1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR50 and universal remotes?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Stinja, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,384
    I'm having problems getting my Jamo to work with a Kameleon 6-in-1 universal remote. It dosent respond to the pre-stored codes, the ones i got downloaded from the telephone didnt work (might try calling them again), and even direct learning dosent seem to get the functions to operate. I have successfully done other direct learning for other devices, so its not me or the remote.

So i'm wondering if they are just not compatible? Any Jamo owners got a universal remote to work? And if so make/models? and if it was a All-In-One brand do you know the code, as i think they all use the same database.

Help appreciated!

2. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have seend some universal remotes in curry's which I think is the same as yours, on the box it lists that it will work with a Kiss DVD player. Your Jamo is based on a Kiss with a few bits added/removed. Try this first.

Failing that, how long have you had your DRV50?
    If it's fairly new then try using an old version on firmware on it, as they made the IR less sensitive on the newer firmware.

3. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,384
    :thumbsup: Totally sorted - cheers!

I do now remember Gaffer74 (?) saying something about the latest update decreasing the IR sensitivity, but it had slipped my mind... Had to scrabble about the attic, locate the old disks and reload it. A few test plays showed the universal remote responding MUCH better. Still not quite 100%, but damn near enough, and now i get glowy bluey goodness instead of peering at the unlit Jamo remote. Then i "wasted" and hour direct learning the PJs features to it, playing and checking all the various devices, and since i had made a nice comfy arse-crater in the sofa, it felt like beer time and to scope the Star Wars DVD extra disk...

4. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats good to know, I was thinking of getting my girlfriend to get me one of those remotes for my birthday!

Is the remote in general ok?
    Did it work using the standard Kiss settings?

Chris

5. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,384
    It did my Sony TV and Panasonic VHS player straight from the box/code numbers at the back. The Jamo i had to telephone and they sent a download via that (you hold the remote by the phone), then a few commands i had to input manually; eject and mute i think. My Sanyo Z2 PJ i've had to manually direct learn the functions in one at a time. I have a couple of other devices i havent tried to use with it yet.

As for the remote itself? Well it looks pretty nifty, big glowy blue light-up has a certain wow factor, but can be a bit hard to read in strong sunlight. I got it for my PJ mostly, and as thats used in the dark anyway... It's more a "man toy" than being woman friendly; its quite large and might confuse those of less logical persuasion. Apparently it goes through a set of batteries a month (4 x AAA), i turned my illumination brightness down as soon as i got it, but its almost that now with no probs. I'll get two sets of rechargables if it is that quick. It does make a slight humming noise, but its only really noticable when its quiet and if you hold it close to your ear.

Functionally its pretty good. You get a click for a button press, but its not like you can learn the layout so you need to glance at it which some people dont like. Programing has been fairly easy, controls things well.

Overall i'm happy i got it (now my Jamo is using it!) as the slew of remotes on the coffee table was getting downright silly and annoying. Very good for show-off factor, works in the dark.

There's also a big thread here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53521

And this one tells you how to turn off the motion sensor:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149391