Jamo A102HCS5 or Kef KHT 1005.2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by simpsod1, Feb 9, 2009.

1. simpsod1

simpsod1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I am buying a CA AZUR 340r (do to slim size required) and have around £300 to spend on speakers

I want a unobtrusive set of speakers (apart from the sub) and have so far seen Jamo A102HCS5 or Kef KHT 1005.2.

I mainly use the system for Blue ray via PS3 and Sky HD....I don't have the volume up too high as have a young child.

Question is which set of speakers offer the best value for money and would suit the amp best??

Many thanks in advance

Dave

2. Gibbo the Geek

Gibbo the Geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I asked my local dealer this recently and he said without a doubt the KEF's. He felt the Jamo's were lacking somewhat in comparison.

Although also have a look in the powerbuy section at the canton movie's. the 80cx's are very well liked, and a good price!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. max222

max222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    and yet What Hi-Fi say the Jamos (see their website for review etc)....confusing isn't it

4. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    woops I didnt see this thread! I just asked the same question yesterday :rolleyes:

Yeah the Jamos do get a 5 star rating in WhatHifi but that seems to be down to the fact that they are such good value for money.
    The cost being £250.

Quote: "the Jamos easily earns five stars. This has much to do with value: the A102HCS5 is so competitively priced, given its quality, that it all adds up to a great package"

However the Kefs get a 4 star rating with a price quoted at £400. It is a very positive review

In the WhatHifi review of the Jamos they do point out a flaw - fizzy treble. Now Im thinking.. given this flaw, had these speakers cost £400 they would not have given the 5 stars. And if the Kefs were priced at £250 when the review was done would they not have been given 5 stars.......

Ive got a day off work today and I am going to buy some speakers, Im sure if I get either of these packages I am going to be happy, they both seem good for the money and anything has to be better than my old LG surround system (£100 from Argos 4 years ago), but if anyone has any pointers, they would be appreciated :)

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Ive had the jamos in my bedroom set up with the jamo amp for the past 2yrs and cant fault them for the money they are a no brainer.
    Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 Speaker Pack
    A good price with free delivery.
    Andy.

6. max222

max222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I would love to hear a view from someone who's heard both Jamo and Kef - I have the Jamo set in one room and am tempted to buy the Kef set for my 2nd room as the silver Kefs are very cheap also (not the black ones) - but before I take the plunge it would be good to hear which one is really the better. The Jamos replaced some 10 year old Mission separates and I have to say I am pleased with the Jamos so far. The Kefs do seem to look a bit more "proper hi-fi" in pictures though.