1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jamo DVR-50 operation a bit clunky?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mcgroa, Oct 5, 2004.

1. mcgroa

mcgroa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    Just got my hands on nice new DVR50 and 305 speakers. Great to have one boxer that sounds superb for music tv ipod and dvds :)
    I used to have a marantz cd setup with Mordaunt 904 fs big boys for cd and ipod playing, and a separate videologic dts for movies and tv. The sound isnt quite as good for music, but is superb for movies and all round its great to end up clearing a whole box of audio and a whole box of cables out of my living room.....

Only thing is - am I the only one that thinks the menus and operation on the DVR are really clunky?

1. Where can I see remaining time to go on the DVD or CD!!! I can call up lots of other crap about encoding, chapter number etc....even my trusty old tosh 2109 could show remaining time

2. Scratched CDs. Am I the only one who plays a scratched CD to find it stops playing and the only way to get the damn thing going again is to pull the power lead out the back and force it to reboot?

3. Sound disappearing when flicking modes. Anyone else loose the DVD sound if the flick over to TV sound and back? Again needs hard reboot.

Oh and to keep the demands coming - anyone know remote codes for Tivo remote to do volume for the DVR :D

thx

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,522
    1. Not sure. Dont think it lets you sorry. I'm not concerned as i just watch a movie till the end, and knwoing how soon its going to finish can spoil any plot twists!

2. Sounds bad. Mine dosent, and i havent heard any other owners here complain? Is it DVD's or just CDs? in which case maybe they weigh different or something, and its minutely off blance?

3. Mine does drop the sound on occasions (like once every month or two). Mostly it occours when i swap between DVD and the setting i have for my Digital Audio in for my PS2. I used to unplug - wait - plug in, but since the newer update just swapping back to DVD then to AUX works fine. So its become a very minor annoyance.

But yes, while i am pretty happy with the DVR50 there's stuff which seems "odd", and you'd have thought would get picked up in testing. No power/reset button. No frame by frame advance?! Menus a bit clunky. Have to turn off sub manually. No fast chapter select. But overall its a good package and i guess the mark 2 model (if they do one) will fix most of this stuff.

3. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Also have the Jamo, first unit was replaced due to fan noise, Not really noticed any of you symptoms except when i played a brand new out of the box Star Wars V to find it locked up, had to remove the disc a quick wipe although it looked clean and not scratched and it played.
    Also noticed its switched it self off on two occasions, although unsure what caused it, I was playing the Xbox and had left it standing for a few minutes.
    Not enough to make it a bad buy IMO sound and looks more important so happy. :)
    Quattro