1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jagged pic with progressive turned on

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tuxedo, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Tuxedo

Tuxedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help with this issue. I have a Panny PV500 with a SCHT1500 DVD/Home cinema system conencted though a QED PCV1 component.

Works well only I have noticed that the image with the DVD players progressive switched ON can result in jagged images (especially moving images). I'm sure it only happens during the menu items of the DVD which are incidental to the main movie (special features etc).

I'd switch it the dvd progressive OFF only I could swear the progressive ON delivers a slightly higher definition picture. I wonder whether this perceived better quality might also be why the jagged lines are also more evident with progressive switched ON than OFF.

Any comments gratefully recieved.

Cheers!

2. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Tuxedo,
    the reason why you see more jaggies with progressive scan is that interlacing provides a sort of ant-aliasing (or blurring) effect on moving objects. Makers of games for the playstation 2 (which has no hardware anti-aliasing) refer to interlacing as "anti-aliasing for free". If you really want to see some jaggies then try a prog scan ps2 game. You'll swear it's running in 320x240 :eek:

Next time you don your puffy jacket and head out to an arcade, take a look at the displays in games there which all run prog scan. Rock solid with no loss of definition for moving objects but it also means more jaggies.

Hope this helps. As this is the video processing and scaling forum I am obliged to suggest that some type of scaler would sort out your problems. (I don't have one either and am in fact still enjoying 576i. I just came in here to see how the other half lived (sniff!) :(

3. Tuxedo

Tuxedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bobby,

Thanks for your reply. I think it might have something to do with the quality of encoding etc used on all the ancillary features on DVDs. For example, I can watch a film with progressive ON with absolutely no jagged movements etc but when watching the same scene through the DVD menu (showing the making of the film etc) I get the jaggeds. As the film itself is absolutely fine, I just learned to put up with these ocassional problems.

Cheers. Tux

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    I would say that your dvd player can handle deinterlacing of film quite well, but it can not handle deintelacing of video material very well.

And you may find that the Panasonic can do a better job of deinterlacing video material than your dvd player, if the source doesnt do the deinterlacing the plasma has to, it is a progressive display.