1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR50 - Any reason why i shouldn't get this?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by simonph, May 14, 2004.

1. simonph

simonph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just come across the DVR50 and A305PDD AIO package and am wondering if its too good to be true? Anyone have anything bad to say about it?
    Just got rid of a Pioneer DV99 and am now on the hunt again.. Got a budget of £500 max and am open to suggestions! :)

2. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There's a lot of threads on here if you search.
    I've got one, had a few problems, but with the most recent firmware it seems more or less ok now.
    I've got mine in a small room, don't think it would be loud enough in a large room.
    I'm impressed with it for the money tho (£450).

3. nano2nd

nano2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same package and concur with Rampage regarding little niggles & firmware.

However, it definitely fills a large space well. I live in an 800sqft loft and it doesn't feel at all underpowered. In fact, the clarity and dynamism exceed my previous Sony STR DB930 based separates system.

For audio CDs it is more than passable (so much so that I've put away my Rega Planet/Mira/Jura hifi.

4. simonph

simonph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds just what I'm after, want a system good with music and movies. Thought about going the separates route but the mrs doesn't want loads of 'boxes'.. have been looking for a slimline amp and considered the pioneer c301 but after the fiasco I had with the DV99 I'm not to happy about buying their stuff again. Will the Jamo speakers go on stands? And lastly, will they look ok next to a silver tv?
    Thanks

5. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ive had a Jamo since Jan this year and like the others I've had a few probs with it.

Like an SVCD on my 'cheap' DVD player plays fine but it doesn't play on the Jamo.

A few 'backup' DVDs jump and stop playing on my Jamo but play fine on the cheap DVD player.

With NTSC playback on R1 DVDs you get stuttered movement in high action scenes which is very annoying. I take it this means the hardware in the Jamo isn't up to scratch?

As for the speaker stands. I recently bought two for £57, the ones made by Jamo. The are very good.

Despite the 'minor' niggles above, the Jamo is mostly fine. The sound quality is very good and the picture quality on my Plasma is great.

6. simonph

simonph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the help.. have decided to go the separates route and use my old dvd player.. will save up instead for a dvd recorder. many thanks