Jamo A102 vs Canton Movie 80 CX

alfie786

Standard Member
has anyone compared the tannoys to the JAMo's or Canton's?

which are good for mids and good for music too with a say a 608

does it matter if speakers are 6ohms or 8ohms? thanks.

ChimpsInTies

has anyone compared the tannoys to the JAMo's or Canton's?

which are good for mids and good for music too with a say a 608

does it matter if speakers are 6ohms or 8ohms? thanks.
After hearing the Cantons I didn't even bother asking to hear the Tannoys afterwards. You can also tell from the feel of them the Cantons are going to sound better. RS really do get more profit from the Tannoys which is why they are pushing them. You'll be hard pressed to find a review that says they're better.

Remember that you're buying small satalites with a sub. They're never going to compete with a decent set of hi-fi speakers. Saying that the amp on the right mode helps with that. It can really fill the room nicely with the THX music mode. :smashin:

The amps will usually determine the impedance of the speakers and adjust itself accordingly so I wouldn't worry about it. :lesson:

Shamitinho

Standard Member
3rd time lucky.

I finally got to take the sub back to RS today. I've been off work or snowed in for the last week.

I had to take the display model but they changed it over no problem. There is a slight scratch on the top which I'm a bit miffed about but hey-ho.

The good news is that it works :clap: There is no thunderous thump every time it goes into standby and no transformer buzz. I can't believe my bad luck getting two broken sets in a row. Makes me wonder where RS get their stock from. :rolleyes:
Well, at least you have a working unit now. Good to read you're sorted.

wetpants

Been listening to these Canton's for well over a month now, and I must say, that for the size and price, these speakers can handle their own! I'm really pleased with them, and with a decent DTS-HD soundtrack, they're nothing short of awesome.

I've got these running off a Pioneer VSX-920, and when you hear Toy Story 3 or Inception in DTS-HD the sound will blow your socks off. You hear the clarity in the vocals, and the everything rumbles when it's supposed to.

Now that RS are doing them for £150, there's really no excuse. I'm looking to pick up another set (for 2 extra satelites) to complete a 7.1 system.

ChimpsInTies

Got to admit. I'm gonna pop in to my local store and try and buy the spare speakers from their demo set to make up the 7.1 :smashin:

I just got Rambo which is my first 7.1 dts HD soundtrack. Can't wait.

Camberwell

Been listening to these Canton's for well over a month now, and I must say, that for the size and price, these speakers can handle their own! I'm really pleased with them, and with a decent DTS-HD soundtrack, they're nothing short of awesome.

I've got these running off a Pioneer VSX-920, and when you hear Toy Story 3 or Inception in DTS-HD the sound will blow your socks off. You hear the clarity in the vocals, and the everything rumbles when it's supposed to.

Now that RS are doing them for £150, there's really no excuse. I'm looking to pick up another set (for 2 extra satelites) to complete a 7.1 system.
Hi there, I have just picked up a set of the Canton 65 CX's , assuming they are similar in design would you be able to give me any pointers on using the supplied wall brackets? The fixings seem to be too small for the hole in the bottom of the speakers, so they just won't sit. I'm wondering if I got the wrong fixings by mistake?
Thanks!!

ChimpsInTies

Hi there, I have just picked up a set of the Canton 65 CX's , assuming they are similar in design would you be able to give me any pointers on using the supplied wall brackets? The fixings seem to be too small for the hole in the bottom of the speakers, so they just won't sit. I'm wondering if I got the wrong fixings by mistake?
Thanks!!
I don't use the stands on mine sorry. I could go down into the cellar to check the box but it's very cold these days. :nono:

I tell you what. That Rambo BluRay is great. At one point they're in this village and a mortar goes off. Bloody hell. I nearly jumped out of my seat. It felt like one actually went off next to me. Wow! Great :smashin:

rorton

hi, there should be a little screw on the bottom of the bracket. Slacken this off completely, then the speaker should drop onto the bracket. You can then tighten up the screw again to stop it wobbling.

Camberwell

hi, there should be a little screw on the bottom of the bracket. Slacken this off completely, then the speaker should drop onto the bracket. You can then tighten up the screw again to stop it wobbling.
Hi rorton, there is that screw, problem is that when it's tightened up it's still too small (narrow) for the hole in the speaker. There is also no thread in the hole to screw into, so even when the screw can't tighten any further on the bracket, the speaker won't stay on as it's not actually secured to the bracket at all....:confused:

ChimpsInTies

Or post a picture to show us what you mean :lesson:

Camberwell

Or post a picture to show us what you mean :lesson:

As you can see, the hole in the speaker is smooth.

Here you can see the bracket and screw attachment. It looks like it should go into the hole in the speaker, and then when you tighten it up, it should expand and fit the hole snugly. Thing is, no matter how tight I make it, the bracket just slips out with no resistance.
I've tried all 4 supplied brackets with all 4 sats, in every combination but it just does not work.
Looks like a trip back to the shop (only bought them a week and a half ago), but it'll have to wait until the new year for that....

wetpants

I don't use the stands on mine sorry. I could go down into the cellar to check the box but it's very cold these days. :nono:

I tell you what. That Rambo BluRay is great. At one point they're in this village and a mortar goes off. Bloody hell. I nearly jumped out of my seat. It felt like one actually went off next to me. Wow! Great :smashin:
Yeah, I jumped at the same scene! It's all quiet, then BOOM! Love it.

Camberwell, not really sure how to solve your speaker problem. I kinda undid the screw a little, then the speaker could slide in. Then tighten back up the screw and the speaker is on tight.

jammyone

Thanks!!
I have the Canton 80's and thought the same when I first tried to mount them - it was driving me nuts until I found how to tighten my set by accident.

The solution I found was to unscrew the plastic mounting nut so that it was just holding on the screw thread, turn the satellite over so the mounting hole is facing downwards and then push the fixing into the hole as far as it will go by pushing the metal bolt until it was flush with the underside of the wall mounting bracket and the bracket is touching the bottom of the speaker and then tighten the screw up.

The secret seem to be in making sure the plastic fixing nut goes as far into the satellite as is possible.

If you can't mount the speaker on the bracket before fastening it to the wall then just try to get the plastic nut into the speaker mounting hole as far as possible before tightening it up by making sure it's as unscrewed as possible and pushing it in via the end of the bolt.

Last edited:

Camberwell

I have the Canton 80's and thought the same when I first tried to mount them - it was driving me nuts until I found how to tighten my set by accident.

The solution I found was to unscrew the plastic mounting nut so that it was just holding on the screw thread, turn the satellite over so the mounting hole is facing downwards and then push the fixing into the hole as far as it will go by pushing the metal bolt until it was flush with the underside of the wall mounting bracket and the bracket is touching the bottom of the speaker and then tighten the screw up.

The secret seem to be in making sure the plastic fixing nut goes as far into the satellite as is possible.

If you can't mount the speaker on the bracket before fastening it to the wall then just try to get the plastic nut into the speaker mounting hole as far as possible before tightening it up by making sure it's as unscrewed as possible and pushing it in via the end of the bolt.
Thanks very much for replying (in both threads!), sorry for the delay. I tried that earlier, and again after you mentioned it, but it simply does not tighten in the hole. In the end I packed it out with some masking tape and that seems to have done the job. Bit of a crappy design if you ask me but hey, for the money they sound good!