Jaguar X-Type iPod use

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by GeoffWork, Apr 18, 2007.

1. GeoffWork

GeoffWork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am thinking of buying a Jaguar X-Type (I know - a Mondeo in a frock!) and wonder if anyone has any experience of using an iPod with one?

2. GeoffWork

GeoffWork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Since I posted this there were no replies, but 46 viewings, indicating some interest, so I thought I would post my own reply now that I have got the interface, for the benefit of others. This is an initial report, more to follow. The Audio Interface cost £325 fitted and is a small black box fitted under the centre armrest in my X-Type SE. The box has three connections, a lead with an iPod dock plug, a lead with a USB socket for plugging USB sticks in, and a pair of red & white phonos for portable CD players etc. There is a bypass switch so you can still use the CD changer, if fitted. When the iPod (3rd gen onwards) is connected, the screen shows a Jaguar logo and then control is by either the touchscreen or the steering wheel controls. Four playlists can be accessed and some screen display is possible, but I have not got that yet. First impressions are good, quality is excellent, security good as no sign of iPod and connections comprehensive. I will post again once I have sorted out the display...

3. GeoffWork

GeoffWork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Another update for anyone interested. The display side is a bit strange. The interface is based on the CD changer so the display works on that, there are four playlists available and selecting one brings up a 'disc loading' message. The strange part is that no information display is available on the large Satnav screen on the car, instead selecting playlist 6 allows menus to be shown on the iPod screen, which is not big enough to view on the move, and is tucked away in the centre box on a short lead.

4. pangster

pangster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sounds... interesting and strange! lol!.. any pics of the install and what appears on the screen Geoff?..

5. lumiere

lumiere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd be interested in pics and more details please:smashin:

6. lags72

lags72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I run a Saab 9-5, but did look at getting an X-type once, so interested to read of your experience

Am assuming (maybe wrongly...?) that you bought your Jag S/H in which case there was no direct cost to you for the OEM-fitted SatNav

Glad to hear your Ipod interface has done the job but I do think it's naughty that few, if any, manufacturers are still not providing such facilities as standard now that Ipod is rapidly taking over from CD's as preferred in-car medium

A friend showed me his latest model BMW X5 (very nice) and even though he had ordered the top spec SatNav there was still an extra £200 on top for a glovebox mp3/USB connection....

Last year I splashed out on a Kenwood 8220 double-din multimedia set-up to replace my OEM audio system. Ok, it was well into four figures with pro fitting & leads etc :)eek:) but still much better value than factory-fit options given that it incorporates integrated Ipod (audio & video - full control, selection & large display, no visible cables), usb memory stick option, CD player, DVD player, auto-pairing bluetooth, fm tuner and 7" screen pre-loaded SatNav (updates by SD card). By way of comparison the Saab OEM SatNav is disk-based so won't allow CD play whilst navigating, doesn't include Ipod or bluetooth and yet still comes in at close to £2K....!