have to demo them before I buy, so maybe those will be black, then I'll know!

Now I did some research on other Jamo systems.. I like the specs and looks of the S506 HCS3 and the S426 HCS3 too... Have you heard those systems? How would you describe the differences in sound and sound quality between those three? And which one do you prefer and why?

I'm sorry for the many questions, but I'm seriously thinking of buying a Jamo set after reading some good reviews and knowing the prices.

@ThreadStarter: I'm sorry if I'm 'steeling' your thread, but I hope you can use the information I get as an answer on my questions too...

JonathanAV

Established Member
Hi,
I use my 609 with Jamo D500 THX speakers but the 609 sounds good with the Jamo speakers you have mentioned.

The S506 HCS3 have won many awards & would probably sound the best but you cant go wrong with the other Studio range ("S" range)
The difference would be more power handling & better detail in the more exspensive speakers :smashin:

DD3134

Standard Member
Hi,
I use my 609 with Jamo D500 THX speakers but the 609 sounds good with the Jamo speakers you have mentioned.

The S506 HCS3 have won many awards & would probably sound the best but you cant go wrong with the other Studio range ("S" range)
The difference would be more power handling & better detail in the more exspensive speakers :smashin:

Oh ok, thanks! So my receiver would be powerful enough for those 3 sets and my speakers and/or receiver wouldn't get damaged? (I don't understand all of the specs of my receiver such as the power at specific ohms with a specific number of channels driven...)

Many thanks!

JonathanAV

Established Member
Hi,
The Amp outputs 160Watts per channel (speaker) enough for the Jamo speakers.

Another person asked a similar question about specific ohms for speakers on this thread
My speakers are both 4 & 8 ohms so I set my 609 at 4 ohms & above
If you get stuck on this when you purchase speakers drop me a PM & I will happily explain in more detail :lesson:

Regards, Jonathan:smashin:

DD3134

Standard Member
I've bought the Jamo S606 HCS3 speakerset... I'm using it with my Onkyo TX-NR609 and I'm loving it! The sound is great, a subwoofer is not necessary right now, maybe later... Clear high frequencies, deep bass and great mid!

Surround effect works great with my blu-ray movies, but I still have to test some games! Music sounds great too, it sounds the best in Stereo with the two S606 speakers.

When I just got the speakers they sounded "cool" and not that great, but after some hours playing, they started to sound really great! (but that's normal with new speakers :p)

I'm really happy with this combo of Receiver + Speakers ^^ Especially because I upgraded from a HTIB set of 60 euros... xD This combo costed me 895 euros :p

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom