1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR50 Problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Rampage, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Got a few problems with my new Jamo DVR50.
    Firstly the multi-region hack doesn't work on it (using firmware 2.7.6) any ideas? When you open the secret menu there's nothing in there about multi-region whatsoever.
    The other problem is rewinding/fast forwarding VCD's and DiVX films, the player just locks up.
    Looks like i'm going to have to send it back to unbeatable :(
    Anyone got any ideas before I do?

Chris

2. ching

ching

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried playing a DivX disc in the demo machine at John Lewis. It got stuck and could only be ejected by unplugging and plugging in again. I get the same problem with the same disc on my machine, however, two other Xvid discs play fine as do the search functions. I'm also using 2.7.6 firmware.

Unbeatable sent me the hack mentioned on other threads for enabling multi-region - seems that they are unaware that it doesn't work with this firmware. Interestingly, they did say that 'it should have been upgraded for you'. I'm awaiting a follow-up.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Its a well known bug that Kiss players can't picture search through most vcds/svcds. It will actually do picture search but it won't allow you to go back to play mode.

4. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Your right, it will FF, but it won't play again afterwards!
    Does this mean that i'm stuck with a DVD player that isn't really suitable for VCD's? Even tho it says it 'plays' VCD's on the box. Seems a bit of a con really, considering that a £40 DVD player will play (and fast forward) them fine! I also havn't managed to find a DiVX file that plays without it locking up yet either!

Whats Xvid? Is it comparable to DiVX?
    ching, would you mind letting me know if you get a reply from Jamo/Unbeatable please :)

Thanks for the replys
    Chris

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    My unit gives a little click through the speakers when changing channels on SKY. It also does it when searching through chapters on DVDs.
    Is this the same on your units?
    If not, i will ask for a replacement. If this is normal i will take this up with Jamo.

I have also found you need to manualy select PAL/NTSC, when playing R2/R1 (region set for 0)discs otherwise you get frame skipping.
    I will be emailing Jamo to see if it is possible to get auto PAL/NTSC selection.

Jamo, have been quick to respond to emails, so i am confident these issues will be dealt with quickly...:)

6. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. ching

ching

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbeatable have offered to take back my DVR50. There are no multiregion version of the players; they rely on the hack in order to make it multiregion. I have asked Jamo what their intentions are. I will post back when I get a reply.

As for Xvid, it's another MPEG4 codec like DivX except that it is open source software. I think Xvid is actuallly a code fork from DivX. There's a lot of Xvid stuff out there, because there are free encoders.

8. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep, mine clicks/pops when changing chapters and when changing the sound mode.

There are no multi-region versions? I bought mine because it could do multi-region!
    Has anyone got a copy of an older firmware that does support multi-region?

9. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Ok Jamo got back right away!

The "click" WILL be sorted in the next frimware release!:clap:

They recommend leaving the player set tp PAL even for NTSC discs. I will try it again, but i don't think they got the point that although it will play, it drops frames or stutters.:suicide:

My unit came with 2.7.6 firmware already installed.
    As most are finding, the secret menu isn't multiregion.
    For this you need a "special" version of the 2.7.6 firmware!
    I was given a disc that i just inserted, and left it alone for a few minutes.
    I rebooted the machine, and hey presto! region change options now in the secret menu!

If anybody is having a hard time tracking this software down, please respond here and i will email it to you. You will need a CD writer and a spare CDR etc.
    If you don't have a burner, i will post you a copy of the disc but ask you donate a couple of pound to my favourite charity!
    Details of which one, would be sent with the disc:smashin:

11. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    That firmware you mention is I believe actually upgrading the firmware of the built in dvd drive. I have a Kiss DP-450 and this is near enough technically identical to the Jamo. The Jamo is a full dvd receiver and the equivilant Kiss model is the DP-470 which I think was never released but instead became the Jamo model. Jamo improved the socketry and may even have fine tuned the video and audio output but at its heart its still a Kiss DP-450 and uses the same firmware and major components. Jamo is reliant on upgraded firmwares from Kiss.

I love my Kiss DP-450 but the danish company behind it are a little eccentric to say the least and seem more interested in doing what interests them rather than sort out long term problems with the firmware like vcd/svcd playback.

The Kiss DP-450 is a powerful Arm RISC powered computer linked to a powerful mpeg decoding engine and it runs at 200mhz. The Jamo may even be faster.

I've just been trying to run LOTR ROTK on my Kiss player but sadly it doesn't work. However the vast majority of divx/xvid films I have work superbly. I would guesstimate 80% of my collection.

I wouldn't give up on it yet. I admit though having to manually change between ntsc and pal is annoying.

12. Dagwood

Dagwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Jamo DVR50/305 package from HiFi4 less and it arrived with multiregion set to All--they had a disc to convert the original. I'm well pleased with the picture and the sound is great but get lip synch problems with my freeview channels when using the set top box--this doesn't happen without the box on. Sometimes there appears to be an almost infinitessimal delay in dvd's and normal tv viewing.
    Anybody have any thoughts?
    Also they suggest putting the sub near to the center speaker for best sound--has this worked for others?

13. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I put my Jamo sub on the ceiling above the center speaker!
    Yes it does lock the bass to the screen...:D

14. ching

ching

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No response yet from Jamo on the multiregion front, but it's good to know that rekall and fulabeer found solutions. I take it that Jamo gave you the disc, fulabeer? As for lip-synch problems, Dagwood, I haven't noticed any problems hooking up a netgem i-player with an optical lead.

Is anyone getting good Prologic II output? When I press the mode button to select PL2MOVIE or PL2MUSIC with a stereo source, the sound is terrible. More specifically it sounds monaural, with most of the output coming from the centre speaker. I can only hear a slight sound coming from the front speakers and dialogue rasps when I put my ear to the rears. Anyone else getting this? Also, according to the manual, I should be able to select PLII movie, Stereo, PLII music and 4 channel Stereo with a stereo source; I can only choose the first three.

15. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    fulabeer, could you send me the software please? Jamo told me this morning that they're not meant to be multi-region, maybe there just trying to protect themselves?

My e-mail address is : rampage7110@hotmail.com

Thanks very much :)

16. Dagwood

Dagwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the same sound as you Ching when I change the mode---has it got anything to do with the source of the music eg if it's a CD you can only select stereo? This is what appears to be the info in the user handbook unless I,m interpreting it wrongly.
    I,m going to look at my setup and cable connections re my lipsynch problems and maybe try an alternative stb with an optical audio out(Sony d800u)

17. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Hi
    I haven't been able to get through to S&V to get the firmware disc yet.
    I will email it as soon as i can etc.
    Paul...;)

18. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

19. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    Fulabeer: Can you email me a copy too please? zappyzane@hotmail.com

Rampage: So has it given you world peace? ;)

20. ching

ching

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for checking Dagwood. So at least one person with dodgy Prologic 2 output. Anyone else?

According to the manual, with a stereo source I should be able to select PLII movie, Stereo, PLII music and 4 channel Stereo. That last option is missing.

21. nano2nd

nano2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is exactly the same re PLII etc. Is this unique to the latest batch (mine came from Unbeatable about two weeks ago)?

Can any users of older revisions of the DVR50 prove or disprove this theory?

Also, Fulabeer, I'd appreciate a copy of the software too if you get it. Change/remove the obvious bits in my email address: nano2nd AT stibbe DOT demon DOT co DOT uk

thanks

22. sunnychad

sunnychad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a DVR50 with the A325 speaker set. Bought from Audiovision Online, great service and great price. All set up and linked to a Panasonic 37" plasma, I have a problem. The speakers crackle like they are blown. This only seems to happen on some of the channels through Sky Digital especially the music ones when turned up to 30. However watching Blade at 45, everything, sound and picture were crystal clear. Can't understand why, any advice. Isn't rc response a bit slow?

23. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    multiregion problems? Problems with DivX? Problems with VCD's?
    Not any more.....see my thread re:Jamo DVR50 multiregion

24. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I would recommend you see gaffers thread.

I couldn't get through to S&V on the phone, so i had to actually go to S&V to get the firmaware disc. But they have posted it to another customer!

I knew i should have made a copy when i had it, but was assured i could have it back anytime i wanted etc.
    I will copy it when they get it back in!!!

Either way, gaffers post should sort everybody out:smashin:
    Click here to go to Gaffers thread

25. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone thats got problems and got it from unbeatable.co.uk should contact them, they'll send out the firmware upgrade CDs so if your still not certain about peoples instructions it may be your best options.

I know they've tested it and it works OK, they are thinking about sending out the CDs with everyone purchased as well but I dont think this has been confirmed

26. kevinl1200

kevinl1200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ching, I've also got the same problem with PrologicII on my machine. Sound is the same and I can't select 4 channel stereo.

Have also got a very noisy fan - does anyone know if this can be cured??