Jamo S260 Sub-Boomy Bass :(

Billykhan

Hello AVF'ers. Newbie here who for some reason never had to post on here for the last 20 years of owning Home Cinema equipment but now find myself in a quandry.

So basically my 5.1.2 setup is Onkyo TX-SR444 7.2 receiver with Jamo S426 Floorstanders, center and rears, S260 Powered Sub and Onkyo Dolby Atmos Toppers. Setup is in the living room (not ideal, but it is what it is-as per the attached photos). Sub is placed 15 inches away from the wall next to the Front right.

IMG_8483.jpg

Since the day I got the system, Ive never been happy with the Bass which is always just too boomy and makes any soundtrack, be it Dolby Digital, DTS, Tru-HD or Atmos almost unbearable. No amount of tweaking the settings seems to work (maybe other than phase which I really dont get). Setting the Sub to off on the Receiver cures the problem to a certain extent, and the Fronts certainly have a little punch but it just seems to defeat the objective of having a full multichannel setup.

Have lived in the same place for the last 11 years, and my previous setup was a Marantz and then Harman Kardon (both 5.1 from 2000 & 2007) with Mission MX1 series speakers and JBL powered sub and the Bass was fantastically punchy in the same room setup.

In the pre-pandemic world it didn't seem to make much difference as I'm an avid cinema goer, and the Home Cinema was only for repeat viewings. Now its a different world, so I'm getting a bit more fussy. Any ideas to get this right? Would a change of Receiver make any difference? Have been looking at a discontinued Yamaha and Pioneer, both 7.2 with very similar specs and within my price point. Or would a change of Sub be a more prudent decision? The latter would once again lead to potentially mixing and matching speaker brands, which in itself may create even worse problems....Help, Im at wits end : lease:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi there! Sorry but i got to touch other issue first, that center channel is positioned terribly. That tv feet is the issue clearly, wish you could wall mount it or buy floor tv stand (goes behind and under your av-unit). I think most people would just ditch the speaker if you can`t figure out a way to get it at the middle. You can turn it off from Onkyo menu, the information will be directed to your main speakers then. If you sit at middle then it could work fine. Try it!

Was the JBL sub in same spot as the Jamo now? Cause placement of the woofer alone can make big difference. It`s a rear ported sub and you seem to have some clearance behind. It isn´t placed in corner either where the bass would be even stronger and possibly boomy without eq.

I couldn´t find anything bad about the sub. Most reviews said it sounds clean, controlled and tight when setup correct. Use google translate for this one:

The issue could be related to settings still, it can be combination of few things though. From behind the sub:

- Level knob - 9-12 clock (25-50%), you don´t want the subwoofer to overpower the rest of system. Best way to get the levels correct with speakers would be buying SPL meter (c-weighted and slow setting is needed, so check that). Probably costs 20-30$ if you can order through some Amazon.

- Cut Off knob - turn this to 200hz max!

- Phase knob - turn this to 0

- Sub cable connected to Left/LFE white

After you have run automatic speaker setup with Onkyo make sure you change speaker size to Small for all speakers and check crossover settings for speakers. If they are set below 80hz you need to manually change them. Assuming it can be done individually for each speakers, set fronts to 80hz, center channel looks small so 80-100hz depending what you have now, same for surround "rears", for atmos upfiring speakers 150hz is often recommended. This is assuming these aren´t set higher.

Check that you have subwoofer set to LFE mode in the Onkyo, not LFE+Main (Double Bass) if there is such option. Turn off any extra bass features also. If the Onkyo setting has Subwoofer phase, set it to Normal not reverse.

Another thing comes to mind if the sub is set too loud and you sit against rear wall where the bass builds up, it sounds just too bassy. It´s quite easy to test though, take a chair and go sit bit more forward from the rear wall (0,5meter). It can easily sound lot better.

Report back if there is something you could try from those mentioned and also answer few of those questions.

Billykhan

Hi there! Sorry but i got to touch other issue first, that center channel is positioned terribly. That tv feet is the issue clearly, wish you could wall mount it or buy floor tv stand (goes behind and under your av-unit). I think most people would just ditch the speaker if you can`t figure out a way to get it at the middle. You can turn it off from Onkyo menu, the information will be directed to your main speakers then. If you sit at middle then it could work fine. Try it!

Was the JBL sub in same spot as the Jamo now? Cause placement of the woofer alone can make big difference. It`s a rear ported sub and you seem to have some clearance behind. It isn´t placed in corner either where the bass would be even stronger and possibly boomy without eq.

I couldn´t find anything bad about the sub. Most reviews said it sounds clean, controlled and tight when setup correct. Use google translate for this one:

The issue could be related to settings still, it can be combination of few things though. From behind the sub:

- Level knob - 9-12 clock (25-50%), you don´t want the subwoofer to overpower the rest of system. Best way to get the levels correct with speakers would be buying SPL meter (c-weighted and slow setting is needed, so check that). Probably costs 20-30$ if you can order through some Amazon.

- Cut Off knob - turn this to 200hz max!

- Phase knob - turn this to 0

- Sub cable connected to Left/LFE white

After you have run automatic speaker setup with Onkyo make sure you change speaker size to Small for all speakers and check crossover settings for speakers. If they are set below 80hz you need to manually change them. Assuming it can be done individually for each speakers, set fronts to 80hz, center channel looks small so 80-100hz depending what you have now, same for surround "rears", for atmos upfiring speakers 150hz is often recommended. This is assuming these aren´t set higher.

Check that you have subwoofer set to LFE mode in the Onkyo, not LFE+Main (Double Bass) if there is such option. Turn off any extra bass features also. If the Onkyo setting has Subwoofer phase, set it to Normal not reverse.

Another thing comes to mind if the sub is set too loud and you sit against rear wall where the bass builds up, it sounds just too bassy. It´s quite easy to test though, take a chair and go sit bit more forward from the rear wall (0,5meter). It can easily sound lot better.

Report back if there is something you could try from those mentioned and also answer few of those questions.
Hi Gasp, thanks for taking the time to reply in such great detail and trying to help me identify the issue. Let me try and cover all points raised.

1. Firstly, Yes I have to admit the placement of the centre is totally-off centre. Sadly I had tried to previously wall-mount the TV without much success, some bad plastering meant it just wasn't stable. Have now placed the Centre in the cabinet directly under the TV, but this is also something I've tried to avoid as its way below ear height. May try to prop it up with something so it fires a little upwards.

2. To be very honest, even with the JBL I felt I got more punch and less boom from the Missions on their own, so I used to set Sub to off a lot of the time. Its been a while but I'm pretty sure position-wise, it was very similar. And the JBL blew in a few years of buying it, so I didn't bother replacing it as long as I had the Missions.

3. My current settings are all identical to the settings you have suggested.

4. As I use a recliner, the Sofa tends to be placed a little way away from the wall. However, due to size restrictions I cant really go any further without getting too close to the TV. May have to try listening from a different position in the room. That's something I never tried but also not something I could consider, as the room layout just doesn't support sitting anywhere other than close to the wall.

Was hoping a change of Receiver may be the Silver Bullet I was looking for, but sadly it may not be that simple and I may still end up with a Boomy Sub, Buyer's remorse and a $500 hole in my pocket :thumbsdow

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp, thanks for taking the time to reply in such great detail and trying to help me identify the issue. Let me try and cover all points raised.

1. Firstly, Yes I have to admit the placement of the centre is totally-off centre. Sadly I had tried to previously wall-mount the TV without much success, some bad plastering meant it just wasn't stable. Have now placed the Centre in the cabinet directly under the TV, but this is also something I've tried to avoid as its way below ear height. May try to prop it up with something so it fires a little upwards.

2. To be very honest, even with the JBL I felt I got more punch and less boom from the Missions on their own, so I used to set Sub to off a lot of the time. Its been a while but I'm pretty sure position-wise, it was very similar. And the JBL blew in a few years of buying it, so I didn't bother replacing it as long as I had the Missions.

3. My current settings are all identical to the settings you have suggested.

4. As I use a recliner, the Sofa tends to be placed a little way away from the wall. However, due to size restrictions I cant really go any further without getting too close to the TV. May have to try listening from a different position in the room. That's something I never tried but also not something I could consider, as the room layout just doesn't support sitting anywhere other than close to the wall.

Was hoping a change of Receiver may be the Silver Bullet I was looking for, but sadly it may not be that simple and I may still end up with a Boomy Sub, Buyer's remorse and a $500 hole in my pocket :thumbsdow
Only other option is try to move the sub to other place and run your Onkyo auto setup again (mic placed at main seating position, ear height using tripod/boom arm mic stand and room must be 100% silent) and remember to change those settings we talked about. Do not go change the subwoofer distance figure afterwards, it usually shows the sub is further away than it physically is.

If the boominess is related to room modes i think you need at least something like Denon X3300W - X3700H receiver with Audussey MultEQ XT32 which will do fine job flattening the in-room response of your subwoofer and also speakers. I think the question would be also do you need some other features, more channels too. If that is the case then maybe the receiver upgrade could be ideal if you can find Denon used or can afford new X3600H/X3700H.

Another option is new sub and of course it will be better surely if you pick something from dedicated manufacturer. There is no need for you to have Jamo sub specifically. You should consider example SVS and luckily it`s available there in Dubai. If you are looking something compact sized that sounds good without crazy room rumble then consider SB1000. It will be better than Jamo in every aspect. SVS is most known subwoofer manufacturer i dare say. It comes with long 5year warranty and one of the best support/service also so you get what you pay for. This is sealed model, so less rumble which i assume you don´t care much. For best results you would have better subwoofer + some form of eq so new receiver like the one i mentioned. There is external devices for subwoofer eq, but i`m not sure are they available in Dubai and they are not plug&play.

MaryWhitehouse

Have you tried putting the sub in your listening position then moving round the room to find where it sounds best?

Billykhan

The problem with this is, every available listening position is likely to be against to or close to the wall and anywhere else is simply not going to feasible to seat....so even If I do find the sweet spot, I may not be able to use it....may just have to give Onkyo Eq another chance and cross my fingers!

MaryWhitehouse

If it’s boomy then it’s most likely either too high, in the wrong place or both. Maybe try making some space between it and the cabinet and speakers? Maybe a piece of carpet underneath it?

Billykhan

Just to let everyone know, it does appear a slight change of position seems to have cured the boominess. The Sub is now facing sideways, so theres now even more clearance for the Rear Port as it's no longer firing towards the wall. Still can't say soundtracks are as punchy as they were on my Marantz or even Harman Kardon+Mission setup...but I guess the Missions were true 'Large' Fronts, so I was most likely channelling all but the LFE's to the Fronts which sadly the Jamo's aren't quite able to handle :(

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom