James Horner (Titanic music composer) dies at 61

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
JamesHorner.jpg
Composer James Horner has died in a plane crash at the age of 61.
Composer James Horner, who won two Oscars for the music of Titanic and scored such other blockbusters as Avatar, Braveheart, Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, has died, Variety has confirmed. He was 61.

From Wikipedia:
He was known for the integration of choral and electronic elements in many of his film scores, and for frequent use of Celtic musical elements.
Horner was an accomplished concert hall composer before he moved into writing film scores. His first major film score was for the 1979 film The Lady in Red, but did not establish himself as a mainstream composer until he worked on the 1982 film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Horner's score for Titanic is the best selling orchestral film soundtrack of all time while Titanic and Avatar, both directed by James Cameron, are the two highest-grossing films of all time.
He has also collaborated multiple times with directors Jean-Jacques Annaud, Mel Gibson, Walter Hill, Ron Howard and Joe Johnston. Horner composed music for over 100 films, and won two Academy Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, three Satellite Awards, three Saturn Awards, and was nominated for three British Academy Film Awards.

Horner died while piloting his Tucano turboprop aircraft on June 22, 2015, at the age of 61.

Here is a list of titles he composed the music for:
2015 The 33
2015 Southpaw
2015 Living in the Age of Airplanes (Documentary)
2015 Wolf Totem
2015 One Day in Auschwitz (Documentary)
2014 Starship Valiant: Legacy (Video short)
2012 First in Flight (Short)
2012 The Lost Berserker (Short)
2012 Reflections on Titanic (Documentary) (score music: from Titanic)
2012 The Amazing Spider-Man
2012 For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada
2011/II Day of the Falcon
2010 The Karate Kid
2009 Avatar
2008 The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
2008 The Spiderwick Chronicles
2007 The Life Before Her Eyes
2006 Apocalypto
2006 All the King's Men
2006 CBS Evening News with Katie Couric (TV Series)
2005 The New World
2005 The Legend of Zorro
2005 Flightplan
2005 The Chumscrubber
2004 Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II (TV Series) (1 episode)
2004 The Forgotten
2004 Le nom de la rose (Video documentary) (uncredited)
2004 Field of Dreams: A Diamond in the Husks (Video documentary short)
2004 Troy
2004 Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius
2004 A Stuntman for All Seasons: A Tribute to Bennie Dobbins (Video documentary short)
2004 East Meets West: 'Red Heat' and the Kings of Carolco (Video documentary short)
2004 I'm Not Russian, But I Play One on TV (Video documentary short)
2003 House of Sand and Fog
2003/I The Missing
2003 Beyond Borders
2003 Radio
2003 The Making of 'Sneakers' (Video documentary short)
2002 The Four Feathers
2002 Windtalkers
2001/I Iris
2001 A Beautiful Mind
2001 From Morf to Morphing: The Dawn of Digital Filmmaking (Video documentary short)
2001 Unmasking Zorro (Video documentary) (from "The Mask of Zorro")
2001 Enemy at the Gates
2000 Krull: Marvel Comics Video Adaptation (Video)
2000 How the Grinch Stole Christmas
2000 The Perfect Storm
2000 Freedom Song (TV Movie)
1999 Bringing Down the House (Video documentary short)
1999 Lions and Monkeys and Pods... Oh My!: The Special Effects of 'Jumanji' (Video documentary short)
1999 Bicentennial Man
1999 Michelle Kwan Skates to Disney's Greatest Hits (TV Movie)
1998 Mighty Joe
1998 The Mask of Zorro
1998 Deep Impact
1997 Titanic
1997 The Devil's Own
1996 Ransom
1996 To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday
1996 Courage Under Fire
1996 The Spitfire Grill
1995 Balto
1995 Jumanji
1995 Jade
1995 Apollo 13
1995 Casper
1995 Braveheart
1994 Legends of the Fall
1994 The Pagemaster
1994 Clear and Present Danger
1993 The Pelican Brief
1993 We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story
1993 Bopha!
1993 The Man Without a Face
1993 Searching for Bobby Fischer
1993 House of Cards
1993 Once Upon a Forest
1993 Jack the Bear
1993 A Far Off Place
1993 Swing Kids
1992 Sneakers
1992 Unlawful Entry
1992 Patriot Games
1992 Thunderheart
1992 Fish Police (TV Series) (1 episode)
1991 Norman and the Killer (Short)
1991 An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
1991 Rocketeer
1991 Class Action
1991 My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys
1991 Once Around
1990 Extreme Close-Up (TV Movie)
1990 Another 48 Hrs.
1990 Tales from the Crypt (TV Series) (1 episode)
1990 I Love You to Death
1989 Glory
1989 Dad
1989 In Country
1989 Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
1989 Tummy Trouble (Short)
1989 Field of Dreams
1988 Andy Colby's Incredible Adventure
1988 Cocoon: The Return
1988 The Land Before Time
1988 Vibes
1988 Red Heat
1988 Willow
1987 *batteries not included
1987 Project X
1987 P.K. and the Kid
1986 An American Tail
1986 The Name of the Rose
1986 Captain EO (Short)
1986 Where the River Runs Black
1986 Aliens
1986 Off Beat
1985 Let's Go (Short)
1985 In Her Own Time (Documentary)
1985 Amazing Stories (TV Series) (1 episode)
1985 Commando
1985 Wizards of the Lost Kingdom (from "Battle Beyond the Stars")
1985 The Journey of Natty Gann
1985 Volunteers
1985 Cocoon
1985 Barbarian Queen (from "Battle Beyond the Stars")
1985 Faerie Tale Theatre (TV Series) (1 episode)
1985 Surviving (TV Movie)
1985 Heaven Help Us
1984 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
1984 The Stone Boy
1983 Uncommon Valor
1983 Gorky Park
1983 The Dresser
1983 Testament
1983 Brainstorm
1983 Between Friends (TV Movie)
1983 Krull
1983 Space Raiders (from "Battle Beyond the Stars")
1983 Something Wicked This Way Comes
1983 Journey to Krull (Video documentary short) (uncredited)
1982 48 Hrs.
1982 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
1982 Rascals and Robbers: The Secret Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn (TV Movie)
1982 A Piano for Mrs. Cimino (TV Movie)
1981 The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper
1981 A Few Days in Weasel Creek (TV Movie)
1981 Deadly Blessing
1981 Wolfen
1981 The Hand
1981 Angel Dusted (TV Movie)
1980 Battle Beyond the Stars
1980 Monster (Humanoids from the Deep)
1979 The Lady in Red
1979 Up from the Depths (uncredited)
1978 The Watcher

My personal favourites are the soundtracks from Aliens, Apollo 13, Braveheart and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

James Horner - IMDb

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
One of my all time favourite soundtrack composers has died in a small plane crash in California aged 61.
His output including one of the biggest...if not the biggest selling soundtrack of all time...Titanic, was tremendous.
He will be sorely missed. RIP James

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
My favourite scores of his was Aliens and Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan and Casper.

Way too young to go. RIP James Horner.

caz2005

What a loss. He was the type of composer that was able to create music so distinctive from his other pieces that you could watch a movie he did the music to without being distracted thinking "that sounds like the music from..."

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Loved his Wrath Of Khan music. Captured its essence perfectly and made the battle scenes that much more exciting because of it.

Rest In Peace.

Garrett

Just love his music for Braveheart, one of the more poignant pieces of music wrote.

R.I.P. James.

Garrett

What a loss. He was the type of composer that was able to create music so distinctive from his other pieces that you could watch a movie he did the music to without being distracted thinking "that sounds like the music from..."
I'm sorry I would have to disagree on that point I think most film composers go though phases where there influenced by their other recent work and then move on. Even my favourite Jerry Goldsmith sometimes does.

Example of James similarity to some of his Star Trek work, it may be me but when I listen to it I'm reminded of the other. 1.45 in on Krull

caz2005

I'm sorry I would have to disagree on that point I think most film composers go though phases where there influenced by their other recent work and then move on. Even my favourite Jerry Goldsmith sometimes does.

Example of James similarity to some of his Star Trek work, it may be me but when I listen to it I'm reminded of the other. 1.45 in on Krull

All Composers are guilty of it sometimes but I found it to be the case less often with Horner than say Williams or Zimmer (Who's been remixing an awful lot lately)

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Yeah his Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock scores were the most sweeping. I always have Wrath of Khan's sweepingly epic epilogue on my mp3 playlist

But I also have this one one on my playlist which demonstrates the contrast of styles he could adapt to with memorable results, which Cas above had pointed out. The film was terribly flawed but Horner's music gave the tragedy of Casper that more poignancy, playfully whimsical yet haunting which is contradictory and is why the piece always fascinates me.

And one other favourite Horner track on my playlist which again echoes, Cas's point of his diversity, is this exhilarating track from Aliens as Ripley reaches the peak of what makes Ripley, Ripley as she lock and loads in the elevator...

Garrett

All Composers are guilty of it sometimes but I found it to be the case less often with Horner than say Williams or Zimmer (Who's been remixing an awful lot lately)
Trouble is I have a ear for tv and film music even as a kid it was always instrumentals I loved, and some times when the music totally different and not knowing who the composer of a film, if coming in part way I can pick up on styles even if all new.
John Barry an other all time great, particularly at the end I could hear other bits in one film to an other, although as you say, some do more than others some seem blatantly the same I can always pick a mile off Leonard Rosenman and the majority of Michel Jarre.

Drax1

Distinguished Member

I think this is more than appropriate, given it's place in the film.
Sad, sad news. One of the greatest film composers of all time.

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
omg sad news indeed.

One of my fave composers too.

As you Guys have noted, he leaves us music which I continue to play to this day.

My Horner fave was COMMANDO :cool: ....

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Sad news. Horner's reputation suffered a little in later years, but the man is still responsible for some of cinema's finest.

I've said it before, but this piece from his Trek days is my all time favourite tracks

That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not gonna say that I didn't think he shamelessly pilfered his own work, because he did. And I don't mean using similar beats and refrains and whatnot like all composers do, I mean he actually used the exact same pieces of music in other films and it became a running joke between me and my friends.

BUT.....he was also responsible for some of the greatest movie music ever made and for that I salute him. I'm listening to the Apollo 13 score right now, which is my personal favourite of all the wonderful scores that he did. He loved his steel drums in the '80s too, his scores for 48 Hrs and Commando were magnificent.

This clip here mightn't be what he's most famous for, but I love it to bits. R.I.P.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not gonna say that I didn't think he shamelessly pilfered his own work, because he did. And I don't mean using similar beats and refrains and whatnot like all composers do, I mean he actually used the exact same pieces of music in other films and it became a running joke between me and my friends.

BUT.....he was also responsible for some of the greatest movie music ever made and for that I salute him. I'm listening to the Apollo 13 score right now, which is my personal favourite of all the wonderful scores that he did. He loved his steel drums in the '80s too, his scores for 48 Hrs and Commando were magnificent.

This clip here mightn't be what he's most famous for, but I love it to bits. R.I.P.

I don't think its disrespectful to point that out. I always thought Enemy at the Gates, Troy and Avatar recycle the exact same riff! But as you say, that's one of his quirks. And more than compensated for by his best work. Oh yeah, Apollo 13 is simply masterful.

Tragic he should leave us so soon. That's two of the three 'J's (James, Jerry and John) that we've lost now :(.

johnjay

Crazy, we were only talking about his work in Commando & 48hrs Here:

Commando Director's Cut Steelbook AVForums Blu-ray Review | AVForums

Now he is no longer with us.:( James Horner R.I.P

Barrovian

Loved his music ever since The Wrath of Khan. I was fortunate enough to be at the Royal Albert Hall at the end of April, when Titanic was screened together with a live symphony orchestra performing the score. James Horner was due to conduct, but could not due to a shoulder injury. He did however, take part in a live Q&A session before the show and was present through out, culminating in a standing ovation at the end. A special night made all the more so in the light of today's news.
R.I.P. James Horner.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
To add to the YouTube listing, I still love to listen to the Secret Wedding from Braveheart.
The oboe at 3.30 still sends shivers down my spine.

He has given me many hours and will continue to do so.

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
He's final upcoming films include
Antoine Fuqua’s boxing drama Southpaw, and the Chilean miner film The 33.

He was also attached to the future Avatar sequels

Drax1

Distinguished Member

I was reminded how good this score was when it was used for the Super 8 trailer. Lovely stuff...

Garrett

Tragic he should leave us so soon. That's two of the three 'J's (James, Jerry and John) that we've lost now :(.
That's 3 of 4 I can think of right now, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, and John Barry :( that leaves John Williams.
I think the above and some others should not only be classed as composers of TV and Film scores but modern day classical composers.

Garrett

Is this not as good as anything classical you have ever heard, if it does not move you your deaf or dead(well dead cant read but you could be a vampire which would be undead):D.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton