Jamo D7PTX THX Ultra2 7.2 Pack...anyone?

fred123go

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
I can't find anything on these speaker packages on this forum, is there anyone who has these/heard them? They look a superb THX Ultra2 7.2 package for the price.
cheers
fred
p.s. btw i am not thinking of upgrading to these, just in case anyone says anything!

If i recall, the subs that come with that system are pretty close to the paradigm servo 15, so bass reproduction is a strong point i would imagine.

The only Jamo speakers I have ever heard are the concert 8's, a pair of speakers that would frighten most of those who stick with the old HC speaker brigade! Unfortunately i suspect that this system wont be even hinting at that performance.

ad

cheers ad, so the subs are good quality, and the speakers at £550 per speaker, roughly, and with THX ultra 2 certification is pretty good value. there must be someone on here with this package who can comment on their performance...i doubt anyone could get a demo before buying
cheers
Fred

Yes there is one member on the forums who owns these, but I can't for the life of me remember who. He loves them to bits as I recall.

Why're you so interested Fred?

Dimmy

just wanted too know what the jamo 'sound' was like, i can imagine they are similar too M&K's. And also, since that package is pretty damn good value, why there aren't more people who buy them/sell them at all. Indicates to me that performance is under par.
fred
...and perhaps a indication that thx ultra 2 certification can be bought rather than earnt...but i don't want to stir up anything here so take my comment as nothing

Fred - we're talking about a £5k speaker package, so the amount of dealers is always going to be pretty closed off.

It doesn't reflect badly on the speakers, just obeys the laws of 'Supply and Demand'.

Dimmy

My a1 speakers would never have got the airing of M&K, nor my power amps get the airing of rotels....... but by no means are they under par, on the amp front at least there is nothing further from the truth and perhaps on the speakers too (you can ask matt about that seeing as he just changed).

Sometimes, you just wont hear about things, not everyone goes big to publicise what they are doing

ad

Originally posted by buns
My a1 speakers would never have got the airing of M&K, nor my power amps get the airing of rotels....... but by no means are they under par, on the amp front at least there is nothing further from the truth and perhaps on the speakers too (you can ask matt about that seeing as he just changed).

Sometimes, you just wont hear about things, not everyone goes big to publicise what they are doing

ad

Indeed, I hadn't heard of a little thing called the 'Servo 15' until I discovered these forums.

My mind was polluted with Rel's Q range.

The shame :rolleyes:

Dimmy

Fred, live with your M&Ks for a while, at least get used to the sound and make an informed decision before rushing off to replace them:)

I know many of us are guilty of constantly upgrading - [actually upgrading is a bit of a red-herring, more accurate is changing equipment] - with me being one of the worst (;)), however spend a little time living with your kit, buy some DVDs and enjoy watching them:)

Before you look at any new speakers, the first thing you have to do is buy an SPL meter. Regardless of whether you own a £200 system or a £10000 system, imho an SPL meter is E-S-S-E-N-T-I-A-L.

Do your current systeme justice and treat it to some proper calibration, and forget about upgrading for a while....

Matt

cheers matt,
I just thought i would make it clear, i do not wish to ever have this speaker package, i was just curious as i have heard little or nothing on this despite it being Thx ultra 11.
SPL meters are just for subs right?and one is def on its way.
The only way i can foresee an upgrade to 3 M&K S-150's is if we actually move into a permanent,large, dedicated home cinema room. There is no point in pumping money into my system, in the space i am operating it is worthless. My system atm is definately worth a bigger room, in april we are moving into a house, although only for 6 months, grr, which has a room 6 times mine and looks perfect for a home cinema. But again that is not permanent and when we move again we may not have a room at all, and again *** i will have to locate all my stuff in my bedroom.
very frustrating
fred

Originally posted by Smurfin
Before you look at any new speakers, the first thing you have to do is buy an SPL meter. Regardless of whether you own a £200 system or a £10000 system, imho an SPL meter is E-S-S-E-N-T-I-A-L.

Do your current systeme justice and treat it to some proper calibration, and forget about upgrading for a while....

Matt
Presumably this is just for multichannel playback?
I usually use the DIRECT setting on my amp when listening to CD, radio and other vanilla stereo sources.

spl meter is just as important for the surround channels as for the sub.......

ad

right well i don't have a clue about calibration so i will have to look into it, just used the MCACC on me old pioneer before.
fred

i heard the d7 system a while back. whilst it was very good, i felt the bass to be too slow and uncontrolled - not a touch on the m&k 150 system with an mx350 sub. don't get caught up in this "thx" thang, its crap, as long as the speakers sound good thats all that matter right?! BTW, the monitor audio gold reference system would be what i buy in my next upgrade - GR 60s,GR Centre and 2X GRFX's mmmm:smashin:

Originally posted by dts_boy
i heard the d7 system a while back. whilst it was very good, i felt the bass to be too slow and uncontrolled - not a touch on the m&k 150 system with an mx350 sub

What environment did you hear it in?

i heard the d7 system a while back. whilst it was very good, i felt the bass to be too slow and uncontrolled - not a touch on the m&k 150 system with an mx350 sub. don't get caught up in this "thx" thang, its crap, as long as the speakers sound good thats all that matter right?! BTW, the monitor audio gold reference system would be what i buy in my next upgrade - GR 60s,GR Centre and 2X GRFX's mmmm:smashin:

Would have to agree with you re the THX thing.....it's just a technical specification,one which many modern amps cant reach,and a lot of older,and obviously non-THX approved,amps will meet and exceed with ease.
The same goes for speaker and sub systems.....it's the overall sound that matters,and how it works for your ears,not what the spec says.

i heard them in a sevenoaks demo room, although to be fai the m&k is a permanent install wheras the Jamo system was kinda setup in there. still they had been setup properly with an spl meter etc...or so they said!

Didn't do it for me either but I thought it all looked pretty nice (in an unusual airport sort of way) - if it is the system I am thinking of - quite flat black things and the same size speakers all round.

The m&K system sounded better but I thought the sub was integrated really badly - almost too loud so that you could tell it that the bass was coming behind rear. These two set-ups convinced me that satellite and sub systems aren't for me and went for a more traditional set-up. Funnily enough, not a million miles off what has just been mentioned - Gold Ref GR20's, GR Centre with 2GRFX's for the rear. All these were also seen at the sevenoaks store - small world (wouldn't like to paint it though :smashin: ).

simon

Not sure whether anyone will still be reading such an old thread, but here goes all the same.

I have a set of Jamo D7s - very good, but I though I should make people aware of the limitations....

I have a 5.1 setup - only one bass speaker and no rear surround(s). The issue I have is probably more to do with the room than the kit - the room is shaped like this:

-fl-----------c-------------fr-
|s |
| |
| |
s |
o fireplace
f |
a |
| |
| |
sl sr
| |
----------arch--------------

Much of the surround sound is lost through the arch, therefore exact sound imaging is impossible.

I am considering putting adding two sb speaker above the arch.

Has anyone any suggestions?
Thanks!

Richard

i dont own the jamo d7's but i do have the baby brothers (jamo d6 pex 7.1 thx package) and i absolutely love them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom