1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR50 £599 at JL anyone else better?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by honeydew, Nov 15, 2003.

1. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Preferring to always buy my stuff from JL their curent price for the Jamo DVR50 is £599 and they wont match unbeatable's price of £429.

Anyone seen this baby at a high strt store cheaper so JL can price match?

Thanks for any help
    reKall

2. nano2nd

nano2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you prefer John Lewis? Also, do they have a policy of not price-matching web stores? Are unbeatable iffy? I'm on the verge of ordering same from them......

Sorry its all questions and no answers.

3. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just think John Lewis is a better shop when anything goes wrong, the staff are not 16 yr old trainees (like currys and dixons) and they chuck in a 5yr guarantee with all electrical stuff. Dixons et all charge loads more for this. Wife worked for JL for 12 yrs so I know how they work. Nothing wrong with unbeatable just that people like JL simply cannot match their prices and still make a profit.

4. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Check out the availability on unbeatables site, bit odd, but just to confirm ours are also £429 when we don't have any stocks!!!! and also the reason price promises don't work against companys like unbeatable is they do state it does have to be in stock.

5. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    My local JL (Nottingham) gives a 2 year warranty with the Jamo. Isn't 5 years just for tvs?

6. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh could be sorry

7. Ben_Hur

Ben_Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Price gone up to £450 at Unbeatable. Wonder if they're expecting stock soon?

8. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    I recieved my Jamo from Unbeatable 2 days ago, so i guess stock is in and rapidly going out as well!

Very happy, with one exception so far, i've tried Gladiator, Crouching Tiger, B5, a CDR with Divx AVI files - all worked better than expected. Clear visuals, no shuddering, lip-sync or other probs. I was using a PS2 before, which while "fine" is definitely inferior to the DVR50.

The speaker pack fills the room with rich lucious sound, i thought i only had a moderate amount of volume, but my girlfriend said she could hear it walking up to the house from the street! :D :eek: so i hope the neighbours arent ****** off and not telling me about it.

The only real problem i've had is that audio CDs (originals) seem to play back as if at half speed? I havent had a chance to test further, it might be a setting or something, but i hadnt intended to use it for much music so not a big deal.

Smaller niggles are that they only supplied 30m of speaker cable, i had to buy another 6m, and as was noted in the reviews; whats up with the purple/blue LED on the subwoofer? Bit of black duct-tape to fix that.

9. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks iZed for your review ;)

I ordered mine on Monday while still at £429 from unbeatable and the web site still states 'Awaiting stock from supplier' so either they are getting them in in the next few days or...who knows

Anyway looking forward to trying out the new Two Towers Extended edition DVD that I received yesterday - could play it through my XBOX but that would not be the same...

BTW iZed what stands are you using for the A305 speakers? I am struggling to find anything that fits apart from the custom Jamo ones at £80 a pair!

10. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    I got these "B-Tech StealthO" for £20.29 (but in black):
    http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...pports&product_id=273198&variant_id=ST0056366

EDIT: link dosent work properly, just go to CPC and search for "stealth" and click on the stands. AWESOME delivery turn around, ordered in the morning, delivered the next day.

They are inoffensive, relativly stable, as in dont fall over when the cat attacks it. Only problem was the supplied bolts do not fit into the holes of the Jamo speakers, so i got some 4mmx16mm (?) nuts and bolts from B&Q which fixed everything.

11. Parveen

Parveen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but I doubt that will happen cos I babble a little bit too much (hey, I am a woman!!).

Me & my boyfriend were looknig into getting a Home Cinema System and after a few of weeks of looking into it we decided between 2 systems, the Sony DAVSC5 (I wasn't too keen on cos I thought the whole thing looked Alien especially the speakers) and the Sony HTP3100.

We popped to our local Sony Centre where they had the 2 systems set up, although we knew we would not be buying from there as we'd seen good deals on the web, but we wanted to have a listen to make a final decision. (I don't know if any of you have noticed this way but...... every shop we have been into had the Home Cinema Systems set up around the TVs so you could never get a realsitic idea of what the system truely sound like?!)

Anyway......... in the town we went to for the Sony Centre, there was a John Lewis and I managed to persuade my boyfriend to go in there as I've always only heard good things about JL.

when we went in we discovered their Audio Room, and at first we both thought they had laid the speakers & systems out oddly, well we thought they had cos we were so used to seeing the whole systems plugged into a TV and surrounding the TV, but we soon realised they had laid it out perfectly, all the speakers were laid out as if the Audio Room was a living room.

They only had the Sony DAVSC5 set up so we had a good listen to that, and we had pretty much decided we were going to purchase this system on the web. However the sales assistant suggested the Jamo system but the price was way above what we were intending to spend (£600), but we thought what the hell and had a listen.

Both of us were blown away and walked out wanting to buy the Jamo System but we didn't think we could get it any cheaper than JL, but there was no harm in looking and we got straight on the net to start our mission.

As you have all found, Unbeatable sell this at a fantasitc price, and as soon as we found it we ordered the baby!

It arrived with us within 7 working days (which isn't too bad considering it's such a new system). It sounds absolutely fantastic, and the Audio CD's sound perfect too, no problems with them playing at half the speed, the sound quality is unbelievable really, saves on having the hi-fi downstairs, it was ideal for us!

I would definitely recommend the Jamo for sound quality, the speakers sound so crisp and it is defintely in a different league to the 2 Sony Systems we were looking at (we were even condisering the Pansonic HTP500 and the Jamo is far superior), but we have a couple of teething problems.

We have plugged the NTL box & Playstation into the back of the JAMO DVD reciever, but sometimes it jibs out and we don't get any sound even though the settings have not been changed. It is very odd, the other day we changed a game on the PS2 and one minute the sound was there, then as soon as we changed the game the sound has gone! We will speak to Jamo on this to see if we've got it set up correctly, we are a little bit baffled by it!

One last thing, we noticed on the warranty it states 2 yrs for electronics (power supply, Amplifier, etc) ad get this...... 7 yrs for other parts (cabinet, speaker units, etc.)

Can't be bad eh!!

12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    Tried other Audio CDs and i think its a decoding thing. Mostly it's fine. But just on occasions it must interpret wrong and play at the wrong speed.

Z2 has arrived, so integrated with the Jamo, and a virtual movie experiance at home! No more paying £12 at Licester Square for a poor seat, people talking/texting all the way through and no cold beers - I am so sorted!

13. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    easy / silly question time

Does the Jamo have an amp built in or do you run it through a seperate AV amp ?

14. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the jamo is an all-in-one system - nothing else needed