1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR 50 or Denon 500SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Radg, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Radg

Radg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am looking to buy one of the above systems. I have read great reviews on this site and others about the Denon and not so much on the Jamo.

I like both of them but i am needing a bit of help swaying me in one direction or the other. I like the way the Jamo looks, plays Divx and has an Active Sub. I like the Denon because everyone else seems to get on great with it and it seems good value for money. IF i pay the extra £100 or so quid i want to make sure i dont get a system that is tempramental with discs. I play DVD-R and SVCD a lot too.

So any input/feelings on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

PS Why dont i go for the 550 i hear you cry! Space issue for me so i would preffer not to.

Cheers :smashin:

2. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Jamo DVR50 and have had nothing but trouble with it, which seems to be common. Yes, the sound and picture are superb and it plays DivX etc, but I wish I'd never bought the damn thing. It freezes up, won't switch source, remote doesn't function properly and switches itself off all the time.
    I was about to write a thread asking for replacement recommendations when I saw your thread !
    As I write, the Jamo will not function AT ALL. I switch it off at the mains, then power up - nothing works at all. So I am left with no sound at all.
    If I were you, I'd get the Denon!!

3. Radg

Radg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. i actually went into the shop again to test the Jamo and the remote didnt work and the button response was sluggish. The guy in the shop said it had been on for ages but that seems like a lamo excuse.

Think i might go fo the 550 after all as it seems to be more in line with the Jamo than the 500.

I hope you get a solution to your problems though :clap:

4. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I have a DVr50
    Every successive firmware update results in poorer system functioning.
    Every now and then it decides to turn off in the middle of a film (and with no pbc, this means you have to go through all the bleedin' menus again to get back to where you were).....or whilst forward winding, it will decide to stick you back to an earlier scene or two (about an hour back for instance)......or maybe it will decide to not respond to the remote.....etc etc.
    And what is it with all these software updates.....I feel like I've regressed back to Microsoft Windows days.....NOTHING else I have AV/Hi-Fi wise requires constant updating like this, other dvd players don't either.

Overall, the longer I have the system, the more I think I've brought a thinly disguised Chav Chariot (nice shiny gleamy on the outside, but a rancid pile of turd where the engine should be :( )

Go for the Denon.

5. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

I have the same problems with mine.
    As soon as I get round to packing it up, it's going back to Unbeatable.co.uk (for the second time) I was without it for 5-6 weeks last time!

I wish I'd never bought it too.

6. chrbjo

chrbjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a brand new firmware (2.9.4) for the Jamo DVR50 out.

Seems really good so far, both faster and more stable. Too bad the DivX3.11 support have been removed, but XviD still works fine.

7. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for letting us know :)
    I'll try it out!

Chris

8. Radg

Radg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad there seems to be a solution for the DVR50's problems. If you dont mind let us know how you get on with the new firmware.

Unfortunately like Microsoft some updates break more than they fix :laugh:

9. pannymad

pannymad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lurking through the posts I see several people have had trouble updating the firmware and then finding their player is no longer multi-region.

My player is still under guarantee and I am nervous about messing up its multi-player functionality ( I bought from HIFI4LESS as multi-region).

Can someone confirm that I need to:

1) Check in the "hidden menu" 'info' '2' '7' '6' and check it says "multi-region"

2) Burn the ISO and run the upgrade 2.9.4

3) Then after successful upgrade I need to make sure no disc inserted (empty drive)

4) Unplug the Jamo from the mains for about 20 seconds.

5) Plug back in and you should see "power up" come onto the display of the unit.

6) Now try the hidden menu 'info' '2' '7' '6' and select multi region again.

phew - that seems easy enough:(

anyone?

10. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tried the new firmware out last night for a short time.
    It seems more responsive when using the remote, sometimes only 2-3 keypresses are required to get it to FF/RW etc.
    It used to take 20-30 attempts to get into the hidden menu, I've just tried it 3 times and it worked first time every time!

It also adds the option of audio delay into the hidded menu, something that I've been wanting for ages!

The multi-region option has disapeared from the hidden menu now, so I guess I'll just have to use the multi-region disc again.

pannmad : sounds right to me.

Chris

11. Bandittto

Bandittto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DVR50 and want to upgrade to the latest firmware. Not sure how I go about this...I hve burnt the exe file to CD but when I place in the DVR it does not recognise the file type....do I need to access a menu (hidden?) to let the played upload?

I am hoping it solves a problem I have when pausing or rewinding Sky+....the sound drops out and will not come back until I unplug the damned thing

Alternatively...is there a reset function to avoid unplugging?

12. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bandittto

You need to burn it as an image. Took me a few attempts but eventually worked it out...problem is I forget every time exactly how to do it.

I think there are the details when you download the zip file.

13. Bandittto

Bandittto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely there are instructions somewhere (from Jamo?) that walk the uninitiated through a procedure that details hoe to load up the latest firmware?????

14. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When you download the upgrade, there are instructions to guide you through the process.

Mine was collected today, so let's hope I get it back soon , preferably a new one.

Would also point out that most of my stuff is in Divx3, so that's me goosed for the upgrade eh? Good thinking Jamo - your customers will no longer be able to watch the fave films in their collections anymore, unless, of course, they convert them to DVD format.

15. pannymad

pannymad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you download the .exe file from the JAMO site you then need to RUN it on your PC and it unzips automatically into three files:

an ISO file ( which is a CD image file)
    a PDF "read me" about the upgrade and,
    a PDF about how to burn the ISO image using NERO.

Basically if you are using NERO you need to "burn image to disc".

Then follow the instructions.

Rampage - can you let me know if it was easy switching your multi-region back on ? - ta very much...

16. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    pannymad : You just need to re-install the multi-reion firmware from the disc (if you have one). On mine though, all my problems came back after I re-installed the multiregion firmware :(

Does anyone have a copy of the multiregion firmware from Jamo that they could e-mail me please? At the moment I'm using the Kiss driver firmware, and it's not too good!

Chris

17. pannymad

pannymad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah,
    sorry I don't have multi-region modification disc as the Player came multi-region already. I though you could modify it like I posted earlier.

I think I might not upgrade the Jamo firmware just yet...

Rampage, maybe the problem you are having is that the KISS firmware is overwriting the Jamo stuff so that your problems are KISS based rather than Jamo?

18. chrbjo

chrbjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have removed the false claim I had that there were issues with 2.9.4 and CD audio playback.
    I received a new firmware from Jamo and I did a full update this time. No problems whatsoever with CD audio.

19. tsedge

tsedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my ignorance here, but does Jamo provide multi-region firmware to customers?

I just upgraded my DVR50 with the KISS firmware and then Jamo firmware v2.8.5 to get multi-region playback (it was advertised as multi-region when I bought it from Unbeatable ages ago, but I've only just got my first region 1 disc).

Now, on reading this thread, I'm worried that having done so might cause problems.

Can I use the KISS firmware with Jamo v2.9.4? If so, how?
    Can I get multi-region some other way?
    How can reset the player to remove the KISS firmware - is that just by doing a "Full" rather than a "Partial" update?

Thanks,

Tom.

20. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    I'm still using the 2.7.6 update and havent had any of the problems you guys have had (since the last minor one i mentioned in the big "Jamo Multiregion" thread).

In fact i'm very happy with it - just thought i should provide a counter-point since everyone else is pointing out issues.