Jamo A10 vs LG LHS-55TB

cybergambit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a pretty standard/common set up in my main living area consisting of a TV and Soundbar with wireless Sub - so this is where my hard earned is currently being invested.

However, I recently decided to turn the spare room into a more dedicated theatre room for once in a while movies, gaming etc. but didn’t want to “take it too seriously”. So I bought a relatively cheap second hand projector (Epson EB-U05) and put up a projector screen. I then dusted off some old kit I already had which was a Harmon Kardon AVR 171 receiver (actually very decent) and two ‘full’ sets of speakers.

This brings me to my main question, where I was hoping for some opinions please. I have a 5.1 set of Jamo A10 (2x A102, 2xA10S, 1xA10C with a Jamo Sub) and also a 5.0 set of LG LHS-55TB (no sub only speakers, so would be using the Jamo Sub anyway). Simply put, which of these speaker sets should I be using? Which set is better, the Jamo or LG?

Following on from that, I also wanted to ask whether I should use one set of speakers (the chosen better set) as the main 5.1 and then use two of the speakers from the other set to make it up to 7.1 because the AVR allows 7.1?

I know there’s not much 7.1 content - so I would be using either Harman NSP settings to “upscale” 5.1 to use the rear surrounds or Dolby Pro Logic IIx in the same way (side question... which of these is a better sound processor for 7.1 upscaling?). Or would it be a better overall audio experience to just use the standard 5.1 setup with Dolby Digital Plus set on the AVR and not get greedy in trying to force the two extra rear surrounds into the room?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Looks like the LGs has nominal impedance of 8ohm so should be ok to use with your receiver. Most of times these are so cheap and made to use with the amp that comes with the package. LG is known from tv`s and washing machines, not from speakers so the quality is what it is. Jamos are tiny satellites. You could listen both and see which you prefer. Clearly the LGs are larger and if they sound decent. Your ears will be the judge.

If you have about 0,5-1meter behind your couch then connect the surround backs. If they would go behind your heads close by then i wouldn´t bother. Here is how you would place them optimally, if that isn´t possible then stick with 5.1 (surround sides only). You have the speakers already so you can always try and listen how you feel. Run the auto setup of Harman Kardon if you add/remove/move speakers. Hopefully you can later buy some better speakers.

Looks like the LGs has nominal impedance of 8ohm so should be ok to use with your receiver. Most of times these are so cheap and made to use with the amp that comes with the package. LG is known from tv`s and washing machines, not from speakers so the quality is what it is. Jamos are tiny satellites. You could listen both and see which you prefer. Clearly the LGs are larger and if they sound decent. Your ears will be the judge.

If you have about 0,5-1meter behind your couch then connect the surround backs. If they would go behind your heads close by then i wouldn´t bother. Here is how you would place them optimally, if that isn´t possible then stick with 5.1 (surround sides only). You have the speakers already so you can always try and listen how you feel. Run the auto setup of Harman Kardon if you add/remove/move speakers. Hopefully you can later buy some better speakers.

Thanks very much for your reply Gasp.

Yes the LG speakers are larger but like you said I don’t associate them with speakers and so was in a fix as to which speakers would be better - the larger, non-speaker brand or the smaller, traditional speaker brand ... I’ll do a listening test as you suggest and see which sounds better to decide (was being lazy in not wanting to do the set ups and go back/forth testing, so wanted someone to just tell me what to do!!).

So once the speakers are decided, I need to choose between 7.1 and 5.1. I do have that 1meter gap behind the sofa and so could go 7.1 - but read some place that using Dolby Digital Plus with only 5.1 setup actually ends up sounding better than using Dolby Pro Logics IIx to upscale 5.1 to 7.1 sound, so more speakers don’t actually sound better unless the sound is 7.1 native... is this true?

Thanks

Thanks very much for your reply Gasp.

Yes the LG speakers are larger but like you said I don’t associate them with speakers and so was in a fix as to which speakers would be better - the larger, non-speaker brand or the smaller, traditional speaker brand ... I’ll do a listening test as you suggest and see which sounds better to decide (was being lazy in not wanting to do the set ups and go back/forth testing, so wanted someone to just tell me what to do!!).

So once the speakers are decided, I need to choose between 7.1 and 5.1. I do have that 1meter gap behind the sofa and so could go 7.1 - but read some place that using Dolby Digital Plus with only 5.1 setup actually ends up sounding better than using Dolby Pro Logics IIx to upscale 5.1 to 7.1 sound, so more speakers don’t actually sound better unless the sound is 7.1 native... is this true?

Thanks

I hope others will comment on that, but would you agree with him as people have different opinions. If you have spare speaker cable or can buy some cheap from amazon you can try it as you have the speakers there. I would always try things myself and see is it worth it for you or not. It will be good test for future aswell cause i would highly recommend you start saving for some real hifi speakers and sell those "toys" for friend or at gumtree. You have projector and big screen for movies, it can feel bit underwhelming if the audio side is poor..

Hope you have some mic stand/tripod/camera stand for the HK receivers mic when you run the setup as you need to have the mic at seated ear height in the main seat. It´s quite loud when you run it (at least my old HK was!), keep room silent and do it when you alone at day time. Should be quite quick though. Boom arm mic stand + clips or tripod won`t cost much at Amazon Uk if you order speaker wire then order that stand too.

Before running the EZ setup i would place the sub fairly close to front main speakers, especially if you use the tiny Jamos which can`t play low so you don´t want to subwoofer to locate as own source. Put the level knob at 12 clock position, cut off knob to max 200hz, phase knob to 0, power switch to On not Auto (you can later use the Auto!).

I hope others will comment on that, but would you agree with him as people have different opinions. If you have spare speaker cable or can buy some cheap from amazon you can try it as you have the speakers there. I would always try things myself and see is it worth it for you or not. It will be good test for future aswell cause i would highly recommend you start saving for some real hifi speakers and sell those "toys" for friend or at gumtree. You have projector and big screen for movies, it can feel bit underwhelming if the audio side is poor..

Hope you have some mic stand/tripod/camera stand for the HK receivers mic when you run the setup as you need to have the mic at seated ear height in the main seat. It´s quite loud when you run it (at least my old HK was!), keep room silent and do it when you alone at day time. Should be quite quick though. Boom arm mic stand + clips or tripod won`t cost much at Amazon Uk if you order speaker wire then order that stand too.

Before running the EZ setup i would place the sub fairly close to front main speakers, especially if you use the tiny Jamos which can`t play low so you don´t want to subwoofer to locate as own source. Put the level knob at 12 clock position, cut off knob to max 200hz, phase knob to 0, power switch to On not Auto (you can later use the Auto!).
Thanks again Gasp. Yes you’re absolutely right, the HK audio calibration is a small mic stick which I’ll position at the seating position before I test out each speaker set - hopefully I’ll actually be able to tell the difference, otherwise it will be even more frustrating!

I also completely agree that the audio will be inferior to the set up - as mentioned, I wanted to do the set up as no frills for now, see if the room is made use of before investing further.

I’ll try and repost the 5.1 vs 7.1 question in a more appropriate thread and see what people think.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I got the opportunity to bring in a set of B&W M1 speakers (5.0) and was able to sell off the LG and Jamo sets to cover the cost completely with some to spare. I feel this is definitely a step up... unless someone thinks it wasn't worth it? Please let me know.

So now I need to get subwoofer to go with the system. I know the older AS2 goes with this and are cheap second hand, but they are scarce. Or there’s the PV1, but very expensive. Is there any suggestions for a suitable sub which wont break the bank?

As mentioned, I’m trying to get a competent set up in place without spending any additional to what I have already.

Also, what is the best receiver to go with this B&W set up. I’m using the HK AVR171 at the moment but also have a Pioneer VSX-421 if that would be better? (Considering I’ve now conceded to a 5.1 system and not 7.1).

Thanks for the continued opions folks!

Just wanted to give a quick update. I got the opportunity to bring in a set of B&W M1 speakers (5.0) and was able to sell off the LG and Jamo sets to cover the cost completely with some to spare. I feel this is definitely a step up... unless someone thinks it wasn't worth it? Please let me know.

So now I need to get subwoofer to go with the system. I know the older AS2 goes with this and are cheap second hand, but they are scarce. Or there’s the PV1, but very expensive. Is there any suggestions for a suitable sub which wont break the bank?

As mentioned, I’m trying to get a competent set up in place without spending any additional to what I have already.

Also, what is the best receiver to go with this B&W set up. I’m using the HK AVR171 at the moment but also have a Pioneer VSX-421 if that would be better? (Considering I’ve now conceded to a 5.1 system and not 7.1).

Thanks for the continued opions folks!

The M1s should be fine satellites, compact sized and nice looking if you got the mk2 (2012) version. They are often overpriced at ebay/gumtree, but hopefully you got yours cheap. Certainly forum favourites for long time. Nice to have identical speakers all around. Get as good woofer as possible. It can only make your whole system sound lot better bringing larger weight and depth that you could imagine.

There is no need to buy matching B&W sub, you can pick freely and the recommendation is to buy from dedicated subwoofer manufacturer. Although i would advice against used sub as you never know when the amp fails. Can be expensive repair soon. Risky. For a new one check BK Electronics if you live in UK. Bang for buck is very strong and they have plenty of finishes to suit your room decor aswell, to keep wife happy. Made in UK Essex.

The KLH Windsor 12" would be one to consider if you looking good impact for action/scifi/horror flicks. You also need to consider where to place the sub. Front corners, front wall 1/4 or 1/3 width are often good picks. Small changes can make difference so keep that also in mind if you are tight on space.

Keep the HK if it works fine, sounds good and has the features you need. Both are cheap ones so not really that much difference. I had one beefy HK receiver back in the days, it was great! Looks ok machine and was top of the new range.

The M1s should be fine satellites, compact sized and nice looking if you got the mk2 (2012) version. They are often overpriced at ebay/gumtree, but hopefully you got yours cheap. Certainly forum favourites for long time. Nice to have identical speakers all around. Get as good woofer as possible. It can only make your whole system sound lot better bringing larger weight and depth that you could imagine.

There is no need to buy matching B&W sub, you can pick freely and the recommendation is to buy from dedicated subwoofer manufacturer. Although i would advice against used sub as you never know when the amp fails. Can be expensive repair soon. Risky. For a new one check BK Electronics if you live in UK. Bang for buck is very strong and they have plenty of finishes to suit your room decor aswell, to keep wife happy. Made in UK Essex.

The KLH Windsor 12" would be one to consider if you looking good impact for action/scifi/horror flicks. You also need to consider where to place the sub. Front corners, front wall 1/4 or 1/3 width are often good picks. Small changes can make difference so keep that also in mind if you are tight on space.

Keep the HK if it works fine, sounds good and has the features you need. Both are cheap ones so not really that much difference. I had one beefy HK receiver back in the days, it was great! Looks ok machine and was top of the new range.

Thanks Gasp.

I picked the M1 speakers up for just under £200, but that included 4x B&W floor stands for the satellites (the centre has the basic tabletop holder). Too expensive?

Thanks for the recommendation on third party subs, I never considered it. I always thought keeping the same manufacturer for everything creates the best synergy. I can pick up a used AS2 for around £80-90, but you’re saying that it’s not worth it?

Before I go looking for a new sub from (KLH looks decent), the last option I already have is the Jamo SUB 200 which was with the Jamo A10s. Any good? Or definitely going to be underwhelming?

Thanks Gasp.

I picked the M1 speakers up for just under £200, but that included 4x B&W floor stands for the satellites (the centre has the basic tabletop holder). Too expensive?

Thanks for the recommendation on third party subs, I never considered it. I always thought keeping the same manufacturer for everything creates the best synergy. I can pick up a used AS2 for around £80-90, but you’re saying that it’s not worth it?

Before I go looking for a new sub from (KLH looks decent), the last option I already have is the Jamo SUB 200 which was with the Jamo A10s. Any good? Or definitely going to be underwhelming?

Probably ok price as you got the stands too. They are silly expensive bought as new. I guess you got the Mk1 version:
b_w.m1mk1.silver.ortonsaudiovisual.jpg

This is the latest mk2 version which came 2012:
bowers-wilkins-m-1-mkii-satellite-speaker-individual-spatialonline-18094296_2000x.jpg

Well if you ask me use the Jamo sub for the time being and save up! The KLH is certainly cheap option if you can afford it right away and shouldn´t leave you cold with the blockbuster type flicks. Decent size vented cabinet with 12" driver is going to move some air. Just look is the cab size ok so you don´t have to "hide" it. Let´s say example if you would have to put it in front corner and it would sound little boomy there, then you would have to move it little bit out from the corner closer / in between main speaker and center channel. So again just to remind you the placement is important. I would pass any old B&W sub.

If you want something more room/wife friendly with nicer finish then the BK subs are great. At 400£ mark you would be looking the P12 model which has been popular with AVF members for years. You can choose DF and FF cabinet. There is also more "movie oriented" P12-PR model at 480£ (3rd link), passive radiator at bottom to give stronger low end below 30hz.

Probably ok price as you got the stands too. They are silly expensive bought as new. I guess you got the Mk1 version:
b_w.m1mk1.silver.ortonsaudiovisual.jpg

This is the latest mk2 version which came 2012:
bowers-wilkins-m-1-mkii-satellite-speaker-individual-spatialonline-18094296_2000x.jpg

Well if you ask me use the Jamo sub for the time being and save up! The KLH is certainly cheap option if you can afford it right away and shouldn´t leave you cold with the blockbuster type flicks. Decent size vented cabinet with 12" driver is going to move some air. Just look is the cab size ok so you don´t have to "hide" it. Let´s say example if you would have to put it in front corner and it would sound little boomy there, then you would have to move it little bit out from the corner closer / in between main speaker and center channel. So again just to remind you the placement is important. I would pass any old B&W sub.

If you want something more room/wife friendly with nicer finish then the BK subs are great. At 400£ mark you would be looking the P12 model which has been popular with AVF members for years. You can choose DF and FF cabinet. There is also more "movie oriented" P12-PR model at 480£ (3rd link), passive radiator at bottom to give stronger low end below 30hz.

Yes they are mk1, obviously mk2 would be better but the price difference is huge... plus from what I understand, although there is a difference in asthetics and build, the inly other major advantage of mk2 was the better bass response otherwise the difference didn’t justify the cost difference for me. Plus, I really needed stands as I didn't want to start mounting on walls (just yet!).

Thanks for all the advice on the subs, fantastic info.

From an initial decision between Jamo vs LG speakers... I now want to make the setup better and better because of all the great advice! Arggghh!

I’m now even reviewing the room itself, which I never even thought about. I’ll post in the correct thread for that shortly, so please have a look if you the get the chance to give your feedback - it’s a whole “fireplace” situation!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom