James Bond: Daniel Craig Collection 4K UHD

domtheone

Distinguished Member
James Bond: Daniel Craig Collection [UHD]

Canadian website have this down for a late Oct release.:thumbsup:

Would really only defo want CR. No interest in QOS. Skyfall and Spectre if the AV is top class.

Hopefully this will lead to more Bond.

A 7 Set Moore collection would be awesome (though the 3 BR's i've already watched on the OLED look very nice already).

Buckster666

Individual collection of each bond is properly the best way to release these on UHD, as a complete 24 or 25 if they wsit for the new film, would be way too expensive.
Hopefully they will fix Thunderball and Goldeneye transfers as these were poor compared to other films in the series

Garrett

Individual collection of each bond is properly the best way to release these on UHD, as a complete 24 or 25 if they wsit for the new film, would be way too expensive.
Hopefully they will fix Thunderball and Goldeneye transfers as these were poor compared to other films in the series
I thought Thunderball's transfer was appealing for blu ray.
|I not going to upgrade all my Bond set but if the two Timothy Dalton are a big improvement Ill go for them and maybe The Spy Who Loved Me.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Yup. I'd rather have individual releases as i'd only be interested in about half (actually i counted and it's 10 :D) of the entire set.

Goldeneye does indeed look naff. Need some work on that one, which I hope they do as it's probably in my top 5.

Kyle009

Big Bond fan but can't say I'm a massive fan of the Craig Bond movies. Hopefully they release the rest of them in 4k.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Yup. I'd rather have individual releases as i'd only be interested in about half (actually i counted and it's 10 :D) of the entire set.

Goldeneye does indeed look naff. Need some work on that one, which I hope they do as it's probably in my top 5.

Goldeneye wouldn't have looked half bad if they had stayed away from their digital manipulation toolbox, there is a shot as it fades out where for a few frames you can see the quality of the underlying transfer and its a night and day difference to the rest of the film.

I didn't realise that some of the older Bond films look really good on BR. I saw some pictures from Octopussy BR that someone had posted on another thread and they looked stunning. I've always been averse to buying older films on BR in general but maybe there are some gems out there?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
If that was in the OLED thread that might have been me.:blush::D

Certainly does look great though (as does Moonraker).

Loads of older gems out there. Age is no barrier.:smashin:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
I didn't realise that some of the older Bond films look really good on BR. I saw some pictures from Octopussy BR that someone had posted on another thread and they looked stunning. I've always been averse to buying older films on BR in general but maybe there are some gems out there?

Some of the best looking films are older titles.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Yep. Not all the Bonds but I think all the old ones look very good indeed!

I must admit I've seen a few older films on Sky that do look really good so I assume that would be a good indicator that the blurays would also look great, although I've not bought any so far. Ones that spring to mind are Zulu, Lawrence of Arabia and The Italian Job (original). I have previously avoided buying such films fearing that they would look too grainy and with lots of picture noise. Anyway, I've ordered Octopussy so will give that a spin when it arrives tomorrow! :)

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I must admit I've seen a few older films on Sky that do look really good so I assume that would be a good indicator that the blurays would also look great, although I've not bought any so far. Ones that spring to mind are Zulu, Lawrence of Arabia and The Italian Job (original). I have previously avoided buying such films fearing that they would look too grainy and with lots of picture noise. Anyway, I've ordered Octopussy so will give that a spin when it arrives tomorrow! :)

Well if its anything like the ones Ive got you wont be disappointed. The 60s Bonds all look great. The 70s Bonds are very good too for the most part. I think the 80s Bonds may be a bit up and down though (I don't actually own any 80s Bonds at present!).

I've just finished watching Octopussy and it does indeed look great. Those opening scenes when Bond ends up flying out of a horse box were spectacular! :clap: Any other recommendations for older films that look this good? I'm tempted to try some of the Indiana Jones films but only if the PQ is decent. I'm not seeking perfection but want to avoid anything with excessive grain and picture noise.

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
What TV do you have?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Nice.

How far back you classing as old? 90's, 80's, 70's

Nice.

How far back you classing as old? 90's, 80's, 70's

All of those 3 decades. I've seen Jaws recently on Sky UHD and, whilst it's a film I enjoyed, it's far too grainy for me. As I say, Octopussy looks more than acceptable. Heat (De Niro/Pacino) is another film I love, I've got the BR and it's not the best for PQ.

Gandhi is another one that interests me. I've got it on DVD and it looks ok, so I'm hoping the BR would be a decent upgrade.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Moonraker looked great to me too on my OLED (55" Panny).

Hunger Games Catching Fire (esp the IMAX stuff) was spectacular.

Sunshine, not top tier but great film and awesome to see on a big screen.

Aliens of course. Grainy but lovely.

American Werewolf in London was very hit and miss. Monster grain in that one so you might not want to try it. Some of it looked very ropey. Some stuff looked great.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Grainy again but lovely.

Lost Boys has a nice transfer.

Dirty Harry looked great too but again, bit grainy.

Those (all BR's) are probably the highlights of my BR viewings so far on my new screen. Still got about 50 to re-watch.

Apologies for OT all :blush:

Sunshine (I assume you mean the Danny Boyle film) is one I've had for a while on BR and has always looked great. I've not watched it for a couple of years so will give it another go soon on my new OLED. Close Encounters, what a fantastic film, but it's never looked anywhere as good as it did when I saw it at the cinema. I watched it on Sky UHD and it didn't impress in terms of PQ. You mention Dirty Harry which reminds me of another film on my wish list, The Gauntlet.

Garrett

I think this subject deserves a new thread! ;)
Mod Comment as they say^
I see other threads go of at the drop of a hat chatting about Bond in a non Bond thread but this is the first time I known it go the other way.

MacVee

Original mono audio in lossless quality would be superb for the earlier releases. Which is something missing from the Region B releases and the Region A releases got this but in lossy quality. Even then it apparently sounds worse than the laserdisc releases.

Restoring uncensored dialogue and shots from titles such as FRWL and TND or the unaltered ending of TB would be appreciated by me too.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers