Jailbreaking 2.2.1 Firmware on 3g IPhone

Jobbypon

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I have looked through other posts on site and searched Google, but just wanted some simple confimation if poss.

I have just bought a 3g 16gb IPhone off E-Bay which has the 2.2.1 firmware installed. I don't want to unlock it as I will be using O2 (which I think can't be done on this firmware anyway) but I understand that I can Jailbreak it using Quickpwn.

A couple of questions:-
- How do I connect to Itunes to start with ? (just plug in usb, or do I have to download anything ?) (Sorry, a bit new to IPhones !!!)
- If I mess up during process or it doesn't work, can it brick my Phone ?
- I have found a video process on You-tube. Anyone else successfully done off this ?
- Are there any good sites to get free apps from ?
- Any more useful info would be appreciated !!!

Will poss have a go at it this afternoon, but wanted to be 100 percent sure I won't mess up and should work ok !!!

Cheers guys,

Steve.

[email protected]

I used Quickpwn and it was dead easy. It comes with all the instructions you need. You can register and activate your iPhone first with iTunes if you're sticking with o2 (and with 2.2.1 firmware you don't have a choice). iTunes will run a backup for you as well which is good to have if you mess up the QuickPwn process (extremely hard to do).

You have to plug in the iPhone while pressing certain buttons to ensure that it enters the right mode. I seem to recall this was a bit fiddly and took several goes but I got there.

If I were you I would run Quickpwn with the default options except for the 'change logo' one, which makes the iPhone show a pineapple instead of an apple when it boots. For some reason this really gets on my wick and makes me think the boot process lasts longer... I'm almost certainly wrong but it's a personal thing.

Once you're jailbroken fire up Cydia. It might take a while getting through to all the libraries of freeware that exist but it will happen eventually. Then you can do neat stuff like change your icons and artwork to some of the truly amazing stuff floating around on the net, plus install useful apps like Cycorder, allowing you to take very good quality videos, and really making you wonder why the heck Apple still hasn't managed to do that officially (pending the new firmware coming out in six weeks of course).

Modmyi.com is a good place to look for news, artwork, forums and hints.

hth

Jobbypon

Standard Member
Many thanks for your reply mate.

I will give it a go if I get time this afternoon and post how things go !!!

One last question, once jailbroken (if I manage it !!!), am I supposed to avoid reconnecting to ITunes, as it may lose the jailbreak ??? Just something I thought I had read, but not sure what it meant !!!

If so, how do I add the applications (from Modmyi.com) or wherever ???

Sorry if these are silly questions, just very new to all this !!!

Cheers, Steve.

[email protected]

Once your iPhone is jailbroken you can still plug it into itunes, yes. You have to, if you want to update your music. iTunes won't complain or even notice if your handset is jailbroken.

QuickPwn installs a new Apps application on your iPhone called Cydia. Cydia is your doorway to everything else. You can preview stuff like artwork on your PC at Modmyi.com - it's a lot easier than scrolling through it on your iPod - but you use Cydia to find, download and install the mods, art and apps you need from repositories round the world.

An app called Installer also appears on your iPhone desktop (or 'springboard') but you can ignore that, it offers nothing Cydia doesn't do better.

To change your icons and artwork, look up the app called Winterboard. (It's a pun on Springboard.) Once that's loaded it will allow you to download and use customised artwork and icons (such as my favourite, Buuf 2).

Cydia is like an alternative App store where most of the apps are free and do things Apple doesn't permit, like video recording (Cycorder) using your iPhone as a modem (pdaNet) sending files by Bluetooth (iBluetooth) and even a flashlight app that is better than any of the the Apple-approved ones because they won't let official developers crank the screen brightness up to max.

Of course you can still use the official apps store. I recommend Stanza, a free and superbly featured ebook reader; Flight Control, a totally addictive free game (my record is 136, for what it's worth), Remote to control iTunes on your PC remotely, plus Facebook and Ebay, very nicely realised iPhone versions of the usual sites.

Also useful is the PC app iPhone Browser which allows you to explore your iPhone files, transfer things like your Cycorder videos (since it's not an Apple app, there's no other way of getting them off your phone) ad best of all changing the text strings you get so sick of seeing, eg 'Slide To Unlock'.

There are other PC apps that allow you to go deeper into your iPhone files but Browser is the simplest and least scary, IMO.

There is also a Cydia app that will check the baseband of your phone and if it possible, unlock it, with the least amount of intervention or risk to your phone. I can't remember what it's called now - it told me my baseband was too advanced, and not unlockable. Even with firmware 2.2.1 you might have more luck. It's worth finding out: if you're on PAYG with o2 your iphone is going to cost a fortune to run. Mine does.

Jobbypon

Standard Member
Many thanks for your reply again mate.

I haven't had chance yet to look at it, but just wondering:-

- I assume I need to download ITunes (8) from the Apple store, as I did not receive any disk from the ebay seller. When I put to download, it asks for my e-mail address. I assume that I am ok to put this in and it won't cause any provs, etc...???

- Do I need to install ITunes on my PC before attempting the jailbreaking (I would assume so).

- I will be using my phone on O2 Simplicity (20 quid a month inc web browsing). Do I need another sim card especially for the Iphone to get 3g or is my standard one I have used for 18 months with Samsung G600 ok ???

Again, thanks for the info so far. Any more is greatly appreciated, as I am a big style novice at all this !!!!

Cheers, Steve.

[email protected]

As far as I know you can jailbreak the phone without ever showing it to iTunes. But I wouldn't. The first time you plug the iPhone in it does a backup of your phone from scratch, which is a good thing to have if anything goes wrong (I presume - I've never needed mine. But it's better to have and not need than vice versa.)

The reason iTunes is asking for your address before downloading is that you have left the box checked that says 'send me email about updates etc'. Uncheck this and you won't be asked again. Not that it matters either way, they won't be keeping track.

The O2 simplicity you have sounds like a good setup, if it includes unlimited browsing. I don't know for sure if it will do 3g automatically but I presume so... suck it and see. But as long as it is an O2 one the phone won't care what SIM you put in.

Note that even if you transport your old number to a newly bought SIM, the iPhone will always show 'my number' as being the original one on the SIM. A minor pain.

[email protected]

O, and check out the Cydia/Installer App thread further down. It tells you all the best apps, including a few I'd never heard of, which I'm installing as I type. At last I can lose that poncey bloody Stocks icon. :thumbsup:

Jobbypon

Standard Member
Hi mate,

Just having a go at the jailbreaking and falling at the first hurdle !!!

Have downloaded ITunes and sync'd IPhone no probs, downloaded quickpwn and started the process...

Opened up quickpwn and run. When I get to the 'Browse for firmware' part, it doesn't automatically recognise my firmware. From the Youtube 'tutorial', it says you can locate it through My Computer, etc, etc. I can't find it, and not sure if I should have downloaded it before the process...???

Do I get it from my ITunes page, or elseware. I know I am running 2.2.1, but not sure where I should copy and paste the full 'link'.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

(Sorry about failing already !!!!)

Cheers, Steve.

[email protected]

Have a look at this site:

Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running Firmware 2.2.1 using QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 (Windows) - iPhone Hacks

Yes, you need to download the firmware beforehand. There is a direct link to the firmware download embedded in the article (look at Step Four.)

It's not the best-written article, or even that well laid out, and the first time I came across it I found it so hedged in by qualifications that I decided not to bother. But after some research, I decided that it is in fact one of the best guides out there - if you take it slow and steady and read it carefully.

In fact the qualifications at the start of the article are telling you not to upgrade your firmware to 2.2.1 because you won't be able to unlock your phone afterwards. If you already have 2.2.1, like me, the warnings do not apply.

Jobbypon

Standard Member
Many thanks again mate,

In the meantime, managed to find link on 'iClarified' for the firmware. Don't know how it worked and how I did it, but managed to Jailbreak through the process !!!

Like you said, pretty easy really, just followed the instructions on the screen.

Again, thanks for your help through the process, couldn't have figured it out without you !!!

Looking forward now to having a look at Cydia and seeing what apps I can sort !!!......

Cheers, Steve.

PaulRamon

I had problems jailbreaking my 3g as the programme failed to find the update but somehow it eventually did! Im now looking forward to all the good stuff!:smashin:

Tom`

I've just Jailbroken 2.2.1, what are the best apps to download then? :)

(I have DTunes already - No idea how to use it!)

JohnWB

As far as I know you can jailbreak the phone without ever showing it to iTunes. But I wouldn't. The first time you plug the iPhone in it does a backup of your phone from scratch, which is a good thing to have if anything goes wrong (I presume - I've never needed mine. But it's better to have and not need than vice versa.)

The reason iTunes is asking for your address before downloading is that you have left the box checked that says 'send me email about updates etc'. Uncheck this and you won't be asked again. Not that it matters either way, they won't be keeping track.

The O2 simplicity you have sounds like a good setup, if it includes unlimited browsing. I don't know for sure if it will do 3g automatically but I presume so... suck it and see. But as long as it is an O2 one the phone won't care what SIM you put in.

Note that even if you transport your old number to a newly bought SIM, the iPhone will always show 'my number' as being the original one on the SIM. A minor pain.
Just a point worth knowing, if you put your new sim card into a phone with a sim manager programme then you can change the number on the sim to your new one. I have done this a couple of times using old HTC PDA's.

StevieDvd

Novice Member
Just a point worth knowing, if you put your new sim card into a phone with a sim manager programme then you can change the number on the sim to your new one. I have done this a couple of times using old HTC PDA's.
And just info you can now change your number on your Iphone with OS3 too.:)

DJACID

Novice Member
you can also make your own jailbroken custom restore file using Pwnage Tool,
and when you need to restore through itunes,

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
I read something which confused me a little.

Is having OS version 2.2.1 not a guarantee that you can jail break your phone? Does it also depend on something referred to as the 'baseband'?

Thanks

StevieDvd

Novice Member
I read something which confused me a little.

Is having OS version 2.2.1 not a guarantee that you can jail break your phone? Does it also depend on something referred to as the 'baseband'?

Thanks
Jailbreak is not the issue with the baseband/firmware, that's the software unlock program that's fussy. A 2.2.1 is most likely be unlockable but can be jailbroken quite easily.

You can only install the software unlock on a jailbroken phone - which is why the two get lumped together.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Jailbreak is not the issue with the baseband/firmware, that's the software unlock program that's fussy. A 2.2.1 is most likely be unlockable but can be jailbroken quite easily.

You can only install the software unlock on a jailbroken phone - which is why the two get lumped together.
Forgive me, maybe its been a long day and I've worked too hard lol But I don't follow what you've said.

Do you mean to say;

- ALL OS 2.2.1 iPhones can be jailbroken to run custom apps?

- NOT all iPhones can be unlocked for use with Network operators other than O2 if the iPhone doesn't have the correct baseband?

Thus, effectively baseband is to do with network operator unlocking?

StevieDvd

Novice Member
Forgive me, maybe its been a long day and I've worked too hard lol But I don't follow what you've said.

Do you mean to say;

- ALL OS 2.2.1 iPhones can be jailbroken to run custom apps?

- NOT all iPhones can be unlocked for use with Network operators other than O2 if the iPhone doesn't have the correct baseband?

Thus, effectively baseband is to do with network operator unlocking?

Yes that's right. A small proviso though is that Apple are changing the options in Itunes so you cannot select the firmware but using an earlier version of itunes gets around that.

The unlock software is installed once the phone is jailbroken, I don't think you can add it unless the phone has been jailbroke.

Steve

Last edited:

stormjai

Novice Member
Hi All,

i have iPhone 3g on o2 contract. Have jailbroken it, but kept on firmware 2.2...

If I unlock it, then update to 2.2.1 (or 3.0 when available) will unlock still "keep" or lock itself again and be unlockable??

ta

DJACID

Novice Member
if you jailbreak your iphone without preserving the baseband then it will be locked back to 02,

long as your baseband is 5.08 you can jailbreak it and unlock the phone,

use the Pwnage tool and make your own custom firmware with the baseband preserved and stick it with itunes...

i haven't jailbroken mine,
am on 02 PAYG,
hardly have times for games so only got 11 games on my iphone and 9 apps,
mostly all free apart from some,
Big Arsenal Football Fan so phone is full of Arsenal Games and Reviews,

i did jailbreak my itouch and the only reason was i had to much time on my hand,

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett