1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR50 - internal whirring/fan noise

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by N.I. Andy, Dec 2, 2003.

1. N.I. Andy

N.I. Andy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently purchased the Jamo DVR50 and A305 PDD system, and jolly impressed I am too - sound and picture are both excellent and the whole system looks superb. There is however one thing vexing me, and I'd appreciate knowing whether other users are experiencing the same thing or whether my DVR50 needs to be looked at.

After about 30 minutes or so of use, either on DVD play or for the TV (but not for the radio), what can only be described as a whirring noise, rather like the sound of what could be an internal fan, starts in the main unit. Its not that loud, but its just about audible enough to be annoying during quieter moments in a DVD. Whilst the unit does get very hot if I put my digital box on it, it doesn't feel overly hot for a piece of electronics when its standing by itself. The noise still happens though even when there isn't anything on top of the unit.

Anyone else getting the same noise, or should I be getting it looked at before it overheats and barbeques my flat.

2. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would really get it looked at just to be safe, I have sold hundreds of these and never heard of anything like that.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    30 minutes sounds about right for a unit that only switches on its fan when it gets to a certain temperature. Maybe others do the same but their fans are silent where as yours isn't. Alternatively the way yours is setup has poor ventilation and gets hotter than the average unit. Try it in a different location? Is it on a totally flat surface?

4. hartge bob

hartge bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did this problem get resolved?

I have just purchased a DVR50 and my unit exhibits this same problem.

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    My units fan comes on after a while.
    It is completely normal for such compact units.
    My Sony 880 which it replaced, also had a fan that did the same.

Although as you say it's not loud, it would be better if it was silent!

I would consider upgrading the fan for a quieter one, when it is out of warranty etc.

6. nano2nd

nano2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DVR50 and I thought the fan was a -little- noisy until I got an XBOX. Man alive, that thing is loud!!!