Jaguar XE, Mercedes C Class or other???

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by pughypro, Jun 28, 2015.

1. pughypro

pughypro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I'm just about to order a new company car and find myself stuck with a couple of choices?

I've narrowed the selection down to two main choices, they are the Jaguar XE or Mercedes C. Due to the limit on my grading I can only get the SE model in each and I've a limit of 105 on Co2.

What would you guys go for and why? Anyone with either car or who has made a similar choice I'd be grateful for your opinion.

Cheers.

2. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Depends on what your after, we ended up with a Lexus IS300H.

The 'Executive' edition has all the feature your need, leather, sat nav, etc and 101 Co2.

I've seen close to 70mpg on a M-way run, at motorway and town speeds it's really refined/quite. To me it also looks a lot more interesting than the usual German design.
    We held off ordering the IS300H for a while because I wanted to see what the XE was going to be like....'Disappointing/safe' is the best way I can describe the design of the XE :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pughypro

pughypro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Lexus is not in our car policy, otherwise I might consider it.

I'm with you a little regarding the design, particularly the interior of the XE, it's quite plain, especially when compared to the Mercedes C Class interior. There is something of an allure of the Jaguar though, not sure what it is, but it's drawing me back to have another look as I had pretty much decided on the Mercedes. I'm test driving one on Tuesday, so can find out how it drives.

4. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    If its just between the C class or the XE, I have to say the C class would probably do it for me. As much I've always wanted to own a Jag, the XE just seems a bit too German for a Jag, in-which case why not just go with a German saloon.

5. pughypro

pughypro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I can go BMW, Ford, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Skoda as well, but not too much excites me there?

6. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Actually it looks like the Jag XE drives better than the F30, I've never driven a F30, but other-reviews puts the Lexus IS above the F30, and comparing our Lexus with my old E90 3 series I have to agree...

So it looks like the 3 series isn't the default benchmark for small saloons any more.

Why not take the XE / Merc / BMW on a back to back test drive and decide for your self..Still not a fan of the XE's styling, but if its a better drive, than probably worth it over a C class??

The only other thing I noticed when looking at the XE prices was they seemed a slight bit higher than the equivalent Merc/BMW, but been a company car I suppose that doesn't matter?

2015 BMW 335i M Sport vs. 2016 Jaguar XE S! -...

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
  8. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Don't mind the XE from the front or side but the rear is completely euro bland.

9. pughypro

pughypro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I've got the XE on a test drive on Tuesday and will try to line up the C Class before or after so I can make a comparison. I've read nothing but positive reviews of the way the XE drives, but equally all the C Class reviews are positive too?!

10. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I think the trick with the XE is Jag spent a lot of money in fancy suspension, if that's something the majority of the public will notice is a different issue....The GT86 is the perfect example, loved by all reviewers for its 'back to basics' driving, but out in the real world people just want to 4WD VW Golf.

11. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    I take it that's a scheme limit rather than a personal one? To emit under 105g/km of CO2 on a diesel you have to average over 71mpg. One or two cars might do that if driven gently with premium diesel (Honda Civic w/ 1.6 would be a good bet) but the XE and C-class won't.

BMW have some interesting larger cars like the 5-series Gran Turismo but I'm guessing you're limited to something with a lower list price than a 3-series saloon entry level trim? If you don't need much in the way of rear seats then what about a 2-series convertible?

The Mondeo is always worth trying, although the new one has clearly been designed as the US 'mid-size' model so it's not as spacious as you'd expect. Good suspension though.

I don't think Vauxhall's Cascada has been exaggerated to 71mpg yet so probably the most interesting model there is the Meriva (can't beat the old suicide doors) but it's not going to compete with an XE/C-Class if that's the type of car you're after.

I found the new Passat pretty horrible but you could try the Golf GTE which IIRC is the only Plug-in Hybrid from those manufacturers. I gather they have pretty big incentives on company car schemes too so you'll hopefully qualify.

The Skoda Superb is an interesting car as it takes more of a luxury car approach that the generally 'sporty' attitude most large saloons have gone to. It's currently in the process of being replaced by a new model so even if the old one doesn't meet the unrealistic CO2 criteria the new one should do.

I'm guessing you don't qualify for any other jaguars?

Mercedes on the other hand definitely have other models worth looking at. The GLA and CLA spring to mind. The GLA is supposedly a crossover but it's a very low slung one and the CLA is the next sized saloon/estate down from the C-class but it's a different feel to it's bigger brother.

In short, I'd try the Mondeo, Golf GTE, The smaller mercs and maybe the Superb if the timing works for you.

12. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Jag.:cool:
    Mercs are for taxi drivers.;)
    Even if you were allowed the Lexus, I couldn't hack any car with a CVT gearbox.
    If you read reviews of the IS300H, the annoying gearbox is the thing it's always marked down for.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,441
    Had a good look at the XE at the Geneva Motorshow, and it looked proper bland.

14. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    You moaned the only reason you wouldn't have a Merc was because of the hand break? Now have you driven one since that's changed?

15. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I was joking, although a lot of taxi drivers do use Mercs up here.
    I'd still go Jag in this instance.

16. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,086
    I'd go for a Jag too. But then I have an XF so probably a little biased!

17. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Jag for me.

I'm on my second XF in just over two years. I didn't even consider anything else this time. Prior to that had a Mercedes E Class. The E Class is a very good car, but the XF beats it in every way. It looks to me like XE versus C Class would be exactly the same.

18. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    CVT's are usually horrible things. I can't see one review that's though it was a good thing on the Lexus nor one from a decent motoring journalist that would pick it over the BMW.

I wouldn't dismiss the BMW, it's popular for a reason beyond the badge (for some).

I'd definitely test all 3.

19. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Does the XE do the 'start up routine' the XF does?
    Where it seems to wake up around you?

20. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    The IS300H DOESN'T have a CVT box. It's a complex system of planery gears designed to allow intergration between the EV motor, inverter, and the ICE engine without having interruptiongs . Toyota/Lexus badges it as an 'e-CVT' because its easiest way for people to understand how it works.

The chassis of the IS is actually better set-up than my old E90, and over the pound where they get a 300bhp+ engine, it's actually been ranked to be better than the F30 335i...Just like the XE has done. There is a initial delay in throttle pick up if you mash the throttle, but unless your hunting for every last ounce of performance it's not a big deal. The IS300H is NOT a 'sports' saloon, its aimed at the same people that buy 320d...eg: cheap tax/low CO2 emissions/good ecnomoy. On thoses fronts it's just as good as a 320d, but without the horrible diesel rattle.

My wife loves ours, much more than she did the Civic (which wasnt a bad car), I perfer the way the IS300H rides to my E90 335i - the underlying chassis is really good.

Looking at the reviews of the XE, Jag sounds like they have moved the game on another notch, one thing is for sure, the F30 3 series ceratinly cannot claim to be segment leader interms of handling any more - But do people actually care??? I suspect not, afterall it still has a BMW badge :p

The Sweet Science: IS350 F-Sport v. BMW 335i v ATS V6 v Q50 - R&T Comparison

Lexus IS 300h (2015) long-term review - Motoring Research

21. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Even your quoted review says it's a CVT along with every other UK magazine. Whether it is or not though is ultimately irrelevant. The general impression of it is it's not very good in comparison with a regular auto.

22. pughypro

pughypro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Yes that's the limit imposed by the company and it relates to the manufacturers figures so the 160 hp Jaguar XE engine comes in at 99g/km and the C-Class at 101 I believe.

23. pughypro

pughypro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Thanks to all for the replies to date, it's all helpful. Opinion, both on this forum and others I've spoken to, is divided and about equal.

For every person who recommends the Mercedes there is someone who would go for the Jag

24. Frostytouch

Frostytouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I've yet to sample the new Jag engine, but the Merc unit is way too noisy in every application I have tried. It just seems too van like to me.

I am not anti diesel before anyway picks me up.

Also think the C Class front end looks great, back end looks like they ran out of cash or design time. Maybe it's just for aerodynamic reasons?

25. Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    XE for me. I like the C Class with the AMG pack, but the SE variant looks a little basic in comparison, both inside and out.

26. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Have the SE with the executive pack. Looks great in side. Would agree though the back of the SE looks very basic. Wish I'd gone for the sport or AMG now.

27. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,081
    I think you are probably flogging the proverbial here @Sloppy Bob

28. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Bishops or dead horses?

;)

29. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,081
    Sure, why not?

30. pughypro

pughypro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Well I had a test drive today of the Jaguar, the 160hp variant, which is the one I can get on my company scheme.

Firstly I should caveat that I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to cars so take my view and opinion with a pinch of salt, but I would sum up my short experience by saying it was ok?

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't wowed either by the interior or drive, that's not to say it wasn't a pleasant experience, just not hugely memorable.

Like I said, not my area of expertise, just thought I'd share. I've got the C Class lined up tomorrow, so at least can make a direct comparison between the two.