Jailbreaking worth it?

Chaoslava

So I'm getting an iPhone 4 in February when my contract with VM ends (can I cancel this contract early?)

I was thinking about Jailbreaking it. GBA emulator, free apps, it's all good.

I was wondering about the cons specifically. And if there are more pro's.

Can someone fill me in, if it's no trouble. I'm quite curious.

Thanks.

localboy27

The only con for me is waiting a little longer for updates
Takes the Jailbreakers a bit longer to get the jb sorted.

Apart from that there's no other cons for me.

The pro list far outweighs the cons.

Chaoslava

Yeah, the emulators!!!

But still, any chance of it bricking the phone, Apple screwing you over? What if the phone bricks or Apple bans your phone, any way to get it back without forking out dollas?

Thanks.

woolster80

Yeah, the emulators!!!

But still, any chance of it bricking the phone, Apple screwing you over? What if the phone bricks or Apple bans your phone, any way to get it back without forking out dollas?

Thanks.
Unfortunately the answer to bricking is yes, there is always that chance. I've had an iPhone since the first one was released in 2007 and have upgraded each year on or near launch day. At the first opportunity, i've jailbroken every single model i've owned and (touch wood) NEVER had a problem with it bricking. I've had a few hairy moments here and there but nothing a google search for help hasn't resolved.

What you have to remember is jailbreaking is software specific. You are not physically changing any hardware in your phone to support the process (i.e. chipping an xbox to play copied games). Because of that, the chance of bricking is minimal but, as with all 'hacks' minimal or not, the risk is there. 9 times out of 10 though, a simple factory restore resolves any problems.

Now that the doom and gloom bit is out of the way let me say this. I would not buy another iPhone if Apple managed to permanently block jailbreaking. Without this, in my opinion, the phone is a shadow of what it is capable of. The number of apps/mods available after jailbreak combined with how superbly they increase they enjoyment of the use of the phone is sometimes mind boggling.

Jailbreak all the way mate - but make sure you fully read and understand any instructions before starting the process.

Good luck !!

Chaoslava

Do you know of any good guides to try and look at? I would do the research myself but seeing as it's a £600 phone here, I don't want to risk it.

localboy27

All the jailbreaks are different
Plug into your PC and follow the onscreen prompts.

No point in giving a guide as it will probably be no use come feb when you have yours.

woolster80

Do you know of any good guides to try and look at? I would do the research myself but seeing as it's a £600 phone here, I don't want to risk it.
As localboy says, any guides available now will almost definitely be out of date come the time you get your phone.The last couple of jailbreaks have actually required different processes, with one of the recent ones exploiting a software bug meaning there was no need to connect to the PC at all.

Better off waiting for the time then having a scour round and maybe resurrecting this thread.

Chaoslava

Yeah good plan, cheers. Still trying to decide if its worth it. I like the customisation of the phone after you jailbreak it.

Trending threads

Top Bottom