1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR50 multiregion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by G a f f e r, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Hi,
    For those of you who have just bought the DVR50 and found out it's not multiregion as advertised, I've managed to sort mine out fairly easily. My system is now not only multiregion, and region free (rpc-1), but also plays DiVX and VCD's normally.
    Go to my site http://www.drg4.fsnet.co.uk
    then click on the 'links' button in the left hand menu
    now go into my DVD page (NEW)
    at the bottom of the page is full instructions of what to do plus the files needed for downloading.

Hope this helps

2. mycatslovetuna

mycatslovetuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone who's a bit reluctant to try this I thought I'd report my success. I've just followed Gaffer's instructions and my player will now happily play my R1 & R2 discs.

The kit was bought from audiovisiononline just before Christmas and came with the 2.7.6 firmware with no Region option on the hidden menu.

A very big THANKS to Gaffer for putting up the instructions and files.

:clap:

Mark

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Just upgraded my Kiss DP-450 to firmware 2.8.0.0 and this sorts out the vcd/svcd picture search freezing problem. Presumably a 2.8.0.0 version of the Jamo firmware is on the way.

However on the negative side I watched Judge Dredd this morning and got occasionally frame skipping (3 times approx). Never seen this on the earlier firmware but then this is the first time I've watched my Judge Dredd DVD so it may be the dvd and not the new firmware. Anyway vcds will now scan at 8x only and pause and it works 100%.

4. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I also occasionally get frame skipping / problems with menu displaying but I got these same problems BEFORE the firmware updates. BTW it's always cured by just ejecting the disc and trying again...
    anyone else had these probs with dvr50 or is it just us?

5. ching

ching

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gaffer74, I get

Not Found

The requested URL /links.htm was not found on this server.

when I tried to take a look at your multiregion fix. Also, do you get the Prologic II problems mentioned on the 'Jamo DVR50 problems' thread?

6. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try this link :

Here

Thanks Gaffer74

:)

7. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Above link doesn't work!

Been trying to post the link, but it just goes to the homepage!

Click on 'search' on the left hand side of the page and type in 'dvd page'. About the third result down is 'Garrer's DVD Page', click on this and go to the bottom of the page.

8. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    My apologies everyone, I had a slight glitch on my site (but i've fixed it now)

here's more detail:
    ALL of my pages redirect you to the index page again.
    the way to do it is go to:
    http://www.drg4.fsnet.co.uk/
    Now click on the links button in the nav bar on the left
    The page that loads up on the right should have a yellow background.
    Scroll down this page till you get to the link for My DVD Page.
    A new page will load within the frame. I put a list of my dvd's here so that i could keep track of who i lent them to. At the BOTTOM of this page if you scroll down is the jamo dvr50 info.

Even if you click on http://www.drg4.fsnet.co.uk/dvd.htm, you will automatically reload into the index page again and have to navigate to it as above again.

Hope that helps.

ps unrelated issue, but my page has a new guestbook on it - if you've got some time and wanna write up a comment, i promise i'll even keep the bad ones up (fair enough, this is an unashamed plug of my site ;-) HaPpY nEw YeAr).

9. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Cheers Gaffer74, tried your instructions and i can now play region 1 and 2 DVDs! Havent tried any other as of yet...

One question though; now that one can select the SCART option in the hidden menu, what should it be set to? I think mines on 480p at the mo.

10. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You should have been able to select the scart option before?
    Isn't it the progressive scan rate? If so then why is it under 'scart' and not 'component' ?

11. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I got an addendum with my dvr50 that said that to select prog scan via component highlight "YPbPr 480p" for NTSC discs or "YPbPr 576p" for PAL discs (unfortunately it's not auto, you have to manually select it before you play the disc (region 1 or region 2).
    I don't know why it's under the heading "scart", but I presume the other options in this menu (eg the list of pixel resolutions) do apply to the scart lead {maybe there wasn't enough room to add the word component in the menu} ;-)

12. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone that purchased the DVR50 from unbeatable.co.uk who are having problems with the multi-region issue should contact them, they'll send out two firmware upgrade CDs and instructions to sort the problem out .. it's been tested and they know it works so if your're still a little uncertain about everyones instructions speak to them ..

As far as I know, they are planning to send the CDs out with every new one purchased but I don't think theres been confirmation yet ..

13. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I purchased mine from Av-sales and they already had the the player upgrates to Multiregion All. So no need for disks and updating if you purchased from them recently.

14. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think with unbeatable its the whole "some customers don't like us to break the seal" on the box issue .. I wouldn't mind myself, but some people would rather get a box with an intact seal and instructions on how to do it, as long as it's simple and comes with nice easy instructions that is ..

15. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    My box didn't look like the seal was broken to me. Can't say I was totally paying attention though. Maybe mine was upgraded at Jamo, who knows...

16. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, no company makes there own players multi region .. they may provide a hack to do it yourself but they have to be seen supporting copyright law and the film industry (the reason region codes exist) and so they make it a bit more of a challenge to do .. if it comes from your supplier multi region they've opened the box and typed the number in for you ..

17. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well ...... you learn something new every day.

18. avnf

avnf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Jamo DVR50 from hifi4less.com, multi-region as advertised, problem free. They had it for 479.00 and delivered next day.
    avnf

19. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    It was £450 from unbeatable.co.uk when I bought it, but I think their price has changed to £479 now in line with everyone else.

20. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Just as a matter of interest, does anybody else have a problem eith their Jamo in that it randomly ejects a DVD 20-30 mins into a film?

Doesn't happen everytime, but it's annoying when it does!

21. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Nope, no problems at all with mine.

If you havent done the firmware update, that might help. otherwise...? send it back?

22. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I turned all my remote's around so they weren't facing the TV, seemed to do the trick.

It appears a signal is getting transmitted from one of my remote's (Sky, Jamo, Panny 6 Plasma, or VCR) to the Jamo every so often which results in it ejecting.
    I never did the firmware update as mine was set to Region All to start with. So I saw no need.

23. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Hi mate

Say I set the component to 480p, would it autmatically ouput progressive for r1 and interlaced for r2 discs or would I have to changing something in the menu to be non progressive on PAL.

My TV only has NTSC progressive, but I don't want to keep going in and out of menus when I change discs from each region - which I have to do with my PAL/NTSC Harman Kardon player.

This sort of thing not the easies to find out...

24. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone answer the above. Is the only thing between me getting one of these or a Panasonic SAXR45 to match my DVD player.

25. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Sorry, I know this isn't very helpful but I'm not sure until I buy my projector (waiting for Panny ae500 to become available in the UK). Atfter this, I'll be watching everything in prog scan mode so I'll know by then wether it defaults to interlaced for the other regions (I assume it would as otherwise there'd be no reason to make a distinction between R1 prog and R2 prog). Hope this helps

26. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Hi mate, thanks for that.

In the menus, can you assign NTSC to progressive and Pal to interlaced separately (if you can do that, it should work).

Some NTSC progressive players don't work this way (they try to ouput everything as NTSC progressive or output nothing through component on the PAL - so is a bit of a minefield).

27. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Mine does odd things too, like switch on or switch over to video mode - but it only does this when I press the 'volume up' button on the tv remote! Very odd.

So I've relegated the tv to the bedroom (make way for the AE500 projector...:devil: )

28. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Ok, i have noticed one odd thing. Sometimes the digital optical in stops working. It still does everything else fine, but switching it to either AUX (PS2 optical out -> Jamo) or TV (set for another optical in/out) dosent.

I can resolve this by unplugging it from the wall, leaving it for 30 secs or so for any residual charge to dissipate, and plugging it back in. It then works normally again. It's only happened twice, and nothing else strange (knock wood etc) had happened.

29. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What TV do you have Gaffer74?
    I have a Hitachi 42PD3000, when I adjust the volume on it FF and RW don't work on the Jamo!

30. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    My tv is a toshiba 4:3 model (not sure of number, I inherited it - modern enough to have fastext and scart in - about 26" i think)

Anyway, it's now in bedroom - MAKE WAY FOR 89" OF WIDESCREEN GLORY - Panny AE500 arrived today and it's stunning with the Jamo.

BTW, did you know that all projectors output prog scan from interlaced signals, doesn't matter if NTSC or PAL, it converts everything (even computer inputs), so turn off the prog scan output setting on your Jamo and leave it sending an interlaced signal ---- the proj will convert it to true PAL prog scan. If you leave the incoming (jamo -> proj) as prog scan, the proj will try to convert a prog scan into prog and leave you with a grainy picture.....

basically, prog scan outputs on dvd players are designed for TV's which haven't got built in de-interlacers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.