1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo Dvr50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lampshuk, Sep 11, 2003.

1. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody tried this all-in-one system which has Progressive PAL and NTSC support? I have and am very impressed, but have never compared it to another system. I am interested in seeing how to get hte best out of it and my Panasonic AE100 projector...

2. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Lampshuk,

I'm seriously thinking of getting the DVR50 and have a couple of questions I'm hoping you won't mind answering:

Have you managed to play any divx/xvid files from it? If so, what's your opinion on the quality, does it match what a PC could do?
    Did you buy it with any Jamo speakers? (A305 perhaps), again if so are you happy with them?

Thanks for any reply! :smashin:

Lee

3. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but I haven't tried the DivX or anything other than regular commercial DVDs, which look very good. One caveat is that I updated the firmware just after I got it and the new firmware went back to region 2 locked (originally it was region-free). They have sent a further patch which I have not yet tried.

I have the A305s and they really sound very good indeed - very crisp and clear but a thumping base when needed.

I bought from AV-Sales (www.av-sales.com) who have been very helpful. I'm pretty sure that they would help answer any DivX questions.

Hope this helps,

Martin.

4. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for your reply. How much was the DVR50 + A305 from Av-Sales? I can't see any sign of it on their website. I've seen the package for £499 at audiovision online which sounds like a good deal to me!

5. igstephenson

igstephenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lampshuk / leeb

Does anyone have a patch / fix for the Jamo DVR50 to make it multi-region? I have a Region 2 device and have been told that Jamo are keeping customer details in order to post out a multi-region update when available?

Any one have this?

Cheers

Ian

6. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received it from AV-Sales. It was suposedly multi-reg to start with but when I installed the firmware update it overwrote the patch.

I haven't looked at the CD, just stuck it in and it worked. If I get a chance I will try to see ifit's feasible to drag the patch CD into an ISO file.

I have had problems playing backed-up DVD-R and DVD-RW on it (ie no result at all). Home-movies on the same media worked fine.

Ring a bell?

Lampsh.

7. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    There's details of a remote control multi-region hack for the DVR50 in this month's What Video Widescreen Entertainment mag with the review (they gave it top marks!). Please let me know if it works! :smashin:

8. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, since mine works all-regions now I won't really be able to do so. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to get it multi-regioned one way or another.

I'll watch out for the review.

Did you buy one yet?

Lampsh.

9. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk have just started selling the DVR50 with the A305PDD speakers for £449.

I've checked, it's UK, and they're supplying instructions on how to do the handset hack in the box.

Seriously tempting at that price. Worth it ? Opinions please.

10. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion - strongly YES!

11. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lampshuk, I thought that would be the overall opinion :)

On another note, it looks like unbeatable have droped it even further to £429. Thats only £30 more than some places selling the DVR50 without speakers.