Answered Jagged lines on 4K TV?

OliverWhite1993

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded to a 4K 49” Sony Bravia X830C. Since doing so I’ve started to experience a larger amount of jagged lines in the games I play. It’s especially noticeable in games like Battlefront, Halo 5, FIFA 16 and Fallout 4, yet others like Destiny look fine. A lot of the scenery, backgrounds, and character models suffer from this problem, especially whilst I’m moving in game. I’m not really a tech-savvy person so I’m unsure what the issue could be. I’m using a HDMI 2.0 cable and the Xbox is set to 1080p. The TV is currently using its factory default settings, but I have tried using game mode and changing the sharpness to 0 but this doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. I only have a small bedroom and probably sit less than 7-foot away from the TV. I’ve heard a lot of people say that their games look stunning on their 4K sets, but mine look pretty underwhelming at the moment. Does anybody have any advice?

Last edited:
Jaggies are a fact of life with XB1 games and the bigger the screen the more obvious they will be.

Calibrating your screen should be your first stop, no one should ever use factory defaults unless its a THX calibrated mode and even then it will probably still need some tweaking.

The bigger and higher resolution your TV is the more it will show aliasing and artifacts that are in the picture all the time but more noticeable depending upon screen choice.

What TV did you use before?

There isn't a way around it, consoles don't employ great Anti-aliasing solutions generally so it is something you probably will have to get used to. There is no real way of hiding in on an LCD. If you see it, you always will. Calibrating the screen will improve the overall picture but in terms of aliasing in the image there isn't a thing you can do.

Jaggies are a fact of life with XB1 games and the bigger the screen the more obvious they will be.

Calibrating your screen should be your first stop, no one should ever use factory defaults unless its a THX calibrated mode and even then it will probably still need some tweaking.

Cheers. I'm considering having my TV professionally calibrated because I'm not sure how to get the best possible picture. Would you recommend using these guys?

Professional TV Calibration (ISF)

The bigger and higher resolution your TV is the more it will show aliasing and artifacts that are in the picture all the time but more noticeable depending upon screen choice.

What TV did you use before?

There isn't a way around it, consoles don't employ great Anti-aliasing solutions generally so it is something you probably will have to get used to. There is no real way of hiding in on an LCD. If you see it, you always will. Calibrating the screen will improve the overall picture but in terms of aliasing in the image there isn't a thing you can do.

Thanks. I was wondering if there would be a way to improve the aliasing. I can't remember the exact model but it was 23" 1080p Samsung TV which I'd had since around 2008

Thanks. I was wondering if there would be a way to improve the aliasing. I can't remember the exact model but it was 23" 1080p Samsung TV which I'd had since around 2008
There's is a way to improve it but it's going to cost you a fortune.

It involves buying a PC that will play games at 4k. :)

There is your answer, gaming on a 23" would definitely have hidden a lot of the short comings.

@Cha1ky has nailed it. A high end PC would be the only real solution.

You will clearly notice aliasing on your new TV given it is more than twice the size of your old one and 4K to boot. It is going to show EVERYTHING.

As you've identified some games will show more than others. Destiny is pretty clean mainly because of design. There aren't that many fine details that get displayed at distances. Though some areas of Destiny look rougher than others.

Halo 5 looks pretty decent to me apart from the fly-overs of the MP maps they look rough.

@Cha1ky has nailed it. A high end PC would be the only real solution.

You will clearly notice aliasing on your new TV given it is more than twice the size of your old one and 4K to boot. It is going to show EVERYTHING.

As you've identified some games will show more than others. Destiny is pretty clean mainly because of design. There aren't that many fine details that get displayed at distances. Though some areas of Destiny look rougher than others.

Halo 5 looks pretty decent to me apart from the fly-overs of the MP maps they look rough.

To be fair Halo 5 does look fairly good apart from the fly-overs and a few jagged edges on buildings. It's good to know that the issue isn't caused by a problem with my TV at least.

The TV is currently using its factory default settings, but I have tried using game mode and changing the sharpness to 0 but this doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

Also try turning down/Off the DNR & Edge enhancement options too.

See if there is a option to change the resolution on the 'TV' to 1920x1080, this may help. Or a option to stop scaling to full 4K.

I see you have posted in the TV LCD forum, maybe you can ask there how they have set up the tv with a XB1

See if there is a option to change the resolution on the 'TV' to 1920x1080, this may help. Or a option to stop scaling to full 4K.

I see you have posted in the TV LCD forum, maybe you can ask there how they have set up the tv with a XB1

Cheers, I'll give it a go when I get home

At the end of the day unless you have a source feed at 4k (like a top top spec PC as aluded to by Chalky) you are not utilising the full scope of the screen, hence it's never going to look as sharp.

I personally don't really see the point of a 4k set unless you have native stuff to put though it.

People get swayed by hype without really giving it much throught and end up wasting a lot of money. A 1080p image will look better on a good spec 1080p TV, than on a 4k set which by default has to fill 3/4 of the screens pixels itself. When you bear in mind many XB1 games aren't even at 1080p, it makes the issue even greater.

Same as when the HD TV hype hit and people spent loads on them to then connect their SD DVD players and TV feeds and then wondered why the image wasnt as sharp as on their old CRT sets.

At the end of the day unless you have a source feed at 4k (like a top top spec PC as aluded to by Chalky) you are not utilising the full scope of the screen, hence it's never going to look as sharp.

I personally don't really see the point of a 4k set unless you have native stuff to put though it.

People get swayed by hype without really giving it much throught and end up wasting a lot of money. A 1080p image will look better on a good spec 1080p TV, than on a 4k set which by default has to fill 3/4 of the screens pixels itself. When you bear in mind many XB1 games aren't even at 1080p, it makes the issue even greater.

Same as when the HD TV hype hit and people spent loads on them to then connect their SD DVD players and TV feeds and then wondered why the image wasnt as sharp as on their old CRT sets.

Supposedly upscaled 1080p content looks great on 4K screens.

The issue here is nothing to do with resolution other than the 4K res showing up every detail, but is to do with lack or low quality of anti aliasing on many console titles.

Supposedly upscaled 1080p content looks great on 4K screens.

The issue here is nothing to do with resolution other than the 4K res showing up every detail, but is to do with lack or low quality of anti aliasing on many console titles.

Of course it is related to resolution. An upscaled image on a 4k tv will never look as good as a true image on a 1080 panel.

Of course it is related to resolution. An upscaled image on a 4k tv will never look as good as a true image on a 1080 panel.

You're both right.

'See if there is a option to change the resolution on the 'TV' to 1920x1080, this may help. Or a option to stop scaling to full 4K' - TV's don't offer that as an option.

Calibration is very worthwhile - though on its own it is unlikely to rid you of jaggies.

Talk to AVF member and video guru Gordon Fraser at Convergent AV. Gordon will outline what to expect and what would be required in terms of an external Video Processor to rid you of any scaling issues.

Convergent AV - Audio / Visual / Consultancy - Services Area

Joe

Well I've seen experts say otherwise. Logic would dictate you are correct.

But jaggies are nothing to do with this upscaling. That is all I meant.

I'd of thought the jaggies are there at render from the GPU. They just get blown up when upscaled.

'See if there is a option to change the resolution on the 'TV' to 1920x1080, this may help. Or a option to stop scaling to full 4K' - TV's don't offer that as an option.

Calibration is very worthwhile - though on its own it is unlikely to rid you of jaggies.

Talk to AVF member and video guru Gordon Fraser at Convergent AV. Gordon will outline what to expect and what would be required in terms of an external Video Processor to rid you of any scaling issues.

Convergent AV - Audio / Visual / Consultancy - Services Area

Joe

I'm seriously considering having my TV calibrated but I'm just not sure who to go with. I'll get in touch!

I'm seriously considering having my TV calibrated but I'm just not sure who to go with. I'll get in touch!

Just don't expect it to fix jaggies and you're good. :)

Is it not worth running through the calibration on the Xbox One settings first ?

I was just thinking that, obviously it can't replace a professional calibration but it should give far better results than using a factory preset.

I was just thinking that, obviously it can't replace a professional calibration but it should give far better results than using a factory preset.

Yeah that was my thinking.

Was going to give it a go on my new TV but to be honest it looks bloody good already in game mode. Plus I don't know if I can change many settings in game mode or if it would change the input lag.

Certainly noticed my gameplay has imrpoved from my old TV. Could be bigger screen and seeing more or input lag. Games look fantastic though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom