1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo E550, any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Justinrog, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

While waiting to buy something like a Pioneer 2011 with some decent speakers around Chistmas time, I just can't live with my current PC speakers downstairs any more. So I have decided to buy a small budget system to keep me happy until I can afford to splash out in a couple of months.

Today, I was doing some shopping in CostCo and I spotted a Home Cinema speaker set (Jamo E550 PPL.2), it was £140, so I figured that I could buy a Yamaha amp for around £179 - £279 and this would keep me happy. Although, when I got the speakers home, I did a search on the net, but could not find a lot of info on them. The set is comprised of two floorstanding Jamo E550 speakers and some E500 surrounds with a centre.

Now comes my problem, I looked at the spec of the front speakers and now I don't know what kind of amp is needed for them and I don't even know whether a budget amp will be sufficient (I thought there wouldn't be any problems, cheap speakers, cheap amp...)...The E550 speakers seem to be 4Ohm Impedance...Heres some info I did find about them...

http://www.jamo.com/consumer/products/products.php3?id=E+550&tab=1

The surround and the centre speakers seem to have a 6Ohm Impedance...

Does anyone know whether these speakers are worth keeping and what kind of amp would be needed?...Shall I take them back and get something else...?

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated, as I just seem to be making my life more complicated as every day goes by.

- I have just signed up to the forum and my interest in Home Cinema is being sparked once again, due to some new purchases. I am still a post-graduate student, so my budget is very limited. Saying that, I just bought a Hitachi Platara 32" Plasma, which I really love and a couple of days ago I managed to find a Pioneer 656 in silver (which is still in the box). Due to my overspending, I am stuck with some PC speakers downstairs (TSS-1). I am currently saving for something like a Pioneer 2011 and some AE's or Kef's, although I doubt I will have that sort of money until Christmas time. I had a nice listen to a 2011 in SuperFi Leeds, with some B&W VM1s, it sounded great!

2. demonthekiller

demonthekiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    WOW have I had this Jamo speaker this long, I got the same speakers from costco