Jamo or Q Acoustics with Sony 1080 amp, improving audio in living room - first system, need help !!! :)

MickEire

Standard Member
I'm looking to upgrade my current audio setup for something better, i am currently using a logitech z5500 which has served me well and has a room shaking subwoofer but is limited quality wise and is just a pc speaker system at the end of the day.

Originally i was looking at getting a jamo s807 hcs set of speakers but now i think ill take it more slowly over the next few months and get something a bit more quality focused that will last

What would your advice be?, - I was thinking i might start off with something like the Sony STRDN1080 if i pushed my budget out and i would pair it with Q Acoustics 3050 (non i version) for the front left and right and build the system slowly up from there over a couple of months eventually ending up with an atmos setup.

Eventually i was thinking Q Acoustics 3010 for the rears and something like the 3090ci for the center,atmos height speakers and subwoofer not sure of yet..
I haven't built such a system before, are there any 'holes' in my thinking above?, would this be a good system to grow?, what is the general opnion on the jamo's and the Q acoustics?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The Sony is old 2017 model missing some newer features, some limitations and bugs last time i checked. You can get Denon X2600H for same price and it´s last year model which has plenty of features and basically the go to model in this price range. It won´t be available long though and then the new one will cost 599£. Price is same to Sony and 6year warranty gives peace of mind.

No pictures of room/roomplan and room size so we don´t know what you dealing with. Subwoofer is a must for movies in mind if you want to build enjoyable system. Floorstanding speakers aren´t really required, most people pick them cause of the looks. Pair of quality bookshelf speakers with stands and good sub (300-600£) is good starting point. Aim to build good 5.1 system first and then worry about atmos.

MickEire

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, I had a look at the denon online and it certainly looks good and ill probably put atmos on the back burner for a while. Was looking at the floorstanders as i generally like the 'bigger' sound that the produce (i've a wharfedale valdus 500 with denon amp in the kitchen still going strong after over 22 years!) and the take up the same floorspace as the bookshelf on stands as my layout wont allow for bookshelves either side of tv .

Value wise the best i can see are the q acoustics 3500 floorstanders -£319, q acoustics 3010 - £99, and the center channel q acoustics 3090c- £99
That's floorstanders, rears and center for around £517 which i think might be good value (i think!! - open to correction!!)) and ill pick up a sub a little later, definitely going to check out that denon av you suggested as well . is it a good start for a system for £517?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply, I had a look at the denon online and it certainly looks good and ill probably put atmos on the back burner for a while. Was looking at the floorstanders as i generally like the 'bigger' sound that the produce (i've a wharfedale valdus 500 with denon amp in the kitchen still going strong after over 22 years!) and the take up the same floorspace as the bookshelf on stands as my layout wont allow for bookshelves either side of tv .

Value wise the best i can see are the q acoustics 3500 floorstanders -£319, q acoustics 3010 - £99, and the center channel q acoustics 3090c- £99
That's floorstanders, rears and center for around £517 which i think might be good value (i think!! - open to correction!!)) and ill pick up a sub a little later, definitely going to check out that denon av you suggested as well . is it a good start for a system for £517?

Sure if you have the space. The 3050 are quite large and deep, and you need to leave some space behind and the sides hopefully too or they can sound bit muffled as you run them as full range.

For smaller rooms slimmer floorstanders will usually work fine. Closest the price of the QAs would be the earlier gen MA Bronze 5, Centre and 1 for surrounds. Few finishes still available. The 3050 is going to have stronger bass cause of larger cab volume and driver size (6,5" vs. 5,25").

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom