1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jagged edges on pio 575

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by progomez, Sep 12, 2005.

1. progomez

progomez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Im using a pioneer 575 with a tw10h projector but have noticed on movement that jagged scanlines appear on the edges of objects. I have enabled progressive but it is still there. Any ideas.

Thanks

2. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Try turning Prog Scan off. I get this with my DVD player but if I turn prog scan off, it is fine, no problems.

3. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I had a play with the pioneer 575 a while ago, was the bosses and wanted to see how much better progressive scan was over interlaced on my pv500, but was shocked to see jagged edges when panning horizontally! was horrified, didn't see the problem with interlaced. I then decided to buy a sammy hd950 because i had problems with my dvr70 and have not seen the same problem at all with analogue component @ 576P (same as pioneer 575), even with the exact same dvd that I saw the problem with on the 575! I believe it to do with lack of motion compensation in the dvd player, this looks fine when there is no motion, but as soon as there is any horizontal movement faster than the frame rate you'll see nasty jagged edges especially on diagonals :eek:

see http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Vpro_WSR_review.pdf

Read page 3 interlaced video artifacts :)

Also see http://www.climaxtek.com/Faq/General.htm#Q5

Read section 35) :)

4. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 575 has a mediatech chip which is supposed to be able to do some amount of motion adaptive deinterlacing, so if I understand things right (no claim that I do) this should deal with this kind of artifact to some extent, and at least on some discs, especially correctly encoded film dvds.
    (see http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...yer&manufacturer=21&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0 note the 578a is the american version of the 575)

So the question is: do the artifacts you see appear with all fast moving source material, or only recorded tv, or some movies, or ...

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The Pio handles panning quite well on my setup.

Certainly better than the Samsung 745 via DVI. Until I got the Oppo I thought it was a DVI thing but the Oppo is as good if not better than the Pio on panning shots. I've been put off Samsungs for now, their pic is so soft IMHO - and I don't think it's reasonable to have to resort to removing parts to get a decent PQ!...PJ :)

6. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I do totally agree with you.. we shouldn't have to resort to removing parts to get a decent picture. I'm totally against what Samsung have done, i.e. making the analogue component picture look alot less detailed/sharper than the hdmi output. This to me seems like away of brain washing consumers into thinking that analogue is bad and digital is good :mad: I did what I did because luckily I'm able to (being a video/audio design engineer :rolleyes: ).

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That's very revealing. I did comment about the 745 when I got it, theorising that they'd deliberately made the component look pants to make the DVI look good! Well done for finding a way around it. :smashin:

Unfortunately I think they even bottled out on the DVI output, making it look very clean but too smooth for my liking...PJ :)

8. progomez

progomez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed the problem when playing irobot pal.

Would it be made better if I bought better quality component cables. Im using my xbox hd component cable at the moment.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Not sure, it may be something which shows up more when you put a 575 and TW10H together. Hopefully someone has the same kit and can comment...PJ :)

10. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the above combination and have to say that I'm very pleased with the results. I found a big improvement when I calibrated the projector with DVE. I use a Mark Grant cable (5m) to hook it all together.

I would say a more noticable problem is that you has see horizontal lines created by the scaler in the Epson- and that is being picky.

By the way, I have a 6 foot screen and sit about 11 feet away.

11. progomez

progomez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of buying the belden component cable form mark grant so maybe this will sort make it less obvious. Maybe Im sitting too close.

12. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How close are you sitting?

By the way there are still some jagged edges, but really not anything that bothers me- I have never tried component without progressive as I have never found it a problem. Make sure the black, white, sharpness, and colour levels a set correctly as this really does seem to make a difference.