Jamo DVD 50/A305 package.

jumbopants

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy the Jamo DVD 50/A305 package after the Sony system I was going to buy fell through to go with my Toshiba 42wh36p. The only problem is that the speakers are Black ! The player is silver and my TV is silver the speakers stands are silver BUT the speakers are Black, this will look stupid, are they available in silver ? I have had a good look around and can only find them in black, has anyone seen them in silver ? I want to get the Jamo speakers that come with the player as they got such good reviews in What Hi Fi, but will look stupid next to my TV and out dated. Can anyone recommend a decent similar set to go with the system but must be of simailar size as the Jamo speakers, as I am limited on space and don't want large ugly speakers.

Many thanks for any replys.

The speaker housings are silver, with a similar texture to the player itself. Only the cover over the front of the speakers is black. I'm considered to be fussy when it comes to aesthetics but I've never been offended by the look of the 305s next to my silver TV etc...

Alternatively, you could pair the DVR50 with the A410PDD. I don't know if any of the dealers will bundle the two or what it would cost though....

Cheers for the reply nano2nd, I can see what you are saying, it's just a shame the grills are not silver, seems crazy to me to have them black, just how good is the sound from the system ? especially when you crank up the volume, also are there plenty of settings to get the sound to your individual taste ? eg, hall/stadium/movie etc - are there different sound modes ? I will be buying this Jamo system on the back of the excellent review it had in What Video, so would be nice to hear the comments from some one who has one ?

Plus what the cheapest anyone has seen this system for ? The best I've seen it for is £487.98 incl. del from Unbeatable.

The sound is, in my opinion, great. I watched Donnie Darko on it last night and had the volume reasonably high. I don't know if you've seen the film or not but at the start it's fairly quiet - lots of dialogue. Then... when the aircraft engine falls on the house I nearly sh*t myself.

This is just an example of how it impresses me. The system demonstrates incredible range - from subtle, detailed dialogue to very loud action sequences. I've certainly not pushed it to the limits volume wise but at levels i've used so far it is detailed and crisp. Note - the sub does take some careful positioning and tweaking (volume + cutoff).

There isnt a host of pre-programmed sound modes like "stadium", "hall" etc. You get "Jamo Reference" which is tuned to get the most out of the package, "Dynamic", or custom where you can set the levels for different speakers. I'm a firm believer in listening to things how they were recorded. Any messing with treble, bass or whatever is really just distorting the way it was meant to sound :)

Cost-wise, I got mine from Unbeatable when they were £449. If the Unbeatable price is now £487, I'd suggest looking somewhere else.. They don't keep these in stock and appear to wait until they've received a certain number of orders before getting any in. I waited three weeks for mine. Just about everywhere else sells it for £499 - is a £13 saving worth a three week wait??

Totally agree with you about the delivery period quoted by the suppliers. I have been waiting for almost four weeks for mine. Shall be canceling tomorrow. A very good unit though...

Jumbo
Have you considered the dvr50 with the a210 speaker package?
These are silver.

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/jamo_dvr-50___a210pdd.html

I dont know how they compare to the a305 speakers, I posed on here a couple of weeks ago & seems no-one has them.

I too don't particularly like the look of the a305's (or rather she who must be obeyed doesn't like them), but am reluctant to order the a210's without at least a positive comment.

I have the exact same problem as you, the girlfriend was not happy when I showed her the black speakers on the nett, I found a review of the speakers that you suggested -

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review102_main508.html

Which seems quite positive, plus they look better than the black but I think they are designed for a small room - it also says in the review the sub is not up to much, in a round about way. Would love to get the black ones but think that they would look stupid next to all my silver gear, also to me they look outdated by about 2years when all the black tv's etc were around. May just buy the dvd player and link up with a set from Richer Sounds.

The missus insisted on not getting the A305 speakers owing to the ugly black cube sub. She loved the look of the player though.

As luck would have it our local Jamo dealer had the A410PDD speaker set in stock when we dropped by for a demo. 1500 Euros in total with 2 x stands. Bought it, took it home and set it up ourselves last Saturday and would comment that the sound quality, to my untrained ears, is excellent. Crisp treble and enveloping surround sound are highlights. Sub can be a bit boomy when playing reggae CDs so probably need to fiddle with the on board settings a bit as suggested above.

All I need now is a nice Philips 32pw9528 to complement the speakers!

ahh just notecied you had already bought but was going to say we match the DVR50 with the rest of the Jamo speaker range, also I must agree with the Donnie darko bit, but must also state that sh*t myself more when it's all quite and that bloddy rabbit says "wake up!!!" was'nt expecting that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom